Posting google images to site/forum (in mozilla firefox browser)

I can normally post google images on most sites (in mozilla firefox) except for one site/forum. I know that others can do this (i.e. copy image and paste it there) since they have said so and I see their images posted. So why can't I do this on that same site? It operates with adobe flash plug in - is that a clue?

I try to copy image but it doesn't have a paste facility (neutral/unavailable grey). Have tried to "copy location" and get it pasted but it comes up only as a word description, i.e. not photo. I tried typing ...... in front and after the typed copy location...still no joy, i.e. again just comes up as the typed reference (no photo).

What can I do to get a direct photo on to that forum (as others do)?

Comments

• flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Ok so i google image search a banana and it bring up a grid of bananas.

i click the one i want and it pops out.

one of the buttons available in the pop out is 'view image' i click that and now the only thing in the browser tab i a banana.

i go to the address bar at the top of the browser and i can see the address of the actual image.

i click in there to highlight it and copy it with ctrl+c or right click and go to copy.

i'd then paster that inside img tags like banana.jpg

that is the usual way but some forums may use a different format the thing used by this forum is called BBcode there are others.

maybe it would be useful to 'quote' a post with an image in so you can see what they did?
  • amyawakeamyawake Posts: 7,846
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    Ok so i google image search a banana and it bring up a grid of bananas.

i click the one i want and it pops out.

one of the buttons available in the pop out is 'view image' i click that and now the only thing in the browser tab i a banana.

i go to the address bar at the top of the browser and i can see the address of the actual image.

i click in there to highlight it and copy it with ctrl+c or right click and go to copy.

i'd then paster that inside img tags like banana.jpg

that is the usual way but some forums may use a different format the thing used by this forum is called BBcode there are others.

maybe it would be useful to 'quote' a post with an image in so you can see what they did?
    Well I tried this, e.g. copying the address bar from view image...

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

Wouldn't allow me to .... it (on forum). It's actually a chat site so doesn't have the BB code.

Also, doing as you suggested, produces the same result as my clicking on copy image location and pasting it (which is shorter)...still the word link.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    amyawake wrote: »

0ClKUClKUClKUFMv7trPiFxO

Wouldn't allow me to .... it (on forum). It's actually a chat site so doesn't have the BB code.

Also, doing as you suggested, produces the same result as my clicking on copy image location and pasting it (which is shorter)...still the word link.

you are not doing what i said.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

0ClKUClKUClKUFM<snip>

You have missed out a step.

If you just right click on the image in the grid on Google you get a URL like you have posted. That will not work.

You need to left click on the image first. That makes it display on a black background. If you now right click on the image and select View Image you get the true URL of the image.
    Forum Member
    tealady wrote: »
    I admit it sounds similar...the difference here is that others on this chat site can simply click on google image, copy and paste a photo which is what I want to do but can't - doesn't allow this.
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    You have missed out a step.

If you just right click on the image in the grid on Google you get a URL like you have posted. That will not work.

You need to left click on the image first. That makes it display on a black background. If you now right click on the image and select View Image you get the true URL of the image.

OK - yes tried that...when it then goes to the address section and I click on the image line of info.(not the 2 upper lines of "background") gives exactly the same info though (as #3 here) and still doesn't allow me to ... it once in the post section (before clicking it to send).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK - yes tried that...when it then goes to the address section and I click on the image line of info.(not the 2 upper lines of "background") gives exactly the same info though (as #3 here) and still doesn't allow me to ... it once in the post section (before clicking it to send).
    OK just to make sure we are all singing from the same hymn sheet. :)

The steps to take are...
    1. Go to Google
    2. Enter your search term and select Images
    3. You get a grid of thumbnail images on a white background.
    4. Find the one you like and left click on it.
    5. The display of thumbnails will part and in the middle of the screen on a black background is the image you have clicked on. At this stage you can still see the other thumbnail images above and below the black band.
    6. Right click on the image in the black band
    7. From the pop-out menu select View Image
    8. The image should now open in isolation with nothing else visible on screen
    9. The address bar of the browser should show the URL of the image, something like this
    Enter "trees" into Google and get this

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=trees&client=firefox-a&hs=8Ye&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=0giXUo3sIeGb0QXkt4DIAg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=582&dpr=1

Click on one of them to get this

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=trees&client=firefox-a&hs=8Ye&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=0giXUo3sIeGb0QXkt4DIAg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=582&dpr=1#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=NvDMQpvh9C-UfM%3A%3BN-42e2QoessedM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.stirling.gov.uk%252F__images%252Fplanning%252C-regulation-_and_-waste%252Fplanning%252Fsundown-tree.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.stirling.gov.uk%252Fservices%252Fbusiness-and-trade%252Fcountryside-and-farming%252Fparks%252C-gardens-and-open-spaces-management-and-maintenance%252Ftree-management%3B450%3B326

And finally right click and select View Image to get this

http://www.stirling.gov.uk/__images/planning,-regulation-_and_-waste/planning/sundown-tree.jpg

By the way that is "View Image" NOT "View Image Info" you don't want the latter.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I admit it sounds similar...the difference here is that others on this chat site can simply click on google image, copy and paste a photo which is what I want to do but can't - doesn't allow this.
    How do you know they are pasting the image - many forums don't allow it.

