Inside Death Row with Trevor McDonald

Comments

• ratty0ratty0 Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked the contract killer's excuse when Sir Trevor asked him why he didn't just call the police when he was supposedly blackmailed into killing someone.

"That....erm.....never occured to me"

Idiot.

Yes! I really find it hard listening to their stories. I want to see if there is compassion or feeling there, but I'm normally left thinking (not just from this documentary, I've seen quite a few about death row, other prisons, and prisoners) that they really lack the remorse/feelings/responsibilty/morality most would consider humane. I mean, I am left feeling they lie or manipulate their stories a lot of the time. They must be questioned repeatedly and be able to figure out what the "best" thing to say is, if not advised by their lawyers.

I disagree with the death sentence. But I find it fascinating to watch. I studied Criminology so I obviously have some kind of draw to the subject of crime. I'm not so keen on reading other people's strong opinions though and facts are facts, morality and capability is different and there is no blanket rule. So I've kind of skipped those posts where people argue their opinion as I've studied it and listened to it repeatedly. I'm more interested in the conditions, the stories, the lives and the feelings.

I also found the deal with the cats a bit disturbing. I'm not sure a cat understands lock down. Couldn't they give them something that doesn't require much space instead? A hamster or something? I can understand a cat is a more interactive pet, but come on, they're in prison.
  • spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Yes that was the one.....Colin Stagg was arrested and charged with her murder after the Police used a female undercover officer as entrapment. Stagg spent 14 months held in custody before being acquitted at the Old Bailey.

He was the subject of a very good documentary a few years back. His life has been turned on its head and in tatters.

It was terrible what they did to him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »

Luckily for Barry George we don't have the death penalty in this country otherwise we'd have killed the wrong man. :rolleyes:

He would never have been executed, he'd have been still going through the appeals process when he was released; disgusting that he's been denied compensation.:mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want to know why Baer intended to rape that woman - had he any history of being a sexual offender?:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    What on earth Did Sir Trevor do to be put on Deathrow, it wasn't in the papers

:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I want to know why Baer intended to rape that woman - had he any history of being a sexual offender?:confused:

I don't know his history, but he said he was coming down off meths......its no excuse though:mad:
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, he had a history - see this website.
    Baer had been working at a nearby construction site that day, left work, committed the murders, then returned to the job. The apparent motive was to feed a drug habit and a deviate sexual appetite. Baer also faces Rape and Burglary charges in Marion and Hamilton Counties.
  • BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rhumble wrote: »
    I don't know his history, but he said he was coming down off meths......its no excuse though:mad:

Was it meths? Or was it crystal meth?
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was it meths? Or was it crystal meth?
    Crystal meth I believe

This is copy paste from an article posted on a forum
    NOBLESVILLE , Ind. -- Prosecutors filed new charges Thursday against murder and multiple-rape suspect Frederick Michael Baer, alleging he committed a rape in Hamilton County.

A probable cause affidavit accuses Baer of breaking into a Hamilton County home Feb. 9, sexually assaulting a woman at knifepoint and forcing her to let him bathe her.

Frederick Michael Baer
    Earlier this month, Madison County authorities charged him in the Feb. 25 killings of Cory Clark and her 4-year-old daughter, Jenna, in Lapel.

Baer, 32, also was charged in the January rapes of two 24-year-old Indianapolis women.

Investigators are trying to determine whether Baer attempted to rape Clark, 26, before the slayings, Madison County Prosecutor Rodney Cummings said.

Investigators think Baer randomly robbed and sexually assaulted the women to feed a drug habit and a deviant sexual appetite, Cummings said.

"This guy is a sexual predator," he said.

Authorities suspect he killed Clark because she resisted him, Cummings added.

Police say Baer has confessed to the rapes, but he has publicly denied involvement in the slayings.

His attorney, Doug Long, could not be reached for comment.
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So Baer had two charges of rape and one of sexual assault in addition to the two murders. And he still has some woman in Germany happy to be his girlfriend! :eek:

It was also really creepy that he remembers the mother and daughter's birthdays and thinks he is a part of their lives!
  • misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Rascal' the girl, presumed boy cat, that was locked down with all the cons, is the spit of the Beast (my cat)

With all the murdering of creatures he has got up to I have told him that's where he is headed.

