ipad 2

swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
Forum Member
Couple of questions as i'm too lazy to research this :D

best way to play mkv's on ipad
best way to transfer these to ipad without itunes.

Ta

Comments

• psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are quite a few such apps. You could give Playable a try. Doesn't need iTunes to transfer files.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    and for the mkv's just want to put some on an ipad with as little fuss as possible - I am hoping you no longer need to convert mkv's etc?

playable does what part, play them yes?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    and for the mkv's just want to put some on an ipad with as little fuss as possible - I am hoping you no longer need to convert mkv's etc?

playable does what part, play them yes?
    Yep no need to convert. Run the app and fire up your web browser on your computer and go to the local address the app tells you to. From there you can transfer files to it. Alternatively it can play files via DropBox etc. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/playable-play-almost-anything/id502405034?mt=8
    Forum Member
    ok thanks, but files too big to transfer wirelessly, is there a programme/app that allows pc transfer.

While i think of it is there a file size limit in either ios/format
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ok thanks, but files too big to transfer wirelessly, is there a programme/app that allows pc transfer.
    Yes iTunes :D
    However you don't need the files in your iTunes library. If you scroll down to the bottom of the apps tab there is section where you can transfer files from PC to iOS apps. http://support.apple.com/kb/PH1693
    While i think of it is there a file size limit in either ios/format
    Its massive. You'll run out of device memory before.
    Forum Member
    :D thanks as it was a one of transfer I was hoping to avoid itunes but ok.

so a single mkv of say 6gb presents no probs then.

How much is on a 16gb ipad for the user any idea
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You may have performance issues if the files are really huge and resolution very high on older models like the iPad 2 come to think of it. Try one of your files and see how it copes. As for usable space i think it was about 14.8GB on a 16GB iPad but I not certain as it varied with OS version.
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

so a single mkv of say 6gb presents no probs then.

How much is on a 16gb ipad for the user any idea

Yes, it's nearly 15GB of the 16. I get 14.7GB on my iPad mini with the latest OS.
  • tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member

I also hate iTunes and make no use of its library (there at least is one thing on which we agree:)) However, I do often make use of the third part app transfer mechanism and it is really very straightforward, just like using a file manager. e.g. I use Downcast as a podcast/audio book player and all I do is select Downcast in the list of apps in iTunes and then drag the appropriate MP3 into its file window. The app does the rest.