The best way in to right-click on the image and select 'copy image URL'. To make sure it appears in the forum, make sure you click on the image icon (a landscape image usually) to insert the link and not the URL icon (the globe and chain).
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

These forums don't allow you to use the tags. No matter how many times you try it, they'll only get displayed as links.
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    How do you know they are pasting the image - many forums don't allow it.

The best way in to right-click on the image and select 'copy image URL'. To make sure it appears in the forum, make sure you click on the image icon (a landscape image usually) to insert the link and not the URL icon (the globe and chain).
    It's a chat site, not a forum, that members are transferring google images in (via simply copying and pasting, which doesn't work for me). Have tried both 'copy image' and 'copy image location' unsuccessfully.

Will try chrisjr's method a bit later...thanks chris.
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    These forums don't allow you to use the tags. No matter how many times you try it, they'll only get displayed as links.

It's a chat site and, as mentioned, other members are simply copying and pasting google images there so the question is...why can't I do so? I am in mozilla firefox and that chat site operates on an adobe flash plug in...for what that's worth by way of explanation.
    Forum Member
    Thanks chrisjr...will try your detailed method when I have a little more time later today.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a chat site and, as mentioned, other members are simply copying and pasting google images there so the question is...why can't I do so? I am in mozilla firefox and that chat site operates on an adobe flash plug in...for what that's worth by way of explanation.

Ah, okay. I misread your first post. I thought you were talking about these forums.
    Forum Member
    chrisjr - BRILL! It works! Thanks so much (I didn't left click initially).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem you were having is that the URLs (if that is even what they are) if you just right click on the thumbnails in the initial Google page only mean something to Google.

So if you copy those and paste into something that isn't Google it does the electronic equivalent of "WTF is this crap?" and spits it out in disgust.:)

That's why you need the left click step to finally get at the real URL of the image.

And actually in my 9 point step guide steps 8 and 9 are optional. Step 7 could be changed to "Copy Image Location" and that will get you the URL directly.
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member

Amy, I think you should add chrisjr to your Christmas card list, your computer might have been struggling to see in the new year without his and others advice.
    Forum Member
    LION8TIGER wrote: »
    Amy, I think you should add chrisjr to your Christmas card list, your computer might have been struggling to see in the new year without his and others advice.
    Well, I am very, very grateful to him for sure! He has been immensely helpful and improved the quality of my life here as a full time, housebound carer. I spend most of my time on my laptop.

Xmas is a nonsense to me - consumerism eclipsing JC (and am not a christian anyway) so I don't celebrate it. That said, if I saw chris I would give him an enormous hug! :)
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    consumerism eclipsing JC...

And JC, in his own turn, eclipsed Saturnalia and all the other pagan festivals that were held at this time of year all over the world.... I wonder if that makes consumerism a new religion...?
    Forum Member
    mred2000 wrote: »
    And JC, in his own turn, eclipsed Saturnalia and all the other pagan festivals that were held at this time of year all over the world.... I wonder if that makes consumerism a new religion...?
    Ha...need you ask? Money is worshipped is it not? (Don't get me started!....) :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ha...need you ask? Money is worshipped is it not? (Don't get me started!....) :rolleyes:

Yep. And it's been the driving factor behind a fair few established religions anyway before consumerism came on the scene in a big way...
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    I don't worship money ....... (cos I aint got any)
    Forum Member
    LION8TIGER wrote: »
    I don't worship money ....... (cos I aint got any)
    Wow Lion - my remark wasn't directed at you personally. It obviously hit a nerve though, so sorry for that.

I don't have much money either and don't envy the rich.

Rather, I resonate with this quote...

"we are not rich by what we possess, but by what we can do without" (Immanuel Kant)

.....it's a spiritual thing which most may not "get". :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow Lion - my remark wasn't directed at you personally. It obviously hit a nerve though, so sorry for that.

I don't have much money either and don't envy the rich.

Rather, I resonate with this quote...

"we are not rich by what we possess, but by what we can do without" (Immanuel Kant)

.....it's a spiritual thing which most may not "get". :)

I think Lion was being humorous as opposed to upset...
    Forum Member
    mred2000 wrote: »
    I think Lion was being humorous as opposed to upset...
    Really? Hmmm....sometimes emoticons seem essential! :rolleyes: ;):p