Where's your local Comic Shop?

124»

Comments

• YorkshireKatYorkshireKat Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »
    Krypton Comics in Walthamstow and too damn close to my house.:)

Wow Krypton Comics...that takes me back, is it still run by a bloke called Gary? I use to spend an absolute fortune (paper delivery job money :D) every saturday at his stall down Walthamstow Market. He use to run it along side the shop which was near Tottenham court road I think...had heard they moved or went bust...nice to know he is still going! :D
  • OnDatKryptoniteOnDatKryptonite Posts: 1,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Comic Book Resources.

No, cbr and cbz files are warez of compressed comics.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    Mondo Ray wrote: »
    Hi, folks! I just tripped over this forum while researching old Viz comics and was astonished to see my old shops Timeslip and Son Of... mentioned.

I opened the Pink Lane shop in 1980 and as it rapidly took off, I partnered up with Chris, who managed the Virgin record store but was as avid a comics fan as myself, so enabling us to open Son Of Timeslip in (I think) '83.

By 1985, I'd been working as a volunteer counsellor for awhile with the North-East Council On Addictions (NECA) and was offered a job with them around the same time as FP began discussions with us for a further joint project under their banner. It suited us perfectly for me to leave (I wasn't keen on the toy franchises and games side of things) and the very able and eager Chris to carry on the business with FP.

I went on to greater things in the NHS and am now semi-retired in Cornwall.

So a big hello to all who enjoyed the little original shop, and it'd be nice to hear from any of you who remembers me, Ray T.

Hello Ray, as I've stated in previous posts I do remember the original Timeslip and Son of. I think I've got a business card somewhere for the original shop and remember the day the Son of shop opened (well at least the first time I went) as it was on the same day as a comic fair at Rutherford Hall and that made it a very comicy Saturday (© Crikey).

Unfortunately when it comes to names I've got a noggin like a sieve so my memory of the people behind the counter goes something like this; bloke with Jefferson Starship T-shirt, younger bloke with long hair and guy with big beard (still there!). So photos from that time would be great, in fact any photos of either shop would be excellent especially the Son of shop as photographs of the old cabins on Prudhoe Place are very few and far between, the nearest I've found is the 4th pic on this page.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    Hi,
    I used to go over to that shop Brainstorm in the late 80's, it was ran by a dude called Mark who always come across like some sort of cool rock star to me, think the drug squad was always parked outside his shop. brilliant shop though, i have great memories of lugging all the way over there from Kenton where i lived to get my comics. I loved his little Yorkshire terrier that was always taking a dump in the shop and humping peoples legs. happy days. much better shop than Timeslip, which was tiny when it first opened on Pink Lane.
  • SHAFTSHAFT Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My nearest one now is the small and cramped Time Trek in Bromley. I usually go to Forbidden Planet on Shaftsbury Avenue though.

When I was a kid I used to got to 'Weird Fantasy' in New Cross a lot. My aunt lived around the corner from the shop and when we went to visit my Mum would give me 50p to go to buy comics with while they had a chat. Marvel/DC imports were about 8p each then!
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Yeah, they've got a Forbidden Planet in Newcastle. I think I've been in once but it was YEARS ago.

Actually, no. The nearest is in InShops in Consett, I think.

Edit: Ah! A shop dedicated to comics. I thought they meant just a shop that sold comics. Yeah, Newcastle then.
  • Bob PaisleyBob Paisley Posts: 3,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was a kid I used to go to New Era in Swindon - which moved location a few times. now I'm just outside London and usually go to Forbidden Planet.
  • RoyceRoyce Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    Skinny Melinks in New Cross was a fave of mine a long time ago. Its long gone now though. These days its Forbidden Planet, Orbital and Gosh comics all in London. If anyone here has access to Forbidden Planet its worth visiting the other 2. They have a much more comic shop feel to them than Forbidden Planet (which is heavy on merchandise and low on customer service).

Seriously wonder how these dedicated comic shops pay the rent though!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    D.j. wrote: »
    Hi,
    I used to go over to that shop Brainstorm in the late 80's, it was ran by a dude called Mark who always come across like some sort of cool rock star to me, think the drug squad was always parked outside his shop. brilliant shop though, i have great memories of lugging all the way over there from Kenton where i lived to get my comics. I loved his little Yorkshire terrier that was always taking a dump in the shop and humping peoples legs. happy days. much better shop than Timeslip, which was tiny when it first opened on Pink Lane.

I used to know Mark reasonably well though I never found out his surname. Followed him from his job in the Grainger Market to Brainstorm which was just round the corner from my flat.

He later opened a shop in Washington but I lost track of him after that folded.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having just got into comics recently I was surprised to learn that there used to be a comics shop here in Huddersfield called The Strip Comics but I think it closed back in 2010/2011 shame as I would have liked for there to be a local comic book store. Unfortunately there are no others in Huddersfield shame really as it is a big town you would expect there to be at least one other...

Not sure about the market though there might be a stall with someone selling them will have to check.

I normally use the comics app on the iPad to read most the comics and have decided to look into the eBay retailer mentioned in the first post on this thread as I would prefer paper copies over their digital counterparts
  • elgransenor1elgransenor1 Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dufflecoat wrote: »
    Ah this is brilliant- it's turning into a "Comic Store Guide to the UK".

Anyway, my entries. I live in Croydon so go to the (small Forbidden Planet next to the Whitgift Centre). And to "A Place in Space" just behind the Surrey Street market http://www.allinlondon.co.uk/directory/1375/55117.php.

I work in Central London so go to the (big) Forbidden Planet. I also to a Orbital Comics just off Charing Cross Rd opposite Leicester Square tube station http://www.allinlondon.co.uk/directory/1226/7893.php.

And with my inlaws in Brighton there's Dave Comic Shop http://www.allinlondon.co.uk/directory/1226/7893.php

P

when I went there earlier this year I was surprised to see the FP in croydon has now shut down, another victim of the recession i'm sure. although I imagine that it was a bit high-brow for your typical croydon resident.

I used to visit the one in new oxford street when I was a kid.
  • bob187bob187 Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when I went there earlier this year I was surprised to see the FP in croydon has now shut down, another victim of the recession i'm sure. although I imagine that it was a bit high-brow for your typical croydon resident.

I used to visit the one in new oxford street when I was a kid.

It's not shut down, it's just moved to a slightly smaller shop, but a bit closer to the centre (church street).
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nearest (25 miles away) to me is Abstract Sprocket in Norwich
  • elgransenor1elgransenor1 Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my apologies.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Whilst Rufus Hound is starring in a play at the Leeds Grand, he has been frequenting my comic shop of choice, OK Comics, apparently.

He bought all of their top ten hardback recommendations in one go.
  • peteroddanpeteroddan Posts: 1,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pazozo wrote: »
    I live in Dartford, there used to be a Forbidden Planet here, but it shut down ages ago, so I tend to get mine from London, or from local markets, or just pick them up in various shops around the country that I visit
    I prefer to pick up old comics though than new ones, but I sometimes get the new English ones from WHSmiths, although I've seen they've upped the price slightly as of late

You may already know this, but there's a guy who's set up a comic stall in Dartford Market (Thu/Sat/Sun), and is planning on opening a shop soon.

He's currently stocking some back issues and TPBs, and said he will have current releases once they move into a shop unit.

They'll have more details on their facebook page once it happens (http://www.facebook.com/NewsstandComics?fref=ts).

(I am not affiliated with them in any way, but genuinely want them to do well as it'll be great to have a local comic store)