The Beach Boys Appreciation Thread!

TheTrader78TheTrader78 Posts: 948
Forum Member
✭✭
I thought I'd start a new appreciation thread for the biggest and best US band of all time....which I'm shocked to find doesn't have an appreciation thread on these pages.

I'm in the belief that the Beach Boys are the most underrated big band of all time, often overlooked as some sort of 'Surf group':eek:....but they were so much more than that!

They are currently doing a world tour celebrating their 50th anniversary...a new album is out on Monday (their first studio album since 1992) and there are plans to release a new greatest hits celebrating their 50 years and also a new career spanning box set is also in the pipeline. Plus 3 films (The Drummer based around Dennis, a Brian Wilson biopic and a musical in the same vein as Mama Mia set in the 60's based around their songs)

This is a group that brought us Pet Sounds (often cited as the greatest album of all time) Good Vibrations (mentioned sometimes as the greastest pop record of all time) and SMiLE (the holy grail of music....the greatest un-released album of the 20th century....which you can now buy as a box set or a 2cd package called SMiLE sessions....I highly reccomend)

Along with all their famous fun in the sun songs and some amazing hidden gems which very few outside of their fanbase have ever heard (particularly from the 66-73 period) and many of their road to Pet Sounds songs....this is a group deserved to be listened to.

They are without doubt the best vocal group that there has ever been....no one does harmony like the Beach Boys...they could all sing especially Carl Wilson and the 1960's Brian Wilson (his falsetto was sublime) and their music was high in beauty.

Brian Wilson was an awesome force....his ultimate instrument was the studio....he was a triple threat and a genius of sound.

They will be playing Wembley Arena on 28/09/12!!:D

When a group does a song like 'God Only Knows' and that still isn't their best song....you know that group must be something special.

So what is your favourite Beach Boys song and album?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its the SUMMER so my mum will have Beach Boys hits collection on...do love them, they are a bit of a guilty pleasure for me :)
  • The Kane GangThe Kane Gang Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Favourite Beach Boy song is Caroline, No...album is Pet Sounds, obvious choice but i know more of their singles and that's the only album i have of theirs...

Got tickets for the Wembley gig, 9 rows from the front, it is going to be an excellent evening...
  • Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 82,474
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like several Beach Boys songs such as Good Vibrations, California Girls, Heroes & Villains and Wouldn't It Be Nice?. However, although I have said this before on DS, this thread is a perfect place to confirm Do It Again as being my fave single of all-time!:):cool:
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Favourite album: "Pet Sounds"

Favourite album track: "Caroline No"

Favourite single: Can't decide between "Good Vibrations", "God Only Knows" and "California Girls"

"Warmth of The Sun" and "Don't Worry Baby" (both "B" sides of singles) are amazing tracks too.

I thought the 2002 Golden Jubilee Concert was a lot better than the 2012 Diamond Jubilee Concert mainly because the amazingly talented Brian Wilson was at the former and wasn't at the latter.
  • johnnybgoode83johnnybgoode83 Posts: 8,908
    Forum Member
    Anyone heard the new album yet? I really enjoyed it with it's typical Beach Boys charm.
  • TheTrader78TheTrader78 Posts: 948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got the new album....I think it is a really nice album, some good songs on there....just wish it was promoted a bit better over here like it has been in the US.

I too thought the Golden Jubilee concert was a superior concert to the Diamond Jubilee concert, due to the Brian Wilson performance....I remember buying several papers the next day to see the reviews and Brian Wilson was given the biggest praise, 5 stars across the board....The Brian Wilson Band are an awesome band live.

Has anyone on here heard 'Til I Die from the Surfs Up album or the alternative version....it is right up there as one of their best songs!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happy 70th Birthday Brian.
  • SamMcKSamMcK Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its the SUMMER so my mum will have Beach Boys hits collection on...do love them, they are a bit of a guilty pleasure for me :)

I'm sorry but there is no way in hell the Beach Boys should be regarded as a guilty pleasure. At one point in the mid-60's Brian Wilson was writing songs that IMO and in the eyes of many only the Beatles could match up to. Pet Sounds is often voted as one of the greatest albums of all time. There's a lot more to them than just being a surf band as well. Here are some of my favourite songs of there's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybvruzd3XE0
    - God Only Knows

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM7vec73eSg
    - Time To Get Alone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ2OKoLpNBM
    - Surf's Up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Tokxcbu_Uo
    - Forever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfeH44ZMtWM
    - All This Is That

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPPq_Cdarig
    - Feel Flows
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamMcK wrote: »
    I'm sorry but there is no way in hell the Beach Boys should be regarded as a guilty pleasure.

