Cheryl's mess of a solo career

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 882
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm a big fan of Cheryl - loved her during the Girls Aloud era and since the launch of her solo career. However I'm frustrated at the absolute appalling manner in which her solo career has been managed. I cannot believe yet another album has been abandoned after just 2 singles. A Million Lights may be her poorest seller to date but there are some cracking hits on it in the form of Screw You and Sexy Dena Mutha if her stupid management team would only release them instead of drivel like Under the Sun, and hence boost the album sales and renew interest. Similarly the Messy Little Raindrops era was a disaster - The Flood should never have been released. Yeah Yeah had hit written all over it had it seen the light of day. I hope for her own sake she moves record company or parts company with her current music management team ASAP because they are driving her career into the ground :mad:

Comments

• Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Girls Aloud reunion cut this era short, it was reported that Cheryl put a stop to her third single Screw You so that they could just concentrate on the reunion and it is now too long to release another single from that album.

She has an interview airing on Friday on Daybreak so perhaps she will talk about her music plans on that.
  • SexSex Posts: 44,161
    Forum Member
    My favourite album by Cheryl cole, there are so many songs I like on that album:o:(.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    Sad state of affairs
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Cheryl, but I have to agree that A Million Lights era really deserved better. It is far better than Little Messy Raindrops. Call My Name was an outstanding tune and internationally, it did well in New Zealand. The song reached Top 20 and was certified Gold, but that was about it. The single really should have been promoted more internationally, especially across Europe. Under The Sun was an OK song, but I would not have chosen that as a follow-up.

A Million Lights era had potential to do better, but the management was really poor and Girls Aloud tour really hindered it. As a result, the album sold over 100k, just enough for a Gold certification. Call My Name sold over 400k, again only enough for Gold. I also heard that she wanted to her solo tour outside the UK (mainly in Europe) as well. It will be a shame if she didn't resume with that era because Sexy Den A Mutha and Screw You really deserve a good chance at a single release.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Million Lights should have been a single. Can picture a gorgeous moody and sultry video for it.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She has never matched her debut, but A million lights was a million miles better than her awful second album. I don't like how her last two albums have been cut short by just two singles.

A million lights was released in June, and by the October she had already completed the tour. I didn't expect her to do a Katy perry and have it go on for two years but it was too rushed and should of thought properly about releasing an album where it was gonna clash with Girls aloud's comeback.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She has never matched her debut, but A million lights was a million miles better than her awful second album. I don't like how her last two albums have been cut short by just two singles.

A million lights was released in June, and by the October she had already completed the tour. I didn't expect her to do a Katy perry and have it go on for two years but it was too rushed and should of thought properly about releasing an album where it was gonna clash with Girls aloud's comeback.

Exactly. Just an another example of terrible management.
  • scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When you consider the amount of money, publicity, constant media attention that's been heaped on little Miss Tweedy and yet she's still where she is, it begs the question what the basic problem is and the answer is simple. It's her.

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it comes down to the fact that the music's not good. She has all the ingredients to be a real superstar but if the music isn't up to it then she has no chance. She looks great, has a sob story and can dance and put on a half decent performance but the material is sub par
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TH14 wrote: »
    I think it comes down to the fact that the music's not good. She has all the ingredients to be a real superstar but if the music isn't up to it then she has no chance. She looks great, has a sob story and can dance and put on a half decent performance but the material is sub par

What shallow rubbish - it's like saying 'I've got all the ingredients of being a superstar, it's just that I can't sing'.

Sob story?

Is that her arrest or failed affairs/marriage/self-pity?
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What shallow rubbish - it's like saying 'I've got all the ingredients of being a superstar, it's just that I can't sing'.

Sob story?

Is that her arrest or failed affairs/marriage/self-pity?

I'm saying her music's crap. She can dance and looks good but won't go far if her music is bad. Her sob story is her marriage, malaria etc
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TH14 wrote: »
    I'm saying her music's crap. She can dance and looks good but won't go far if her music is bad. Her sob story is her marriage, malaria etc

And that makes her superstar material?

What about truly exceptional talent?

All she is, is black hole material!
  • Scratchy7929Scratchy7929 Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Extended 15 minutes of fame are up

No justification in promoting her last album with new singles because they would have been 'throwing good money after bad'

Universal won't rush into renewing any album deals once she has fulfilled her present contractual obligations.They won't be throwing megabucks (promotion) at her any longer - facts
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Universal won't rush into renewing any album deals once she has fulfilled her present contractual obligations.They won't be throwing megabucks (promotion) at her any longer - facts

How is that a fact? Do you really think there won't be HUGE interest in a new Cheryl Cole single? It is a fact that her debut singles have all reached number 1 and sold very well. Her music career is not over yet by a long shot.
  • CloudbusterCloudbuster Posts: 688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flushing time for Miss Tweedy
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think her album was badly planned as it clashed with the brief Girls Aloud revival. You can't really do both as it confuses the market. ("Is Cheryl Cole a solo artist or a member of Girls Aloud?")

Another confusion was, apart from the 10 anniversary, why they were reforming. It appeared to be a proper reunion, as new songs were recorded, but it turned out to be a farewell tour. Even one of the members of the group was confused. Yes, it was messy.

Once plans for the GA had started she should have postponed the solo album and released it after - now would be a good time as it seems very quiet. Instead it was all lumped together.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »
    I think her album was badly planned as it clashed with the brief Girls Aloud revival. You can't really do both as it confuses the market. ("Is Cheryl Cole a solo artist or a member of Girls Aloud?")

It confuses the numpties who look up to her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3 Words was an decent enough album i liked a few on there, MLR was simply horrendous cleary rushed out at the time to fit in with another XF performance & left overs from her first album, AML is her best some potential hits on that tbh. I was however really surprised to see how badly AML has done the way she`s hyped up. i know her tour was successful & Call My Name so that kinda covered the flop that was the album. But i was still shocked at album sales
  • CloudbusterCloudbuster Posts: 688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lets face it her latest album underperformed. The age old tale of diminishing returns
  • Sweet7Sweet7 Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lets face it her latest album underperformed. The age old tale of diminishing returns

Yes it did, however she managed to get a sold out arena tour from it. She won't be dropped anytime soon.
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Her management never do the right things.
  • RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,234
    Forum Member
    She doesn't sell enough records to justify the marketing, yes she gets a lot of tabloid interest, but the record sales just don't add up.
  • Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 82,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although I may have preferred Under the Sun to anything from Cheryl in Girls Aloud, even Biology, I can understand that more of GA's singles were strong compared to Cheryl's solo singles.
  • SpencerLeveySpencerLevey Posts: 1,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can never listen to her albums fully. She has some great songs mainly her single, but the rest are just horrible filler crap.
  • sparkle22sparkle22 Posts: 1,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i'm not her biggest fan however call my name & promise this are great songs however I feel her time is up.
    she can't sing very well and has done better than victoria beckham did but she should go into modelling instead.