Job Seekers Allowance Advice!

Nicky_Byrne_FanNicky_Byrne_Fan Posts: 1,693
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi everyone,

I'm in real need of some advice here, every bit of advice is appreciated.

I was on Job Seekers Allowance until June 19th, when i managed to get a job.

However, this job is only on a zero-hour contract. The hours have basically been rubbish, i cannot financially afford to live on them. For example, next week, i have been put down on the rota for 3 hours! Seriously how can anyone survive on that! This week, i've only had 7 hours.

I need to pay my keep in the house, and am not getting enough at all.

The advice i want is the following:

I know that there's some rule about if you voluntarily leave a job, then you aren't entitled to JSA for 6 weeks or something. However in some circumstances, such as the job made you ill, you left to look after a family member etc.. it can be overlooked.

Based on my hours, i was thinking about handing in my weeks notice. Signing back on to JSA, and looking for something with more hours. Even part-time (16 hours) will do, but in my current job, i'm not even getting part-time hours!

However, where would i stand with the rule on JSA about voluntarily leaving a job? Would i even be able to do this?

Comments

• Nicky_Byrne_FanNicky_Byrne_Fan Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just really down about the whole situation.

I'm getting rubbish hours, which no-one can financially survive on.

Then because of the JSA rules about signing back on after voluntarily leaving a job, i may not get money for 6 weeks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My advice would be to go and speak to someone at the Job Centre who knows the inns and outs of the rules and see what they have to say about it.

Hope it gets sorted for you soon! :)
  • digimon900digimon900 Posts: 4,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you're only working 3 hours and 7 hours you are entitled to stay on JSA until your job becomes full time.
    You need to declare the income from the job, they disregard the first £10 I think. You'd have to check, but go back to the job centre and re-activate your claim as soon as possible.
  • lymlym Posts: 2,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be careful about deciding to quit your job, my OH quit his job to move half way across the country to live with me. They didn't think that was a valid reason to quit his job and wouldn't let him claim JSA for 6 months!
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    I thought you could work 18 hours pw and still get JSA?
  • ScaramoucheScaramouche Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    digimon900 wrote: »
    if you're only working 3 hours and 7 hours you are entitled to stay on JSA until your job becomes full time.
    You need to declare the income from the job, they disregard the first £10 I think. You'd have to check, but go back to the job centre and re-activate your claim as soon as possible.

This is correct. If you're working less than 16 hours per week you can claim JSA and declare the work every fortnight as long as you're looking for full time work. They'll deduct what you earn from your JSA, disregarding £5.00 if you're single or £10.00 if you're part of a couple. If you're entitled to income based JSA you should also qualify for housing benefit etc.
  • mildredhubblemildredhubble Posts: 6,447
    Forum Member
    Abriel wrote: »
    I thought you could work 18 hours pw and still get JSA?

It's 16 and they'll only pay your national insurance contributions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What i'll do then, is phone the job centre up on Monday, and ask them for their advice.

I'll just say i'm thinking of handing my notice in because i'm getting such low hours, that i can't financially afford to live on i.e. paying keep. Then i'll ask them for their advice on what they think i should do.

The company are shit basically. I've had now 2 shifts where i've meant to finish at 8, and they've still had us working at gone 8.20, and we don't even get paid for it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im the same as you, on a 0 hour contract. Never been a problem always had decent hours, but this past month i have had about 12 hours - for the whole month!!
  • donlothariodonlothario Posts: 5,289
    Forum Member
    Hi everyone,

I'm in real need of some advice here, every bit of advice is appreciated.

I was on Job Seekers Allowance until June 19th, when i managed to get a job.

However, this job is only on a zero-hour contract. The hours have basically been rubbish, i cannot financially afford to live on them. For example, next week, i have been put down on the rota for 3 hours! Seriously how can anyone survive on that! This week, i've only had 7 hours.

I need to pay my keep in the house, and am not getting enough at all.

