iPad or iFad ?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just been reading this article on techradar:
    http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/tablets/the-ipad-isn-t-doomed-but-apple-must-ensure-its-platform-grows-1258656

What do we think then? I have an iPad Air, which I was intending to use as my main home device, after getting rid of a windows laptop, the reason being that I didn't actually need half of the capability that the laptop offered, at least not in the home environment.

However, it is kind of crap for anything that doesn't involve just "play" (you can get by but that becomes frustrating after a little while), so I have ended up buying myself a Chromebook which will land tomorrow to fill in the void that the laptop left (and am essentially no better off financially, but, toys! And before anyone says it, I know they're more limited than a Wintel machine but I have a desktop), but now the iPad is my most expensive "gadget", and by getting the Chromebook, I am kind of admitting that it is in fact just an expensive play thing (which it does superbly).

I don't think its just the iPad mind, the Android stuff to me might be a little more powerful in so much as you can be a tad more productive overall, but it compromises in other areas, and for me, its the form factor.

So, will tablets fulfil their promise, and prove to be the post PC device we were all promised eventually, or will they forever be a compromise aimed at play first and, at a push, productivity if nothing better is at hand.

I work in TV and write a lot in my job. I don't have a laptop, I use my iPad Air, combined if necessary with an Apple wireless keyboard, instead. My iPad Air is not a toy or a fad, it's my main work tool - and a bloody good work horse as well.

I can't speak for everyone, of course. But in meetings I note around 80%-90% of my colleagues are also using an iPad as their main device. So clearly not a fad or a toy for them, either.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.osnews.com/story/27880/Why_some_schools_are_selling_all_their_iPads

"the iPad was edged out by some key feedback"
    "Students saw the iPad as a "fun" gaming environment, while the Chromebook was perceived as a place to "get to work.""

Obviously cost saving was there main aim so am sure a few thought otherwise.
    " It was far easier to manage almost 200 Chromebooks than the same number of iPads."
  • Options
    GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would agree with that, whenever I need to do anything remotely "productive", its my Chromebook I reach for over the iPad. The iPad can do work, but really needs a keyboard, and could do with a proper windowed environment (or at least split screen capability), and for just doing some work on, the CB does it for a fraction of the price too.

My iPad really is just a toy nowadays. I like it, but its an expensive extravagance. I'd still prefer a decent Android tab as well, but nothing yet matches my expectations of "decent".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is weird.

Surface Pro is an abject failure because business on the whole wants a laptops, not tablets. An Joe Public see not enough reason to pay Ultrabook prices for the fast tablety thing.

Yet RT fails because no one really wants a cheap walled garden tablet that is not an iPad nor Windows.
  • Options
    BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Surface Pro is an abject failure because business on the whole wants a laptops, not tablets
    I am not sure! I see plenty of iPads in use in places like M&S - obviously running dedicated apps written by the IT Department. Similarly, and very recently, the US Military has ordered vast numbers to do similar things.

Business MAY want laptops for general purpose computing but there does seem to be a growing market for pre-programmed tablets for front-end staff!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Writing the software is far more costly than the actual devices in use so it can scale.