Your Ultimate music-talent contest winner 2000-2010

foxy23foxy23 Posts: 4,391
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My all time favourite winner was WIll Young.
No one has yet surpassed him, in my eyes...Got all his albums, seen him live!!

He was my first, my last, my everything!!!

I do like Kelly Clarkson and Adam Lambert, but it's always gonna be Will for me...I will never forget him singing Light My Fire in the knock out stages and then Aretha Franklin's Until You Come Back to Me in the first of the live shows.

Other performance highlights in the competition were:-

Aint No Sunshine
Beyond the Sea
The Sweetest Feeling

Magical magical times for sure!

Comments

• NienaNiena Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    I can't say I liked any of the winners that much. Carrie Underwood grew on me after a while. She did some songs after AI with cool lyrics and her voice is all that.

Out of those that didn't win I'm still into Adam Lambert and Diana Vickers the most.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not counting this year because its not over yet... but excluding 2010
    it has to be Diana Vickers while people don't like her I think she put in some fine peformances on The x-factor I loved
    Call Me and Patience. she was a one of a kind talent contestant for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,822
    Forum Member
    I don't really watch American idol so it has to be Leona Lewis for me.
  • foxy23foxy23 Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was really impressed with Diana on Sunday - thought it was a brilliant performance.
    Considering I was never a fan of hers on the show, but she was actually better than Katy Perry.

I think her stint in Lilttle Voice has definetely helped with her theatrical performance/projection/stage presence etc
  • Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kelly Clarkson, Leona Lewis and Will Young :)
  • meelymunchmeelymunch Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    Ruth Lorenzo is still my favourite.

:D
  • davedpgdavedpg Posts: 960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got to be David Cook

He did some brilliant rearrangements and changed American Idol into a show where musicians stand a better chance than karaoke singers
  • Cake_NibblerCake_Nibbler Posts: 6,564
    Forum Member
    Leona is the only winner I rate.

But if you open it up to any contestant than....

RUTH LORENZO!!!! :D
  • marsha_Cutiepiemarsha_Cutiepie Posts: 9,721
    Forum Member
    I LOVED Will Young on Pop Idol but for me although good he hasn't reached his full potential since leaving. I thought he might be more soulful Jamiroquai type vibe than as ballady as he is but still he was the first person I ever supported on one of these shows so will always be a fave!

I like Wil but my absolute Favourite Contestants Ever would be:

David Cook (my fave AI winner)
    Adam Lambert (robbed of AI victory!)
    Fantasia (fave female music contestant winner ever)
    Taylor Hicks (i loved him! thought he brought something a bit different!)

For me No One from the UK X-factor or UK Pop Idol comes near any of the american idol winners or even finalists in a lot of cases! :D
  • KriskikiKriskiki Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    Will have to be Miss Versatile Clarkson lol :)
  • LittleNothingLittleNothing Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    excuse me Simon I dont think you could ever call that average.

Of Course its mister Will Young no one else has come close :cool: and no one else has ever put Simon in his place quite so swiftly or effectively.
  • WeeblesWobbleWeeblesWobble Posts: 1,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carrie Underwood for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    excuse me Simon I dont think you could ever call that average.

Of Course its mister Will Young no one else has come close :cool: and no one else has ever put Simon in his place quite so swiftly or effectively.

Totally agree - very exciting telly...when we were all still getting to know Simon also...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    foxy23 wrote: »
    Totally agree - very exciting telly...when we were all still getting to know Simon also...

It was priceless the best bit was after Simon did his disdainful "I am the all knowing lord whose word on all things good and bad is gospel" act we all now know so well :rolleyes:
    rather than scampering of the stage like the other crushed young hopefulls Simon had left in his wake, Will cool as a cue cumber responded

(best posh Will Young voice)"Could you elaborate a bit more please?"

