What would turn you off Doctor Who?

Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
Forum Member
✭✭
As the thread title says, what could the writers introduce into the programme that would make you throw in the towel and turn your back on Who?

Is there anything that has happened since its return or even in the Classic series that has almost made you quit it?

Comments

• Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,925
    Forum Member
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    As the thread title says, what could the writers introduce into the programme that would make you throw in the towel and turn your back on Who?
    Is there anything that has happened since its return or even in the Classic series that has almost made you quit it?
    I'll probably regret saying this one day, but my answer has to be....nothing.
    I watched every episode through the darkest days of the late eighties, when I cringed a lot of the time, but I never stopped watching every single episode.
    I always will until the day it dies (or I do).
    :)
  • Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member

I can't really think of anything that would make me immediately stop watching. It would have to be something that makes a permanent change to everything we know as Doctor Who, and even then I'd probably watch a series more just to give it a chance. It would have to be something colossal like killing the Doctor or revealing they're all different people to make me stop watching altogether.
  • Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well a female Doctor would be pretty bad. The only other one I can think of is if it turned out someone woke up from a coma and had imagine the whole thing, but that one would be the end anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It took me a while to adjust to Matt Smith, probably the whole of his first series to be precise. I think the whole River Song/Amy/Rory arc did help me warm to Matt more, especially after the loss of Tennant. However, I wouldn't say I was on the verge of turning off Doctor Who, I love the show, regardless of who plays the Doctor.
  • kaob82kaob82 Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    I'm getting more and more confused and I'm finding it harder to follow. I do enjoy the programme but I'm finding myself looking up past episodes on Wikipedia to try and remember what happened that relevant to the latest episodes. I think it's the resets that throw me the most and I come on here to try and get a better idea of what has happened. I still watch the show but I often feel I'm missing some part of the plot. If there is anymore really wierd timey wimey stuff or history is changed to wipe out all the past series I may have to give up
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably if the show was taken over by an American TV company and became 22 episodes a year, an American Doctor and a bimbo sidekick in a low cut top and short skirt.

I can cope with a female Doctor as long as the actress is as kick ass as Dame Judy, Helen Mirren or Johanna Lumley - not these actresses but with their attitude.
  • The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tennant coming back for more than a one-off
  • Simon_FostonSimon_Foston Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    Voyage of the Damned and Partners in Crime almost made me think about not bothering with the rest of series 4.
  • 16caerhos16caerhos Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A female Doctor. Sorry, but there's nothing wrong with a male Doctor and he's been a man for almost 50 years, it should stay that way.
  • TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    16caerhos wrote: »
    A female Doctor. Sorry, but there's nothing wrong with a male Doctor and he's been a man for almost 50 years, it should stay that way.

Amen. I was going to post this, but you beat me to it.

I am collecting all of the DVDs. I have three different Doctor Who watching groups (one is on the First Doctor, one is on the Second Doctor and one is on the Tenth Doctor). If The Doctor became a female, it would be like Episode I was for Star Wars and I would stop watching and stop collecting it. It would be dead to me.

Remember the scene is Spaced where Simon Pegg is burning all of his Star Wars stuff? That would be me.
  • ryanellisryanellis Posts: 183
    Forum Member
    A female Doctor.

seriously it's like if James Bond became a woman. Just why?!?!
  • mdtaukmdtauk Posts: 620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Russel T Davies coming back. Even younger Doctor. Full blown relationship between Doctor and companion.
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ryanellis wrote: »
    A female Doctor.

seriously it's like if James Bond became a woman. Just why?!?!

Personally I don't have a problem with either but I can see where you are coming from - why not just turn it into a spin off about Romanna or The Rani etc
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    If the companions had sex in the tardis, the resultant baby was kidnapped, taken back in time to grow up as the childhood friend of her own parents and then grew up to be an existing companion who tries to kill and then marries the doctor. That sort of thing. I'm told this actually happened once. But luckily I've got a "Forget" button and probably pressed it. I'm still watching. :)
  • hajuahajua Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    Singing.

My nightmare episode would be Rose and Clara singing a Pop Opera fusion accompanied by Amy on bagpipes on every channel in a time loop until enough viewers ring 0901- SILENCEMUSTFALL
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 109
    Forum Member

RTD returning
  • DogmatixDogmatix Posts: 2,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A female Doctor.

Rose, her mother, or Donna returning for more than one episode.

More companions predestined/fated to save the world/galaxy/universe.

More soap.

Painting the Tardis yellow.

More storylines with the Doctor and/or companion saving/rebooting all of creation, the Tardis hauling whole planets around - too big, too much, too often.

Playing the Doctor up as some sort of a god.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Nothing at all the fact I still somehow managed to watch when Amy was on proved that

As for The Doctor as a Woman I wouldn't mind that in fact I'd rather like to see it
  • nate1970nate1970 Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, #1 would be a female Doctor.

The only other thing would be poorly written episodes, that's what turned me off Colin Baker's Doctor. I don't think I'm anywhere near quitting, but this whole S7 has been very disappointing, not a patch on S1-6.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    If the companions had sex in the tardis, the resultant baby was kidnapped, taken back in time to grow up as the childhood friend of her own parents and then grew up to be an existing companion who tries to kill and then marries the doctor. That sort of thing. I'm told this actually happened once. But luckily I've got a "Forget" button and probably pressed it. I'm still watching. :)

You forgot the bit about how, when the baby was kidnapped, it's parents apparently forgot about it completely for several weeks.

But I don't think such rubbish could ever be written.;):D
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EastEnders in space, with farting aliens coupled with a reluctant actor as The Doctor. I know this would make me stop watching, because it did.

Luckily, I gave it another chance just in time for the wonderful series 2.

But, yes, if there was nothing at all I liked about it, I'd stop watching it. I wouldn't carry on watching then post on here about how it was terrible beyond belief, but as a fan I was duty bound to suffer through every episode, meanwhile telling everyone else they were deluded for still liking it.

I'd always give it another chance, though.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Things change in Doctor Who so regularly (from the cast, to the crew, to the sets, to the stories, to the format...) that I doubt anything could make me say I was gone for good. That would be a mistake on my part - and probably just me being dramatic.
  • Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A series of mediocre episodes has certainly made me consider giving it up altogether, at least until things are dramatically shaken up on the production side (i.e major staff changes).
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm struggling to even watch it now. I do so out of devotion to the franchise rather than because the episodes are enjoyable. It's become a chore rather than a pleasure.

See how Saturday night's episode goes as well as the 50th (Urgh Tennant :() and I think if those stink the way the rest of Series 7 has, I think I will call it quits.
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Definately a female Doctor. That would be the end for me.