Gary Glitter has earned a cool £1 million thanks to Oasis

Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/jul/29/gary-glitter-royalties-oasis-1m

Thanks to Noel, Gary doesn't need to bother that his career has gone down the tubes.

I think he owes Noel a pint. ;)

Comments

• dee123dee123 Posts: 46,195
    Forum Member
    Can't go back in time and changed what he wrote or who decided to sample it. Sadly.
  • Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What mystifies me is why a brilliant and widely acclaimed songwriter such as Noel Gallagher needed to borrow anything from an old Glitter track. :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon Ross wrote: »
    What mystifies me is why a brilliant and widely acclaimed songwriter such as Noel Gallagher needed to borrow anything from an old Glitter track. :confused:

It was pretty much one line... and i'm not entirely sure he realised that it was already taken. Anyone could write a song and any line may well be have been used previously, all depends upon how cautious you are. And I really don't think they paid much attention to it sadly.

Might also be worth noting that Oasis have never played the track since he Glitter was outed and that was five years after the album release. Personally, I think they should change it come the re-issue and make it clear he won't be getting a penny out of it.

As I said, a real kick in the balls... just one line and he's earning £50,000 a year.

Had it been an album that is on par with Heathen Chemistry, it wouldn't be so bad. But the fact it's on the fifth/sixth biggest selling UK album truly is a kick in the balls.

I'm not entirely sure why the press decided to bring this up, this was known years ago. I think it's a poor time with what goes on round Liam, let's create a "Oasis in funding paedophile" story.

I'm surprised no one has asked Noel previously about the situation. Though what's the point? Every journalist that even gets to interview either Gallagher just asks the same crap about a reunion, never the remotely interesting stuff.
  • RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Maybe he ran outta Beatles and Slade tracks to borrow from?
  • Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    <snip>
    Might also be worth noting that Oasis have never played the track since he Glitter was outed and that was five years after the album release.

I actually felt really sorry for Noel when the news about Gary Glitter broke the first time around. I remember Noel ranting several times back in the 90s about how much he despises perverts, especially child abusers, and wishing all manner of violence on them. It must have been a dreadful shock when he found out the truth about GG, having nicked a line from one of his songs.

:D I was a huuuuuuuuge Oasis fan back in the day. Off the top of my head, I recall him thieving the riff from T-Rex's Get It On, as well as borrowing from GG; Beatles (obvs); pilfering the opening of Lennon's Imagine for Don't Look Back In Anger; George Harrison, early Verve, the Stone Roses, and dozens of others... and that was just in the first two albums!

I also recall watching an interview with Noel on some chat show. He was asked what hisadvice to aspiring songwriters was. He cheerfully replied with something like ''Nick other people's lyrics and rip off their tunes - preferably dead, so they can't sue you!'' :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was pretty much one line... and i'm not entirely sure he realised that it was already taken. .

If he didn't know that line was originally sang by Gary Glitter then he doesn't know as much about music as he likes to make out.

Obviously hind sight is a wonderful thing, so in some ways the article is a little unfair on Oasis. However maybe he will think twice before ripping anyone else of in the future (although I doubt it)
  • Fred E StarFred E Star Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wan't a line it was the melody too .
    He obviously knew it was a Glitter song as it's the chorus he sings on the songs outro.
    Forum Member
    If he didn't know that line was originally sang by Gary Glitter then he doesn't know as much about music as he likes to make out.

He knew perfectly well.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sara Webb wrote: »
    He knew perfectly well.

Indeed, as in the '' Thanx to'' bit it credits Gary Glitter and Mike Leander.
    Btw, that is how THANKS is spelt on the cd. What a rebel LOL :D
    Personally I don't see the fuss. It's history. You can't rewrite or delete the song. Moving on......
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    Indeed, as in the '' Thanx to'' bit it credits Gary Glitter and Mike Leander.
    Btw, that is how THANKS is spelt on the cd. What a rebel LOL :D
    Personally I don't see the fuss. It's history. You can't rewrite or delete the song. Moving on......

Nearly all Gary Glitter songs were co-written with Mike Leander, who was completely blameless and why should his estate be denied royalties because of Paul Gadd?
  • Apollo CreedApollo Creed Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Noel Gallagher should have conducted a thorough criminal investigation regarding Gary Glitter before he stole a line from one of his songs
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    there's usually a similar article about gary glitter now and then such as when his music appears on glee or something, and people moan about it and then someone points out that he sold most of his rights a long time ago and doesn't get the money for covers and the thread dies a death.

instead this time someone will point out that oasis covered part of his song nearly 20 years ago, before glitter was found to be a peado, and wonder why the papers have taken so long to notice, and overlook the key facts that make the article seem like nonsense, such as him getting a million quid a year from it or whatever rubbish someone has "estimated" (ie. pulled out their arse)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sort-of amazed nobody has kicked Paul Gadd to death yet though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    That's too harsh. There was a time when we all loved Gary Glitter.... and most of us wrote to Jimmy Saville. Oasis weren't in full knowledge (as none of us were) that they were pensioning a paedo
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's too harsh. There was a time when we all loved Gary Glitter.... and most of us wrote to Jimmy Saville. Oasis weren't in full knowledge (as none of us were) that they were pensioning a paedo
    i wonder how many kids wrote to jimmy saville asking if they could meet gary glitter?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unique wrote: »
    i wonder how many kids wrote to jimmy saville asking if they could meet gary glitter?

Lol:D

If there was reps on this forum, you could have them all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member

I asked to see Shaky :o... and as far as I know hes not be found out yet
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always hated that song and skipped it. And i recall at the time (before the sex scandal) i found Glitter to be rather sad, and it bothered me that they used his line.

Anyway, it's in the past and Noel couldn't have possibly known what would occur.

I wonder who feels the creepiest, Noel or Denise Van Outen?
    Forum Member

:eek: Knowing what we know now that is a truly terrifying thought!!!
  • mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's all the fuss about?

Ok, Gary Glitter is a paedo. Doesn;t mean he's irredemeabley 100% bad. He sang a song that Oasis chose to sample, meaning he is due some royalties. So what?

All this fuss - if Gary Glitter had commited many other sorts of crimes - such as armed robbery (even killing someone in the process) or rape, I don;t think anyone would have made such a big deal of this
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mattlamb wrote: »

Ok, Gary Glitter is a paedo. Doesn;t mean he's irredemeabley 100% bad. He sang a song that Oasis chose to sample, meaning he is due some royalties. So what?

All this fuss - if Gary Glitter had commited many other sorts of crimes - such as armed robbery (even killing someone in the process) or rape, I don;t think anyone would have made such a big deal of this

:confused:...
    Forum Member

:eek:I didn't know mental institutions let patients have internet access.

Nurse! Straightjacket please...
  • mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sara Webb wrote: »
    :eek:I didn't know mental institutions let patients have internet access.

Nurse! Straightjacket please...

Eh, what are you on about??!!
  • Fred E StarFred E Star Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OT - Dirty Den was a murderer but the BBC were happy to have him star in EE but the minute he got his knob out online, out the door!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eh, what are you on about??!!

You. You need help mate.