olive oil/vegitable oil/sunflower oil?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 485
Forum Member
wat one is the better oil?

the least fattening, the most healthy?

wats the difference between all three oils?

Comments

• holbobholbob Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    You're on the Internet son, wiki all 3. Olive oil is the one I always go for, have it in my breakfast protein/oats milkshake. Good fats!
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    rapeseed is better for frying really healthier than vegetable oil and sunflower oil.

olive oil is primarily used on salads etc not for frying
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Olive oil can be used for anything even frying-try a fried egg in olive oil!

If you want to put it in a chip pan sunflower oil is best. They also do one for fry Again and Again, it has omega 3 in it. But if you want to be really healthy they do a spray oil that is 1 cal per spray (they also do that in olive oil). :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which is the least fattening? :D:D

Sorry I had to laugh at that one. They are all fats you see.:D

100g of any of them wil have about 90-95g of fat, so there's really little difference between them.

The only significant difference is the differing amounts of saturated, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fat in each of them.

Since they are all vegetable oils there will be little saturated fat in all of them. That will be the least in all of them. Olive oil and rapeseed oil are quite high in monounsaturated fat and low to moderate in polyunsaturated fat. Sunflower oil and most other oils are low to moderate in monounsaturated fat and high in polyunsaturated fat.

Monounsaturated is thought to be the most beneficial for cholesterol, blood pressure and heart disease. But if you cook with oils at high temperature then it's thought that the benefits of the oils disappear as the oils go rancid and possibly carcinogenic with prolonged high heat. This is more so with saturated and polyunsaturated fats.

Therefore I suppose the answer imo is;

1) Olive Oil,
    2) Rapeseed Oil,
    3) Sunflower Oil,
    4) Generic "vegetable oil" (although it's most likely to be sunflower oil, or mostly sunflower oil).

There's a lot of other alternatives as well. Such as Grapeseed oil and various nut oils.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 450
    Forum Member
    There is a food and drink section on this forum you know, go there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I wouldn't use any of them. Vegetable oils are unstable for cooking and produce toxins at high heat. Saturated fats are more stable, don't go rancid and taste fantastic too. I use coconut oil and lard and only use olive oil at room temp, never for cooking.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In terms of olive oil, you've also got to consider the type you're using. Personally I wouldn't waste good extra virgin oil in instances where I was just using it to effectively lubricate a pan.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Carnivegan wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't use any of them. Vegetable oils are unstable for cooking and produce toxins at high heat. Saturated fats are more stable, don't go rancid and taste fantastic too. I use coconut oil and lard and only use olive oil at room temp, never for cooking.

Me too I always cook with lard . I use coconut for stir fry etc and olive oil for salads etc
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use Canola oil.