Greg Dyke new FA Chairman

HenryVIIIHenryVIII Posts: 800
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21877945

On that basis, I suggest Harry Rednapp as the next DG of the BBC.

Comments

• Dan's DadDan's Dad Posts: 9,880
    Forum Member
    HenryVIII wrote: »
    Is that Mr Bernstein anything to do with the founders of Granada TV ....

if so, I can see a pattern emerging!
  • henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always suspected the FA were clueless. No sensible candidates with a career in football?
  • tedjrrtedjrr Posts: 2,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hendero wrote: »
    I always suspected the FA were clueless. No sensible candidates with a career in football?

What on earth has football got to do with it?
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tedjrr wrote: »
    What on earth has football got to do with it?
    Surprisingly, quite a bit: actually:
    "Dyke has had a long background in football. He was a director of Manchester United in the late nineties and since 2006 he has been non-executive chairman of Brentford Football Club, the team he supported as a boy. He will relinquish this role at the end of the season to take up his new post at the FA."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/news/9945798/Former-BBC-director-general-Greg-Dyke-set-to-become-new-chairman-of-the-FA.html

Now if Harry Redknapp has a background rooted in broadcasting, the first post in this thread might have a point to it.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    What's this got to do with broadcasting?
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

After Brian Barwick, the ex-Head of ITV Sport, moved to the FA as supremo the TV rights passed from the BBC to ITV.
    Watch this space.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Somewhere between "not much" and "nothing"
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Watch this space.

Ok i'm watching...........:eek: When can I stop?

I suspect any deal will be done based on money, not favourism.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Somewhere between "not much" and "nothing"

ex broadcaster becomes head of organisation with coveted broadcasting rights perhaps?
  • Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    Because Greg Dyke was once DG of the BBC itself so there is a connection with broadcasting, weird but not totally surprising that he gets the post as chairman at the FA, but I guess it shows top managerial skills with the history at the BBC. Life is strange like that.

On The Apprentice, Kate Walsh became a TV presenter and Nick Hewer Alan Sugar's advisor with no background in broadcasting before The Apprentice, got a job presenting Countdown.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surprisingly, quite a bit: actually:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/news/9945798/Former-BBC-director-general-Greg-Dyke-set-to-become-new-chairman-of-the-FA.html

Now if Harry Redknapp has a background rooted in broadcasting, the first post in this thread might have a point to it.

He was a non-exec at Man Utd for two years. He is apparently a lifelong fan, which is just what English football needs, someone senior to give Fergie and his players even more licence to flout the rules.

As you note, he has been non-exec at Brentford since 2006. He's never had an actual job in football, so I'd hardly describe that as a background rooted in the sport.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    ex broadcaster becomes head of organisation with coveted broadcasting rights perhaps?
    Maybe, but highly speculative at this stage
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because Greg Dyke was once DG of the BBC itself so there is a connection with broadcasting, weird but not totally surprising that he gets the post as chairman at the FA, but I guess it shows top managerial skills with the history at the BBC. Life is strange like that.

On The Apprentice, Kate Walsh became a TV presenter and Nick Hewer Alan Sugar's advisor with no background in broadcasting before The Apprentice, got a job presenting Countdown.

I seem to remember when Richard and Judy were advertising for a reporter on their show, by then on satellite, out of hundreds of applicants the only one sufficiently experienced was......Chloe Madley who had never worked in TV.

On another thread it's been pointed out that the BBC1 series The Syndicate, written by Kay Mellor, seems to employ most members of her family in one role or another.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe, but highly speculative at this stage

true but the rights are up quite soon so that will be one of his tasks as it is their main source of income
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After Brian Barwick, the ex-Head of ITV Sport, moved to the FA as supremo the TV rights passed from the BBC to ITV.
    Watch this space.

And we all recall fondly what a triumph Barwick was in the role. However, given Dyke's departure from the BBC I'm not sure his appointment gives them much more chance of getting the rights to England matches. Sports programming is becoming increasingly valuable to advertisers due to reduced fast forwarding through the ads, so I'd be surprised if the BBC outbid their commercial rivals.
  • mrblankmrblank Posts: 5,687
    Forum Member
    no one could say this move sexes up the FA lol
  • JudioJudio Posts: 11,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HenryVIII wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21877945

On that basis, I suggest Harry Rednapp as the next DG of the BBC.

Greg Dyke has been involved in the game

He has just had to finish a stint as Chairman at Brentford to take up this new role

http://www.brentfordfc.co.uk/news/article/greg-dyke-fa-chairman-21.03.13-727180.aspx

Greg has a long background in football.
    He was a director of Manchester United in the late 1990s and was appointed non-executive Chairman of Brentford in 2006.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing much "qualifies" a person to be the boss of any organisation.

You could point to a hundred things in their background, but the only way to access a persons suitability for a top job is by letting them have a go.

On that basis I wonder why any of these ex broadcasting executives ever get employed again in the same (or similar) capacity. I mean, who keeps giving Jay Hunt a job?

Greg Dyke excepted, he did pretty well at the BBC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    Nothing much "qualifies" a person to be the boss of any organisation.

You could point to a hundred things in their background, but the only way to access a persons suitability for a top job is by letting them have a go.

On that basis I wonder why any of these ex broadcasting executives ever get employed again in the same (or similar) capacity. I mean, who keeps giving Jay Hunt a job?

Greg Dyke excepted, he did pretty well at the BBC.

Greg offered his resignation from the BBC confident the governors would reject it. Unfortunately for him they didn't:eek:
  • HenryVIIIHenryVIII Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Judio wrote: »
    Greg Dyke has been involved in the game

He has just had to finish a stint as Chairman at Brentford to take up this new role

http://www.brentfordfc.co.uk/news/article/greg-dyke-fa-chairman-21.03.13-727180.aspx

Greg has a long background in football.
    He was a director of Manchester United in the late 1990s and was appointed non-executive Chairman of Brentford in 2006.

Then that sounds like a reasonable justification. Thanks.
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,017
    Forum Member
    I hope Greg Dyke introduces new technology to the game like Goal Line sensors or something to tell us and the referee if the ball passes the line for example or maybe not
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope Greg Dyke introduces new technology to the game like Goal Line sensors or something to tell us and the referee if the ball passes the line for example or maybe not

Already in the works at FIFA and the Premier League. Not sure about the other leagues in English football, it's apparently very expensive to install and operate. Why they don't just rely on TV cameras, which settle the debate in 98% of instances, I really don't know, but that's for another forum.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    One line they keep trotting out is that they want the same resources and technology to be available at every level of the game from Sunday League to the Premier League.

Pretty sure though in the past they have used video evidence to retrospectively ban or rescind a card so not sue how that argument works.
  • Object ZObject Z Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watch this space.

Of course Dyke also `worked at` LWT, so his loyalties may lie with ITV.

I expect money will be the key to where the rights end up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    hendero wrote: »
    He was a non-exec at Man Utd for two years. He is apparently a lifelong fan, which is just what English football needs, someone senior to give Fergie and his players even more licence to flout the rules.

What does who he supports have to do with anything? Brian Barwick was a big Liverpool fan and the man Greg Dyke is replacing, David Bernstein, was involved with Man City for years.