Should it be renamed 'The Wales Show' ?

Comments

• mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please explain why.
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    The Last but One Show. Please end this dire programme and get rid of those awful presenters that are on Mon-Fri, Matt somebody and Alex somebody (she's truly awful with her insincerity). Whenever I catch this show, by accident a bit like 'flu I think the presentation is dreadful.
    Put the Potter's Wheel on instead, if the BBC cannot find something better.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    The Last but One Show. Please end this dire programme and get rid of those awful presenters that are on Mon-Fri, Matt somebody and Alex somebody (she's truly awful with her insincerity). Whenever I catch this show, by accident a bit like 'flu I think the presentation is dreadful.
    The thing is that it still gets the viewers, and of course no-one is exactly forced to watch it (there are other channels y'know).
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    The thing is that it still gets the viewers, and of course no-one is exactly forced to watch it (there are other channels y'know).

Exactly, it gets quite good audiences considering that it is probably not a particularly expensive programme to produce. They manage to cover manage topics that are not touched on other programmes and get involvement of viewers all over the country which is all part of the BBC's public service remit.

It follows in a line of early evening magazine programmes like Tonight, Nationwide and of course the much missed lunchtime Pebble Mill at One. It is rare for an evening programme to be live and things can of course go wrong at times, much easier for the bigger names to record their programmes a day or so before transmission.

Some people don't like it but that applies to every programme.

I don't think Alex Jones is any more insincere than any other presenter / interview. Obviously there will be subjects and topics that don't particularly interest them but they still have to do the interview. I read an account of someone who was very nervous appearing on the programme and both Matt and Alex were very patient with her.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Exactly, it gets quite good audiences considering that it is probably not a particularly expensive programme to produce. They manage to cover manage topics that are not touched on other programmes and get involvement of viewers all over the country which is all part of the BBC's public service remit.

It follows in a line of early evening magazine programmes like Tonight, Nationwide and of course the much missed lunchtime Pebble Mill at One. It is rare for an evening programme to be live and things can of course go wrong at times, much easier for the bigger names to record their programmes a day or so before transmission.

I don't think Alex Jones is any more insincere than any other presenter / interview. Obviously there will be subjects and topics that don't particularly interest them but they still have to do the interview. I read an account of someone who was very nervous appearing on the programme and both Matt and Alex were very patient with her.

She may not be any more insincere than other presenters but she's just more incapable of hiding it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emmerdale.

That's all.:D
    Forum Member
    This show is probably the Acorn Antiques of magazine programmes.
  • Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,854
    Forum Member
    I know it's not to everyone's tastes but it can have some quite decent features in it (when they're not cross-promoting the BBCs own shows), like the one on Marshall amps the other week.
  • tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the show will last any longer than 2 years max. It seems to recycle guests and just do silly quizes and games that people eventually get sick of. They should try something else at least once a week and cut TOS down to four nights. Matt has alot of other work with the BBC but Alex doesn't really have anything else apart from the dancing spoof show for comic/sports relief which has now had its day.
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's one of the worst programmes on TV, but I understand that it gets a good audience so it should stay on air. However, why does it have to be on five times a week? Can't they have it on, say Wednesday-Friday? And then fill the Monday and Tuesday 7pm slot with something different?
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wogan's early evening chat show was live and very successful.Alex Jones is lost the moment she goes off Autocue. And the less said about Chris Evans the better.
  • mrmattybeckmrmattybeck Posts: 1,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Used to watch it wen chiles and bleakley presented it not watch it since they left can't stand chris Evans :(((
  • JoLucJoLuc Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah. The monthly anti One Show thread.
    Welcome back. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How did Chris Evans come to be foisted on TOS ? Was it part of the deal when he joined Radio 2 ? The Friday edition went to an hour for a while and was then cut back. It traditionally has the lowest audience of the week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JoLuc wrote: »
    Ah. The monthly anti One Show thread.
    Welcome back. :D

It keeps them off the streets I suppose during the day (they presumably sit watching The One Show at 1900h even though they hate it!)
    Forum Member
    It keeps them off the streets I suppose during the day (they presumably sit watching The One Show at 1900h even though they hate it!)

I don't watch it for my reasons given. But to comment on any show there always has to be a time when one may have caught it out of initial interest or by accident - both being valid reasons, I would have thought.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    How did Chris Evans come to be foisted on TOS ? Was it part of the deal when he joined Radio 2 ? The Friday edition went to an hour for a while and was then cut back. It traditionally has the lowest audience of the week.

Not sure on the timing but he's been doing it since way back when Adrian Chiles was still on the show. It was supposed to be one of the reasons he left for ITV, because he felt miffed that they needed to bring in someone else for the Friday episode.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember the night David Cameron was elected PM and drove to the Palace - the coverage was snatched away from Chiles as David Dimbleby took over, TOS journalists being deemed inadequate to cover such an important event.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    I remember the night David Cameron was elected PM and drove to the Palace - the coverage was snatched away from Chiles as David Dimbleby took over, TOS journalists being deemed inadequate to cover such an important event.