Just got a yawn is response.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also, I think I'm right in saying (but not sure of the details) that constitutionally you have to appeal (and, therefore, submit yourself to years on death row). sIn other words, even the most remorseful guilt-accepting murderer wouldn't be allowed to simply accept the death sentence and say 'fair enough, kill me now' - they are required to appeal under US law

Not true, they can give up their appeals and are then scheduled an execution date in the near future.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasnt impressed. Louis Theroux did a much better job of showing the prison system in the US and interviews with criminals.

If you really want to learn about the Row, watch 14 Days In May. It is a very moving film about the last days of a guy who many believed was innocent, and his lawyer, the wonderful Clive Stafford Smith.
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you really want to learn about the Row, watch 14 Days In May. It is a very moving film about the last days of a guy who many believed was innocent, and his lawyer, the wonderful Clive Stafford Smith.

Thanks for the recommendation. I've just had a look and it's on Youtube.
  • misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasnt impressed. Louis Theroux did a much better job of showing the prison system in the US and interviews with criminals.

Clive SS is a legend.

I watched it when it was first shown, when I was a young teenager, every time prison docs are shown it still sticks with me.

Humans are to infallible to pronounce death on other humans.
  • egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What was there to stop the barber killing that cop? He had nothing to lose.
  • ScrubberScrubber Posts: 4,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only last week my housemate was telling me Prison Break was unrealistic because Db Cooper had a cat...
    We watched Death Row with Trevor Mcdonald, he was silenced ha.
  • ratty0ratty0 Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    It was also really creepy that he remembers the mother and daughter's birthdays and thinks he is a part of their lives!

Yeah I thought that was a weird way he worded it. Trevor then said something like, "you're not part of their lives because they are dead" and he said something about being part of their families' lives. I didn't really get it, it seemed like he either enjoyed the fact he had controlled their life, or he felt he was a victim too, or was trying to be seen as sympathetic/remorseful by knowing their details. I'm not really sure.
    egghead1 wrote: »

Yeah, there is a vulnerability there when they are sat with their back to them especially. It's the same for all the inmates though isn't it - I'm surprised they don't get more murders, especially given the unpredictability of people.

It kind of intrigues me how they work out who is, for example, responsible enough to have a cat, or privileged/trusted enough to be the barber. I mean, they've all done pretty horrific things to similar degrees - we're not talking about someone being eligible to have a cat on the basis they stole something once, they've all murdered people in horrible (opportunistic) ways. Presumably most, if not all, of them have mental stability issues. Presumably a lot of them are also manipulative.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TrebleKing wrote: »
    I prefer to direct my sympathy towards the two innocent old women he butchered. Maybe that's just me though..:confused:

It is possible to have sympathy for both. Why do people try to make out you have no sympathy for the victims because you don't agree with the death penalty, or that children should be treated like children? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    misha06 wrote: »
    Clive SS is a legend.

I watched it when it was first shown, when I was a young teenager, every time prison docs are shown it still sticks with me.

Humans are to infallible to pronounce death on other humans.

I'm not sure the families of murder victims would agree with you on that one.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    egghead1 wrote: »

I suppose he's grown out of his murderous ways.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm reminded of a film called Dead Man Walking, which is a true story; in it a nun befriends a guy on death row, in one scene the father of one of the murderer's victims confronts the nun, & asks her why she chooses to show all this sympathy to the perpetrator rather than to him & his family, who are of course grieving.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm reminded of a film called Dead Man Walking, which is a true story; in it a nun befriends a guy on death row, in one scene the father of one of the murderer's victims confronts the nun, & asks her why she chooses to show all this sympathy to the perpetrator rather than to him & his family, who are of course grieving.

And what does she say?
  • TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jenbonjovi wrote: »
    And what does she say?

Some Liberal, limp wristed, handwringing claptrap. I've seen this film and felt gratified when the murderer/rapist (Sean Penn) was put to death. It was fully deserved and justified.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jenbonjovi wrote: »
    And what does she say?

If I remember rightly she was rather lost for words......