A question about Blink, a quote in fact

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,618
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ok so I am watching back the repeat of Blink from watch and a quote the Doctor said:

"I'd offer to take you back but someones nicked my motor"

Now, does that mean that the copper who got sent back via the Weeping Angels was never a fixed point in time and so, in effect, when anybody gets sent back via them it is never a fixed point? So that means there's hope for Amy and Rory?

OR

Am I looking too much into just one quote?

Comments

• sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    Ok so I am watching back the repeat of Blink from watch and a quote the Doctor said:

"I'd offer to take you back but someones nicked my motor"

Now, does that mean that the copper who got sent back via the Weeping Angels was never a fixed point in time and so, in effect, when anybody gets sent back via them it is never a fixed point? So that means there's hope for Amy and Rory?

OR

Am I looking too much into just one quote?

It was a flippant remark about him not having his TARDIS, more for our benefit as the viewers than the character's.
  • Banks246Banks246 Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sebbie3000 wrote: »
    It was a flippant remark about him not having his TARDIS, more for our benefit as the viewers than the character's.

Yep this, plus they needed him to go back the long way in order to give the message to Sally.

Going back and collecting him would have changed everything.
  • cathrincathrin Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always wondered about that one too. But then, I've long since given up trying to get my head round the whys and wherefores of Blink! I'm still scratching my head over the message under the wallpaper and the missile that comes flying through the window at exactly the right moment! :)

Another quote that jars on me, also from a Weeping Angels episode: At the end of The Angels Take Manhattan, when River says she can't travel with the Doctor all the time, because "One psychopath per Tardis is enough." What is that supposed to mean? In what possible sense is the Doctor a psychopath? And surely even River doesn't fit this term now that she's escaped the Silence and turned good? That line really grates on me, especially as it comes at a point when the rest of the dialogue has been so good and so perfectly-written. I'd have preferred it if she said something like "One genius per Tardis".

Sorry OP, I wandered off the point a bit there! :)
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found that annoying too. There is nothing wrong with her. Yes the doctor has lots of issues but he is not a psychopath either. They are suppose to be equals clever and powerfull. She is the only other part timelord apart from Jenny his daughter. After everything she did to convince him to trust and love her. Waiting untill his life and her parents fell apart to finally reveal the truth.Plus the losses (her childhood and having a family)and sacrafices she made prison and death. Hope she is somehow rewarded for it. 11 and her deserve at least one final happy moment together.Plus just once he should use her real name the one Amy gave her. Call her Melody or even Mels . Reckon she would like that.
  • Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found that annoying too. There is nothing wrong with her. Yes the doctor has lots of issues but he is not a psychopath either. They are suppose to be equals clever and powerfull. She is the only other part timelord apart from Jenny his daughter. After everything she did to convince him to trust and love her. Waiting untill his life and her parents fell apart to finally reveal the truth.Plus the losses (her childhood and having a family)and sacrafices she made prison and death. Hope she is somehow rewarded for it. 11 and her deserve at least one final happy moment together.Plus just once he should use her real name the one Amy gave her. Call her Melody or even Mels . Reckon she would like that.

Since when was the doctor part timelord?
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Jenny his daughter..

Though Jenny is actually a clone not his daughter in fact you could say she is a female version of The Doctor.

The episode was only called The Doctors Daughter as a inside joke/nod to the fans as Jenny is The 5th Doctor's real life Daughter I think I read before she got the part it had another name
  • DogmatixDogmatix Posts: 2,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I read before she got the part it had another name

The Vet's Daughter?

Now then, Miss Farnon...
  • Banks246Banks246 Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cathrin wrote: »
    I always wondered about that one too. But then, I've long since given up trying to get my head round the whys and wherefores of Blink! I'm still scratching my head over the message under the wallpaper and the missile that comes flying through the window at exactly the right moment! :)

Another quote that jars on me, also from a Weeping Angels episode: At the end of The Angels Take Manhattan, when River says she can't travel with the Doctor all the time, because "One psychopath per Tardis is enough." What is that supposed to mean? In what possible sense is the Doctor a psychopath? And surely even River doesn't fit this term now that she's escaped the Silence and turned good? That line really grates on me, especially as it comes at a point when the rest of the dialogue has been so good and so perfectly-written. I'd have preferred it if she said something like "One genius per Tardis".