Hear! Hear!
  • VabosityVabosity Posts: 2,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just got home after seeing the Beach Boys at Wembley Arena. They were absolutely incredible.

Anyone else go?
  • The Kane GangThe Kane Gang Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Vabosity wrote: »
    I've just got home after seeing the Beach Boys at Wembley Arena. They were absolutely incredible.

Anyone else go?

I was there, luckily 9 rows from the front with Brian Wilson just about straight in front of me.

Fantastic night, thought they were excellent and 61 songs over 3 hours was amazing. The second half especially they just knocked out one hit after another. And seeing i'm a lot younger than them they looked a lot fitter than me at the end! Apart from Brian Wilson, but he does have back problems atm. He seemed to really enjoy it though.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vabosity wrote: »

Anyone else go?

I was there....it was a great show....the full show is on youtube in 17 parts if you want to relive it :)
  • StockingfillerStockingfiller Posts: 3,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got about ten of their CD's. Love 'em ! :)
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    America's most durable and loved band, I've been a fan since I was 12.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This evening is Beach Boys night on BBC4:-

9pm
    The Beach Boys: Doin' It Again
    Film commemorating the Beach Boys 50th anniversary, going behind the scenes of a triumphant 2012 reunion that has included a successful world tour and a new studio album.

9.55pm
    The Beach Boys: Live At Knebworth
    Concert from June 1980 in which the Beach Boys played to a capacity crowd at a rock festival in England, playing hits such as "Good Vibrations", "California Girls" and "I Get Around".

11.05pm
    Dennis Wilson: The Real Beach Boy
    Profile of Dennis Wilson, the drummer in the Beach Boys and the only one who surfed, the one who drove hot rod cars in competition and the one who got all the girls.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

9pm
    The Beach Boys: Doin' It Again
    Film commemorating the Beach Boys 50th anniversary, going behind the scenes of a triumphant 2012 reunion that has included a successful world tour and a new studio album.

9.55pm
    The Beach Boys: Live At Knebworth
    Concert from June 1980 in which the Beach Boys played to a capacity crowd at a rock festival in England, playing hits such as "Good Vibrations", "California Girls" and "I Get Around".

11.05pm
    Dennis Wilson: The Real Beach Boy
    Profile of Dennis Wilson, the drummer in the Beach Boys and the only one who surfed, the one who drove hot rod cars in competition and the one who got all the girls.

Was just about to post this :D
  • TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member

Thanks for posting that. Somedays you really have to be thankful for the BBC! I bought most of their singles starting with Surfin' USA and now all these years later their music still takes me back in time. We played their music in our cars on 45 singles with the centre hole punched out and played in a Philips Auto Mignon record player. How I'd love to be young enough to chase those teen aged girls all over again. The goddesses of my youth are all grandmothers!!

As an afterthought there was similar music by Jan and Dean which although not as melodious is well worth seeking out. A car crash ended their career as a duo, see the film Dead Man's Curve.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That Knebworth gig was fantastic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed in HMV the early albums on cd of course are out in a doube format with the original mono songs and a repeat of the entire cd in stereo. For £10:00 not bad value.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That Knebworth gig was fantastic.

I have a CD of this. Actually the guitar playing is close to hard rock in places, which shows the band were up on current trends.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The "B" side of the singles were a strange brew, with ballards that melt into your soul and songs such as "Well Your Welcome" which lasted just about one minute. Brian Wilson is a pure genius and he continues to make awsome sounds just buy their latset cd and enjoy it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happy 73rd Birthday Brian.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spending most of my day listening to Brian Wilson in celebration of his birthday

Can't wait to see him concert again on 22nd September (1st time seeing Blondie Chaplin, who will be with the Brian Wilson Band for this tour as well as Al of course)
  • crazymonkcrazymonk Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love them! The "Surf's Up" album is perfection.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    got the good vibrations / wouldn't it be nice 7 inch in a charity shop the other day, so sick.