Why are all the Disney girls so popular all of a sudden?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
Forum Member
✭✭
They're pretty huge in America this year after years of pretty average success.

Miley went straight to #1 on iTunes and is now back at #4 after the video release, Ariana Grande went straight to #1 and has sold over 1.5 million downloads, Demi Lovato went to #1 on iTunes with 'Heart Attack' and Selena Gomez shot straight to the top five there as well. Currently Miley, Selena and Ariana are all in the top 15 there (#4, 11 and #15) and look to be sticking around to be pretty big hits.

Also in the UK we had Bridgit Mendler randomly getting a top ten hit and Demi going to #3 even though Disney girls never make an impact here.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Popular with kids, doesn't mean much. Was the same when the Spice Girls brainwashed children in the 90s.
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Better material to work with? Plus they're awesome which helps :).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Ariana isnt disney :)
  • pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,098
    Forum Member
    I'm happy for Demi, she honestly deserves it, I hate Disney Channel stars, but her and Bridgit are the only ones I can cope with
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New generation i guess. Not really my era or cup of tea.
    Gimme Madonna, Spice Girls, Britney, Whitney, Janet Jackson,
    Kylie, Cher, Gaga & Christina any day over them.
  • SexSex Posts: 44,161
    Forum Member
    really happy for demi & miley!
  • cashloot147cashloot147 Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Demi deserves her recognition as she is a fantastic singer and has co-written a pretty decent album. Don't know Ariana, Miley is becoming a bit of a Rihanna wannabe (and I hate Rihanna of the past 2 years!!) and Selena is just a bit bland.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    Ariana's success was a bit out of left field (although I am a fan of her and I'm happy she's doing well!).

Demi is successful because she's actually talented, plus some exposure from x-factor.

Miley's success with this one song is because people like a good trainwreck mess. She won't have continued success.

Selena because she sleeps with Justin Bieber.
  • chrisgeorgiou46chrisgeorgiou46 Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    I prefer the last generation of ex-disney popstars. JT, Xtina and Britney. Dream team!
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,290
    Forum Member
    Disney girls suck.

Disney princesses are the best!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think, as someone else said, that their material is much better. Alot of their previous stuff was very 'teen pop' sounding because of their own age, and the age of their fan base. However, now both they and their fan bases have grown up they're free to make more grown up (and better) music like 'Come And Get It' and 'We Can't Stop'. I also think their current singles are probably the most commercial and widely appealing they've ever released so that helps.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ariana Grande isn't from Disney. She's a slave to Viacom. That's better or worse depending on how you look at it.
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ariana is like the best thing in he world, I adore her :D.
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Popular with kids, doesn't mean much. Was the same when the Spice Girls brainwashed children in the 90s.

you really are bitter that the spice girls dominated a time when oasis should have been the global stars. Yes I agree oasis were much better and all that.

Disney girls are young, hot and are part of the facebook/twitter era were fans become mobs that will do anything to help there heros no matter how insane It sounds or is.
  • jamesisacejamesisace Posts: 1,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None of them are even involved in Disney anymore. Demi's last two albums have been fantastic pop albums
  • ItsallaboutyouItsallaboutyou Posts: 1,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it me or do the current crop of Disney girls look and sound alike? Christina/Britney had and have their own image but this lot there is little difference between them.

On top of that, once they reach mid 20s some of them breakdown e.g Britney and Lindsay Lohan.

An American Jimmy Saville at play maybe?
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    The Disney girls have always been popular. Okay, they're a little bit higher in the charts this year, but Miley Cyrus, Selena Gomez, etc. have all been famous for years, constantly getting media coverage. You don't have to be getting top 10 hits to be "popular".

And Party In the USA was a far bigger song than anything they've released this year.

So I don't find it weird. It's not like these are all unknown people coming out of nowhere and getting hits.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    homer2012 wrote: »
    you really are bitter that the spice girls dominated a time when oasis should have been the global stars. Yes I agree oasis were much better and all that.

Disney girls are young, hot and are part of the facebook/twitter era were fans become mobs that will do anything to help there heros no matter how insane It sounds or is.

Not necessarily. Oasis have a better legacy and credibility, as do Radiohead. I'm just giving the truth... Eventually these marketing acts dies down and is looked back upon in embarrassment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Demi is incredibly talented so it was about time she got recognition.
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Not necessarily. Oasis have a better legacy and credibility, as do Radiohead. I'm just giving the truth... Eventually these marketing acts dies down and is looked back upon in embarrassment.

agree with 99% of that, Spice girls did a lot of good outside the music world and influenced a generation of young girls/women.

I was asking myself the question yesterday in the current charts or for the past 10 years will any of these acts even be remembered? I was listening to The Who at the time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Demi always had 'world class' singing talent from her first album. It's just taken her a while for people to see that. Glad she's finally getting the recognition she deserves.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am really happy about Demi and Selena finally getting the credit they deserve.
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Now all we need is for Ashley Tisdale and Vanessa Hudgens to make a chart comeback :D

I think they're all popular now because they are all finding their sound and are more respected by people in the industry and the public because they're in their 20's now and are not kids anymore. I don't think Mike Will Made It would have worked with 15 year old Miley.
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's right. In fact I remember getting kidnapped by the Spice girls in the 90s and being forced to watch propaganda videos so I would buy their records and not go to church.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disney girls? That's something else to add to the list of things I've never heard of.