I think you're jumping to conclusions a tiny bit there. It was, after all, DD's job to cover the election to it made sense to go to him.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smiley433 wrote: »
    I know it's not to everyone's tastes but it can have some quite decent features in it (when they're not cross-promoting the BBCs own shows), like the one on Marshall amps the other week.
    Entirely agree. Why is it people who moan and whinge about a programme or particular presenter sit and watch the thing?? Are they so damn bone idle they cannot even summon the energy to lift the remote and change channel......or switch the television off?!! :mad::mad:

Like you I enjoy the oddball subjects they 'throw in' such as the one about Marshall amps. Totally unexpected! Proved to be a very interesting topic. Brilliant.

I also enjoy the interviews Phil Tufnell does with anyone as I think he has a very pleasant personality. Also makes me laugh as he's a bit of a comedian on the side.

Miranda Krestovnikoff I like to watch as her wildlife reports are interesting.....plus I find her very appealing. ;)

TOS 'knockers' all tend to have a go over Alex. (Hmmm.....'knockers' and Alex in one sentence :D). For me I don't want 100% perfection from some starchy presenter on a thirty minute 'easy viewing' show which is meant to be casual and relaxing. If I want serious reporting then i'll watch Newsnight.

Alex speaks with a broad Welsh accent because she is ....umm Welsh! Big deal....so what?!! I don't even care if she makes mistakes either. That's what I want from a programme like TOS.

The added bonus is she looks damn good, often wear short tight skirts/dresses, and low cut tops where she's not averse to bending down now and then so we get a good cleavage flash! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    What is indeed tragic is that a simple request for more information as to why it should be renamed to "The Wales Show", and a later statement of fact made in order to counter a specific point in a discussion can be met with such a response.

I am still waiting for an explanation of why it should be renamed to "The Wales Show". I can't think of any obvious reason.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Entirely agree. Why is it people who moan and whinge about a programme or particular presenter sit and watch the thing?? Are they so damn bone idle they cannot even summon the energy to lift the remote and change channel......or switch the television off?!! :mad::mad:

That is the way that Digital Spy works, there are lots of programmes that I don't like so I never watch them but you regularly see people here who obviously watch programmes just so they can have a moan.

I assisted at the making of one film for the programme, it was a subject that has never had any coverage on television previously. It was a location with very difficult access so very few people have ever seen inside.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »

Like you I enjoy the oddball subjects they 'throw in' such as the one about Marshall amps. Totally unexpected! Proved to be a very interesting topic. Brilliant.

I also enjoy the interviews Phil Tufnell does with anyone as I think he has a very pleasant personality. Also makes me laugh as he's a bit of a comedian on the side.

Miranda Krestovnikoff I like to watch as her wildlife reports are interesting.....plus I find her very appealing. ;)

TOS 'knockers' all tend to have a go over Alex. (Hmmm.....'knockers' and Alex in one sentence :D). For me I don't want 100% perfection from some starchy presenter on a thirty minute 'easy viewing' show which is meant to be casual and relaxing. If I want serious reporting then i'll watch Newsnight.

Alex speaks with a broad Welsh accent because she is ....umm Welsh! Big deal....so what?!! I don't even care if she makes mistakes either. That's what I want from a programme like TOS.

The added bonus is she looks damn good, often wear short tight skirts/dresses, and low cut tops where she's not averse to bending down now and then so we get a good cleavage flash! :D
    I think you almost answered your own point. There are segments and reporters that people enjoy and/or find interesting.
    The studio chat is what most complain about and that's mainly because of the presenters, although sometimes the guest doesn't help the proceedings.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is the way that Digital Spy works, there are lots of programmes that I don't like so I never watch them but you regularly see people here who obviously watch programmes just so they can have a moan.

I assisted at the making of one film for the programme, it was a subject that has never had any coverage on television previously. It was a location with very difficult access so very few people have ever seen inside.
    I must be the only person in the country that never watches Eastenders for the simple reason I watched about ten minutes of the first episode........and that was more than enough for me!

Trash TV and I wouldn't have a clue about whose bonking who or how many have been raped, murdered, abused etc.....but many viewers seem to think it's real life.

Out of curiosity, where was the inaccessable location?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I think you almost answered your own point. There are segments and reporters that people enjoy and/or find interesting.
    The studio chat is what most complain about and that's mainly because of the presenters,
    although sometimes the guest doesn't help the proceedings.
    Some topics covered I find interesting.....some I don't. But for a 30 minute programme it crams in quite a bit.

As for Matt and Alex, I feel both do a pretty good job and present what is a light hearted show in a light hearted fashion. As I said in my previous post....if I want serious reporting and presenting, then i'll tune in to Newsnight. People shouldn't expect that from TOS because that's not what it's about.