legalsounds.com legal in the UK?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 531
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi I have been googling the title of the thread for the last half an hour however there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer.

Please could someone advise me?

I am sure it said on their website somewhere that it isn't.

Also is there a regulator that you can contact to check this information, like ofcom?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi thanks for the reply.

Its a bit strange really, sounds like the sites are adamant that they are legal whereas other sources suggest they aren't? So what is the definitive answer?
  • Ghost WorldGhost World Posts: 7,036
    Forum Member
    bradisace wrote: »
    Hi thanks for the reply.

Its a bit strange really, sounds like the sites are adamant that they are legal whereas other sources suggest they aren't? So what is the definitive answer?
    I don't know what the definitive answer is, but of course the website is going to claim that it's legal.
  • kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member
    I have used them before. your not gonna get in trouble!

if you wanna buy an ablum from them go ahead. Don't stress as you doing nothing wrong.
  • misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are legal according to Russian Law. Have not used them in a long time but the price is great!!

The industry has tried to go at them as well as other sites in Russia but have failed to shut them down.

I really wouldnt worry about the legality of the site in the UK.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm studying law and know a reasonable amount about IP law, enough to know that In questions like this unfortunately there is no easy yes or no answer as to its legality.

I'm not going to come down on one side 100%, but there certainly appears to be have been some dispute in the past as to whether they actually hold the rights to the music they are selling, i.e the various legal actions by the International Federation of the Phonographic industries regarding AllofMP3.com who also cited licence by the Russian Multimedia and Internet Society.

Bare in mind an important part of legalsounds terms of service where they state that while esentially they are based in russia you agree to abide any laws,statutes ect which apply in the country you are based in. Pretty standard but bear in mind you are in the UK and are governed by UK law.

It might be the case, for example that they perfectly legitimately hold the rights to distribute music in Russia but not outside, much like BBC Iplayer is perfectly legitimate to use in the uk but not in the us for example.

As I say it would take someone more legally qualified than me to say for certain that this website is or isn't legal to use in this country. I personally am very picky about where I DL music from and tend to stick to very established services like itunes.

It could be a perfectly legit website, just not compatible with UK law, if you see what I mean.

Sadly I don't think anyone at this point can give you a definate answer, other than websites licenced by the same body as this one have definately been subject to legal controversy. Even apple and itunes have been subject to legal controversy in the past.....

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=9332

Again, I'm just a law student, take what I say with a pinch of salt its just semi educated oppinion. For proper consumer law advice you could try something like which

Which: http://www.whichlegalservice.co.uk/

I can't off the top of my head think of a regulator that would deal directly with this sort of thing. Its not quite in Ofcoms remit.