Sorry OP, I wandered off the point a bit there! :)

TBH I don't even like the idea of her being referred to as a psychopath because the meaning is always grossly misused.

People seem to think a psychopath is a nutter who goes around doing crazy thing etc.

Nope a psychopath is actually "is a personality type identified by characteristics such as a lack of empathy and remorse..." River is not this in the slightest.

And yes I am over thinking this. :D
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sora2311 wrote: »

Dare I suggest: since 1996?
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Amy and Rory became a fixed point because the Doctor saw their graves?

Once he saw their graves and they were effectively dead in the present day, he couldn't go and change that.

And further, he couldn't see them again because the book he read clarified that it was Amelia's last farewell and therefore they never saw each other again?

Using that logic, the copper's existence in the past became fixed once Sally Sparrow watched him die in hospital?

:D That's what I took from it anyway.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banks246 wrote: »
    TBH I don't even like the idea of her being referred to as a psychopath because the meaning is always grossly misused.

People seem to think a psychopath is a nutter who goes around doing crazy thing etc.

Nope a psychopath is actually "is a personality type identified by characteristics such as a lack of empathy and remorse..." River is not this in the slightest.

And yes I am over thinking this. :D

River was very much like that, though.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    River was very much like that, though.
    DALEK: You will be exterminated!
    RIVER: Not yet. Your systems are still restoring, which means your shield density is compromised. One Alpha Mezon burst through your eyestalk would kill you stone dead.
    DALEK: Records indicate you will show mercy. You are an associate of the Doctor's.
    RIVER: I'm River Song. Check your records again.
    DALEK: Mercy.
    RIVER: Say it again.
    DALEK: Mercy!
    RIVER: One more time.
    DALEK: Mercy!
    AMY: Where's the Dalek?
    RIVER: It died.
    RIVER: Goodness, is killing you going to take all day?
    DOCTOR: Why? Are you busy?
    RIVER: Oh, I'm not complaining.
    (She grabs a letter opener and he sonicks it away.)
    DOCTOR: If you were in a hurry, you could've killed me in the cornfield.
    RIVER: We'd only just met. I'm a psychopath. I'm not rude.
    (She grabs Zimmerman's automatic, but the Doctor has the clip.)
    AMY: You are not a psychopath. Why would she be a psychopath?
    RIVER: Oh, Mummy, Mummy, pay attention. I was trained and conditioned for one purpose. I was born to kill the Doctor.
    DOCTOR: Demons Run, remember? This is what they were building. My bespoke psychopath.
    RIVER: I'm all yours, sweetie.
    (She kisses him lightly.)
    When River calls the Doctor a psychopath, she's teasing him.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Banks246 wrote: »
    Yep this, plus they needed him to go back the long way in order to give the message to Sally.

Going back and collecting him would have changed everything.

Yep, and if he'd had his Tardis, then none of Blink would have happened or been necessary!

Has it ever been explained how the Doctor and Martha ended up there...considering that they're time travellers, what 'would have been' energy could they have left behind for the Angels to feed on!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sora2311 wrote: »

Never in accepted cannon, all of Paul McGann's 1996 extended film episode is considered cannon apart from the half human bit which many of us try and forget and hope that it gets forgotten - FOREVER!!!!!!

And to address the issue of the topic on hand it is quite simple really when you think about it, normally the Doctor would be able to return someone touched by the Angels to their own time but in Amy and Rory's case the Angels kept feeding off of Rory making it an unstable point in time causing the Tardis to be unable to return to Amy and Rory without dire consequences to time and space causing them to be stuck to whenever they were sent. I like to forget the extra rules Moffat added in Time of Angels/Flesh and stone not least cause he broke/bent severely his own rules from Blink. But that's despite that the point is that this is explained in The Angels take over Manhattan and does not contradict anything in Blink :cool: (yeah I pay far too much attention to this kinda stuff)