Big Girls Toys.

ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
Forum Member
No, not the thing some of you dirty minded people are probably thinking of :p I'm sure most of you have heard the phrase "big boys toys", or maybe "boys and their toys", referring to an adult male, with immature traits.

Sure, these men exist (and I don't think there's anything wrong with a bit of harmless fun).I've seen grown men ganged around, waiting for their go on the remote controlled helicopter :D ...while their wives and girlfriends look on and sigh, and maybe utter this phrase, but what about the reverse? I'm talkimg about women who;

- Have a film collection made up almost entirely of disney films

- Wear a onesie

- Take teddy bears to bed

- Listen to boy bands aimed at tweens

- Get really scared watching horror films

- Have an obsession with the colour pink

- Have little dolls and stickers in their car that say "princess" on them

- Eat foods designed for children, sometimes even to get the toy (happy meals, kinder eggs etc...) :D

Again, nothing wrong with it, just a light hearted discussion, but are you 'guilty' of any of these, or maybe you have known some "women-children" in your time, and would like to add to the list....?

Comments

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »

- Have a film collection made up almost entirely of disney films NOT GUILTY

- Wear a onesie GUILTY

- Take teddy bears to bed NOT GUILTY

- Listen to boy bands aimed at tweens GUILTY

- Get really scared watching horror films NOT GUILTY

- Have an obsession with the colour pink GUILTY

- Have little dolls and stickers in their car that say "princess" on them NOT GUILTY

- Eat foods designed for children, sometimes even to get the toy (happy meals, kinder eggs etc...) :D NOT GUILTY

filler
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    No, not the thing some of you dirty minded people are probably thinking of :p I'm sure most of you have heard the phrase "big boys toys", or maybe "boys and their toys", referring to an adult male, with immature traits.

Sure, these men exist (and I don't think there's anything wrong with a bit of harmless fun).I've seen grown men ganged around, waiting for their go on the remote controlled helicopter :D ...while their wives and girlfriends look on and sigh, and maybe utter this phrase, but what about the reverse? I'm talkimg about women who;

- Have a film collection made up almost entirely of disney films

- Wear a onesie

- Take teddy bears to bed

- Get really scared watching horror films

- Have an obsession with the colour pink

- Have little dolls and stickers in their car that say "princess" on them

- Eat foods designed for children, sometimes even to get the toy (happy meals, kinder eggs etc...) :D

Again, nothing wrong with it, just a light hearted discussion, but are you 'guilty' of any of these, or maybe you have known some "women-children" in your time, and would like to add to the list....?

i`m a bit blokey [in a non butch way:p] and i find it a bit strange. i used to have a friend who would slip into a weird daddy`s-little-girl voice mid conversation, most odd.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    filler

Haha! Any more you care to add? :p

You know, I think the worst one on there is the disney films obsessives. The others I can live with, but if a girl expects me to sit through her disney films before I get to watch fight club, I'm not happy :D
  • MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have had debates about that. The thing is - many things that girls play with as kids of play - have adult analogies. Thats not always true of boys toys.

For example (and I know these may be stereotypes):

Dolls = Real Baby
    Dolls Pram = Real Pram
    Dolls House = Real House
    Fisher Price Kitchen = Real Kitchen
    My little Pony = Real Pony

Ok - guys may have real cars and DIY to replace their scalextric and lego - but where is the real world accessible analogy of space rockets, ray guns, Airwolf or superpowers.

Thats why guys still play with games/toys as adults :D
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't do any of those things.

Maybe I'm not a proper girl.
    Forum Member
    Moony wrote: »
    I have had debates about that. The thing is - many things that girls play with as kids of play - have adult analogies. Thats not always true of boys toys.

For example (and I know these may be stereotypes):

Dolls = Real Baby
    Dolls Pram = Real Pram
    Dolls House = Real House
    Fisher Price Kitchen = Real Kitchen
    My little Pony = Real Pony

Ok - guys may have real cars and DIY to replace their scalextric and lego - but where is the real world accessible analogy of space rockets, ray guns or superpowers.

Thats why guys still play games as adults :D

Hmm, I don't really see that point too strongly. Like you said, boys have cars, toy diy stuff, lego etc... as for the more fantasy type toys, girls do have them too.

Let's face it though, a grown woman playing with a doll is always going to be immature, whether it relates to a real baby or not. It isn't really that relevant or any less childish than a grown man playing with a toy rocket. To be fair though, a toy rocket could lead to a model rocket, which will at least teach you some things about physics and maybe engineering. How does a toy baby prepare you for a real one? :D

Edit: and I'm now ashamed to admit, I had loads of toy kitchens as a kid :D
  • AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a friend in her 40's who saves madly each year for a 3 week blast round the theme parks in Florida, she goes alone and is childfree. I find that quite endearing, she does love her theme parks, and she is also into anything Disney. She's not childlike in any other way though.

I have another friend who is a doll collector, and some of her dolls are extremely creepy. She gets awfully offended whenever anyone says that though, as if someone has said her precious first born child is ugly.
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haha! Any more you care to add? :p
    I would like to add that last week I purchased a stunning pink Kenwood handheld mixer. It is the loveliest 'big girls' toy' I have ever purchased.
    Forum Member
    AnitaS wrote: »
    I have another friend who is a doll collector, and some of her dolls are extremely creepy. She gets awfully offended whenever anyone says that though, as if someone has said her precious first born child is ugly.