The advice i want is the following:

I know that there's some rule about if you voluntarily leave a job, then you aren't entitled to JSA for 6 weeks or something. However in some circumstances, such as the job made you ill, you left to look after a family member etc.. it can be overlooked.

Based on my hours, i was thinking about handing in my weeks notice. Signing back on to JSA, and looking for something with more hours. Even part-time (16 hours) will do, but in my current job, i'm not even getting part-time hours!

However, where would i stand with the rule on JSA about voluntarily leaving a job? Would i even be able to do this?

You can definitely stay on JSA while you are getting such a low wage and so few hours. Simply sign back on and explain the situation. You will be given a form to fill in each week and get your employer to sign for your hours.

They will take money off your benefit payment but you will still be entitled to at least what you would get on the dole alone.
  • donlothariodonlothario Posts: 5,289
    Forum Member
    It's 16 and they'll only pay your national insurance contributions.

The amount that you get paid is of more importance than the number of hours that you work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

Just to let you know, i phoned the Job Centre today and the guy i spoke to has started my claim up from today. He said that i'll just have to sign off any weeks where i do 16 hours or above.

It's helpful that it's started from today, as i'm only working 3 hours this week which gives me a total of £14.31. So instead of that i'll get £55 because they let you keep the first £5 of your wages, and then deduct the rest £ by £ from your claim.

The only question i have is the following:

If i was working 13 hours - i'd get paid £62.01. Does that mean that i could stay signed on because it's less than 16 hours, but i wouldn't get any JSA that week because it's over the JSA weekly amount (£50.95)?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

Just to let you know, i phoned the Job Centre today and the guy i spoke to has started my claim up from today. He said that i'll just have to sign off any weeks where i do 16 hours or above.

It's helpful that it's started from today, as i'm only working 3 hours this week which gives me a total of £14.31. So instead of that i'll get £55 because they let you keep the first £5 of your wages, and then deduct the rest £ by £ from your claim.

The only question i have is the following:

If i was working 13 hours - i'd get paid £62.01. Does that mean that i could stay signed on because it's less than 16 hours, but i wouldn't get any JSA that week because it's over the JSA weekly amount (£50.95)?
  • MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As long as its under 16hours you can stay signed on.

Don't know regarding the wages.
  • tinkersmum2tinkersmum2 Posts: 390
    Forum Member
    1) If you work over 16 hours regardless of amount earned, you have to close the claim.

and/or

2) If you earn over your amount of JSA - regardless of number of hours worked, you have to close the claim.

As it is almost impossible to work 16 hours and earn less than JSA (i.e. £5.73 x 10 hours comes pretty close to the amount allowed, only slightly more if on £4.77), your cut off number of hours is going to be less than this and even fewer if you earn more than min wage for some reason.

Best plan would be to keep number of hours around the 10 mark and stay in the system as this way, your income will be pretty static even if low and your NI should be paid. Unless there is a very real chance of regular and consistent hours.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand the rules, but why do they say you can stay signed on if you're working under 16 hours. When 13 hours is under 16 hours, but more than JSA?
  • pipkinpipkin Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can earn more than the JSA rate, you just wont get any actual benefit for that week, you only have to sign off if you work more than 16 hours a week, just make sure you declare your hours/earnings each time you sign on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pipkin wrote: »
    You can earn more than the JSA rate, you just wont get any actual benefit for that week, you only have to sign off if you work more than 16 hours a week, just make sure you declare your hours/earnings each time you sign on.

So like this week doing 3 hours and earning £14.31, i'd deffinately get JSA this week.

But then if i was earning £62.01 next week, i wouldn't get any next week?
  • pipkinpipkin Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes thats right, The jobcentre should advise you when you attend to sign if you need to sign off, but I know in practice that doesnt always happen!

If you earn £14.31 this week then you will have £9.31 deducted from your JSA as you are allowed to earn £5 before you lose any benefit.

If you earn over the rate your benefit is nilled. I am sorry but I dont know the exact rate at the moment as I am off work on Maternity Leave :o Its the first time I have thought about work in about 10 months!