system health check

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 173
Forum Member
when will we have this feature on sky or is it up and going today?

i live in barnstaple

whos got this system health check

does it work?
can you give me screen shots of this?
how long does this take?
what is it?
why has sky got this on their guide menu?
why would you do it for?
what does it do for your digibox?

please help!!!!

Comments

• digitalsatmandigitalsatman Posts: 7,057
    Forum Member
    Calm down dear, it's only a forum!

System Health Check, for the one hundreth time, is a diagnostic tool from Sky which lets Customer Services look at your box for faults. Only Sky can use it, as a special code is needed. Everyone has this software, including the IDTV.

Tom :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    does it work?
    how?

thanks
  • No-OneNo-One Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never heard of a single person being instructed by CS to use it yet. I'm quite curious to know what kind of info it gives.
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When you ring Sky with a problem their computer will generate a PIN number which you input. When you hang up the dodgibox will call back to their computer with a full system report which will supposedly allow them to diagnose the fault. You will see not see this report. It is not intended for customer use.

There are a couple of posters on this forum who say they have used it so suggest you try a search
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The System Health Check simply displays a number of diagnostic menus on your digibox. It shows pretty basic information that you could probably get anyway by viewing signal strength / quality readings by adding in transponder's of individual channels in Manual Tuning, in the Installer Setup menu.

Basically, it just shows your STB make, model, LNB, Telephone Line status and allows you to enter individual channel numbers, which it will then scan and display a signal strength reading code, signal quality reading code and the Transport Stream ID. I don't have Sky+ (yet!) so I don't know what other information, if any, that the Health Check menu would display. There doesn't seem to be any sign that the digibox calls sky back with any kind of info (at least I sure hope not!!!) I'll post up some screenshots of the various menu screens of it tomorrow if anyone is interested?
  • Orry VerducciOrry Verducci Posts: 2,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know I would be interested.
  • maccymaccy Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    I'll post up some screenshots of the various menu screens of it tomorrow if anyone is interested?

Definitely.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, I'll hang on until this weekend though - I have sky+ due to be installed this weekend (hopefully the installer will turn up this time unlike the first time time I ordered :rolleyes:) so I'll post up screengrabs of the system health check screens for the sky+ box also. :)
    Forum Member
    The version for Sky+ is exactly the same to Sky Digital, except the Sky Digi has a bug whereby pressing backup takes you to the wrong screen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How will you be able to do that without phoning Sky and getting them to give you an access code?
    Forum Member
    I assume you are talking to me, Orry? :confused: If so, the bug is on the first page: Press backup, it takes you to services, not system setup like it should. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The version for Sky+ is exactly the same to Sky Digital
    I'd imagine the Sky+ would have options for testing the hard disk and Second Tuner input though? Ah well, all going well, I should hopefully know by Saturday evening!!! :D
    Forum Member
    Very true, but the first page is most likely the same, so there's no excuse, don't Sky test their software!?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's screenshots of the System Health Check option for a Pace DS-430N:

1. The familiar indicent code screen:
    http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1240/screen1ok3.jpg

2. The main, basic tests screen. This screen appears straightaway, upon entry of the correct PIN and displays some basic diagnostic information. From this screen, you can choose advanced diagnostics (see next capture), reset the LNB on your dish (presumably this powers off and then back on the LNB) or have the digibox retest (for example, to check problems with the signal such as rapidly fluctuating levels):
    http://img471.imageshack.us/img471/9900/screen2vg1.jpg

3. The more advanced test menu. This lets you enter the number of any channel on your Sky EPG, and after a few seconds delay, the box will display a strength reading, quality reading and the Transport Stream ID of the particular transponder carrying that channel:

RTE One:
    http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/6654/screen3nu9.jpg

Channel 4:
    http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/843/screen4vs3.jpg

Just for reference, here's my STB info:

Signal:
    http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/166/screen5fr7.jpg

Hardware/EPG:
    http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/518/screen6xt0.jpg
    As I mentioned before, I should hopefully have grabs of the Sky+ Health Check menu by this weekend! :D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PK, I want to know how your getting access to the Health Check menu without phoning Sky and getting an access code (which it seems like your doing).
    Forum Member
    Wow!! Thanks for the shots, I don't suppose your going to tell us the combination, are you? :):)
    Forum Member
    Also, what does the box say while the test is in progress? And what happens when you press to reset the LNB, what comes on screen?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, what does the box say while the test is in progress? And what happens when you press to reset the LNB, what comes on screen?
    Nothing - when you first enter the menu, three dashes appear in Input 1 for about 20 seconds, until it displays the result info.

When you're in the Manual Control menu, three dashes appear until you put in the EPG number after which three dashes appear in the bottom 3 lines, until after 10 seconds or so.

Also, the infotext/colour button options at the bottom of the screen does not appear while a test is in progress. Plus, the only way to get out of the System Health Check menu is by repeatedly pressing "Back Up" - pressing any of the four Sky Guide don't work.
    Forum Member
    And how did you get in!?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And how did you get in!?
    Ah now that'd be telling :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    Oh Come On! Spill the Beans!
    Forum Member
    It'll be some sort of combination, like add 1 to first number, take 2 from second and so on. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keep inputting the Incident Number displayed by your box backwards - it should let you in after a few attemps :cool:
    Forum Member
    Doesn't work, any other tips PK?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many times have you tried it though? I gave it a go there and it took at least 50 tries before letting me in. Be patient sir!!! :D