Moeen Ali - man of principle or bringing politics into sport?

2»

Comments

• gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    Perhaps someone should tell Clegg not to involve politics in sport?
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So the ICC have officially banned Ali from wearing the wristbands today... on the very day they are all wearing HfH branding. I wonder if any of them saw the irony when they handed down that decision.
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    So the ICC have officially banned Ali from wearing the wristbands today... on the very day they are all wearing HfH branding. I wonder if any of them saw the irony when they handed down that decision.

I assume HfH is a charity recgonised and supported by the ECB, and the ICC are happy to allow the ECB to show that support on the field.

The Gaza charities I guess are not an ECB charity.
  • MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume HfH is a charity recgonised and supported by the ECB, and the ICC are happy to allow the ECB to show that support on the field.

The Gaza charities I guess are not an ECB charity.

I suppose the difference is that wearing an armband stating 'Free Palestine' is a 100% unambiguous political statement.

HfH is a charity, and yes by implication does show a level of support for the British Armed Forces and therefore does quite arguably have a political dimension, but perhaps it is a step or two away from making a direct statement in the way that 'Free Palestine' does. e.g. it is perfectly possible for an individual to support HfH simply as a charity whilst disagreeing politically with British deployment in the Middle-East etc.
  • misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HFH heroes is a political message, no doubt about it.

Banning one but allowing the other is laughable.
  • ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    I'm with Moeen Ali on this.
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    I am with Ali on this. Well done to him making a stand. The targeting of kids is a despicable act, no matter what side you are on.

As for allowing the HfH, just sums up how pathetic the ICC are. As a governing body they are a joke. ICC, they should really be called the BCCI.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's bringing politics into sport
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Help for Heroes on their shirts was bringing politics into sport.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Help for Heroes on their shirts was bringing politics into sport.

No. Help for Heroes is a charity.
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »

A very political charity, and it's very politically correct to support it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You really can't see how some people might see supporting British troops is more political than wanting to stop kids from being killed?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A very political charity, and it's very politically correct to support it.
    You really can't see how some people might see supporting British troops is more political than wanting to stop kids from being killed?

I don't lose sight of what side I am on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "**** those children dying in Gaza, they aren't on my side"
    Forum Member
    I don't lose sight of what side I am on.
    From the sounds of it, not on the side of the children.
  • MeicYMeicY Posts: 2,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    I don't think there is but there could be a jewish team-mate in the England dressing room , someone who has friends in Israel or relatives etc etc

Equating being Jewish / Israeli with what's going on in Gaza is a false silogism, just as labelling all Muslims as West-hating terrorists is. Ask Adam Gemili, a Muslim who proudly stands when Jerusalem is played at the Commonwealth Games.

No, what that army and that government are doing in the name of Jewry worldwide and the Israeli state should be offensive to Jews, not the concept of a free Palestinian state or the desire to cease civilian casualties.

Unfortunately, as Melanie Phillips and others prove, to criticise the Israeli government is somehow to be anti-Semitic. Anti-Zionism is not anti-Semitism.

Moeen Ali can wear what he likes round his own wrist.
    Forum Member
    Indeed he can and I suspect he did as he wore a long-sleeved shirt with the cuffs firmly buttoned over his wrists for the rest of the match despite it being so hot and sticky.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    From the sounds of it, not on the side of the children.
    I have more consideration for the children than Hamas.

I am on the side of the good guys.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am on the side of the good guys.

Oh boy, it's not a ****ing comic book you know.