Love him ever since that moment.
    He showed Simon up for being a bit of a tit and then made it worse by beating Simon's precious Gareth in the final.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was priceless the best bit was after Simon did his disdainful "I am the all knowing lord whose word on all things good and bad is gospel" act we all now know so well :rolleyes:
    rather than scampering of the stage like the other crushed young hopefulls Simon had left in his wake, Will cool as a cue cumber responded

He showed Simon up for being a bit of a tit and then made it worse by beating Simon's precious Gareth in the final.

Yep! I screamed and cheered when Will beat Gareth Gates, because everyone thought Gareth would win from the start...

There was such a battle between the Will and Gareth fans - it was a frenzy!

But Will completely smashed that competition!! Wish they would bring back pop idol...

...the groups on X Factor don't usually work, and at the end of the day, they really are looking for Pop Idols (with the looks/image) etc...

Contestants like Mary and the like would still have BGT if they want to enter singing comps...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    foxy23 wrote: »
    Yep! I screamed and cheered when Will beat Gareth Gates, because everyone thought Gareth would win from the start...

There was such a battle between the Will and Gareth fans - it was a frenzy!

But Will completely smashed that competition!! Wish they would bring back pop idol...

...the groups on X Factor don't usually work, and at the end of the day, they really are looking for Pop Idols (with the looks/image) etc...

Contestants like Mary and the like would still have BGT if they want to enter singing comps...

I was team Will my best friend was Team Gareth we used to argue about it endlessley in the 6th year common :o

Them were the days :)

I do like X Factor though. The second pop idol wasnt as good as Will's year.

some of the green room footage from after the pop idol final is on youtube I wish X Factor after shows were this fun.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBeQPkXgezU&feature=related
  • soulloversoullover Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah Will by a mile. ;)
    There's been equally technically good singers, but for me nobody with the likeability and quirkiness of Will. They're all pretty much interchangeable.

Will, on the other hand is and always was, a total one-off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was team Will my best friend was Team Gareth we used to argue about it endlessley in the 6th year common :o

Them were the days :)

I do like X Factor though. The second pop idol wasnt as good as Will's year.

some of the green room footage from after the pop idol final is on youtube I wish X Factor after shows were this fun.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBeQPkXgezU&feature=related

Thanks for the link!

Same - I remember getting into many a heated argument on the merits of Mr Young!

Went straight out and bought the Pop Idol book, BOTH VHS tapes (lol)...and subsequently ALL his albums...then saw him live...

IT was the most rewarding feeling seeing someone up on stage I had supported from the start...

I LOVED his voice from the minute I heard it, and could not wait to buy his CDs, to hear his voice coming out of my stereo...truly amazing - I will never ever forget those times...!

Yes, agree Pop Idol 2 was a massive let down!
  • caz789caz789 Posts: 4,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Cook :)
  • marsha_Cutiepiemarsha_Cutiepie Posts: 9,721
    Forum Member

That was such a moment! :D Will had so much class and style, and handled Simon's inane put down magnificently, makes such a change from the sychophants surrounding him today! :eek::D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know she didn't win, but whatever happened to Catherine Pickler? Was that her name?
  • MargueriteMarguerite Posts: 2,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking back, Pop Idol was such an innocent little show, The kids, not allowed to move, all coming in and standing on their sellotape crosses on the floor. No huge backing tracks, no dancers,just them and their vocals giving it their best shot.

Will was my favourite back then and still is today. I would place all ten of those finalists over any of the XFactor contestants and a lot of them have proved their worth and still have careers in the business nine years on.:)
  • Flamethrower100Flamethrower100 Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    does over the rainbow count.

if it does. then Danielle Hope :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Leona Lewis - Summertime: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnytX6SoO3g
    2. Adam Lambert - Born to be Wild: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFCgIkG1Ttc
  • mandyxxxxmandyxxxx Posts: 1,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know he didn't win, but for me, Adam Lambert stands out.
    I guess from the UK it would have to be Will Young, he's the only one I've ever bought an album of, although I'm not fanatical.