You don't know my girlfriend do you? :eek: :D
  • AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't know my girlfriend do you? :eek: :D

If she collects creepy porcelain dolls (and spends an absolute fortune on them) and keeps them in a special air conditioned doll room, then yes, I do. :D
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only one I can really identify with on that list is getting really scared while watching horror films.

I sometimes get my OH to come upstairs with me after I've watched a scary film and wait while I go to the toilet, as I'm too scared to go upstairs on my own. There have been a few times he's had to do that. :o
    Forum Member
    AnitaS wrote: »
    If she collects creepy porcelain dolls (and spends an absolute fortune on them) and keeps them in a special air conditioned doll room, then yes, I do. :D

Are they Japanese ones?! She spends hundreds of pounds on them, and yes, they are incredibly creepy looking. Don't think she keeps them in an air conditioned room though. Cheap student digs tend to lack that.

This must just be more epidemic than I thought :p

This might be a good time to point out, I can be a bit of an immature, man-child myself :D
  • dylan99dylan99 Posts: 10,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You know, I think the worst one on there is the disney films obsessives. The others I can live with, but if a girl expects me to sit through her disney films before I get to watch fight club, I'm not happy :D

I wouldn't mind the DVD collection, IF, they listen to proper music every now and then, not just the stuff aimed at kids!

I don't have to watch the DVDs as well do I? If so, maybe they are a problem too! :D
    Forum Member
    I would like to add that last week I purchased a stunning pink Kenwood handheld mixer. It is the loveliest 'big girls' toy' I have ever purchased.

Errghh, those things are hideous, sorry :p Must be a girl thing!
    Forum Member
    Croctacus wrote: »
    I don't do any of those things.

Maybe I'm not a proper girl.

It doesn't mean you aren't a proper girl. Perhaps you are just a proper grown up? :p

I know some people like to live by the mantra; 'You can only be young once, but you can be immature forever', me included, at times :D
    Forum Member
    dylan99 wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind the DVD collection, IF, they listen to proper music every now and then, not just the stuff aimed at kids!

I don't have to watch the DVDs as well do I? If so, maybe they are a problem too! :D

My gf will listen to Rammstein, but her favourite band is Keane :confused: It's all very confusing :D

Well you could make your gf watch all your favourite films under the argument that she still enjoys the films you like, but you hate most of the ones she likes :p

I sat through harry potter and twilight. That was enough for a lifetime :p
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It doesn't mean you aren't a proper girl. Perhaps you are just a proper grown up? :p

I know some people like to live by the mantra; 'You can only be young once, but you can be immature forever', me included, at times :D

Oh I can be immature but it doesn't involve dolls or pink. I didn't even like them when I was a little girl.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not a collector. I'm a bit of a computer geek, though, but I think many women are these days. :p Also, the only thing that would apply to me on the OP's list would be the horror film one. I don't mind ghostly, scary films, it's gruesome ones that I don't like to watch.
  • tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've made me wonder if I've ever actually been a girl :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Have a film collection made up almost entirely of disney films NO

- Wear a onesie YES

- Take teddy bears to bed NO.

- Get really scared watching horror films NO

- Have an obsession with the colour pink NO

- Have little dolls and stickers in their car that say "princess" on them NO

- Eat foods designed for children, sometimes even to get the toy (happy meals, kinder eggs etc...) YES (I like happy meals and its much the same as getting small fries small coke etc)

I enjoy some girls toys but most of my gadgets are pretty much Uni sex :p
  • PrimalIcePrimalIce Posts: 2,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have a film collection made up almost entirely of disney films NO

- Wear a onesie YES

- Take teddy bears to bed NO.

- Get really scared watching horror films NO

- Have an obsession with the colour pink NO

- Have little dolls and stickers in their car that say "princess" on them NO

- Eat foods designed for children, sometimes even to get the toy (happy meals, kinder eggs etc...) YES (I like happy meals and its much the same as getting small fries small coke etc)

I enjoy some girls toys but most of my gadgets are pretty much Uni sex :p

Come on, come on, spill the beans, you cant leave that entry blank damn you!
    Forum Member
    PrimalIce wrote: »
    Come on, come on, spill the beans, you cant leave that entry blank damn you!

She may have been a JLS fan? :D
  • OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A "girly girl" is very much my type :D
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    For some reason, the first thing I thought about when reading this thread was Katie Price's pink Range Rover. :o

Which leads me to ask, what's the deal there?
    I don't think guys fixate on colours, do they?
    Why DO these women insist on having pink clothes, pink shoes, a pink phone, a pink laptop, a pink car, a pink TV set, a pink stereo etc?
    Is it some kind of post-modern attempt to "own" the whole "girly" thing or is it just that they really are "girly"?

Anyway, I gotta say, I think, maybe, it's harder to define "Big Girls Toys" in the same was as for guys cos women tend to have more diverse interests.
    Course, having said that, I'm sure there are also squillions of guys who's interests don't include train-sets, guns, cars and motorbikes and other "boys toys" too, so you have to wonder how much real basis there is for still applying that phrase too.
  • droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    The only one I can really identify with on that list is getting really scared while watching horror films.

I sometimes get my OH to come upstairs with me after I've watched a scary film and wait while I go to the toilet, as I'm too scared to go upstairs on my own. There have been a few times he's had to do that. :o

You know what will happen don't you?

Miss XYZ: 'You there?'

OH: 'Yes'

Miss XYZ: 'You there?'

OH: 'YES'

Miss XYZ: 'You still there?'

Miss XYZ: 'Say you're there!:eek:'

............ ***scratching on bathroom door***