Great British Menu Series 8

Comments

• CherrybomberCherrybomber Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Molly Hunt wrote: »
    That's all I've done this series -ignored the heats and watched the food as it came up for the judges! I find this Comic Relief 'amusing food' concept rather boring.

I wish they would stop with such silly briefs.

I am happy with a brief to use local ingredients, healthy meals or include traditional/artisan food, but 'funny food?' that is too subjective for me.
  • kingofcakeskingofcakes Posts: 2,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the local ingredients brief was by far the best. I also like the sharing food one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear. Mary-Ellen hero to zero, poor girl :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris' dish looks very styled. :)
    A for effort
  • MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really like the look of Chris' dish, though I wouldn't like the taste, salmon/caviar/horseradish - not for me
  • IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    7 for raw? wow.

Aidan should have 10 points for just being a nice guy.

On the other hand, the gnome man's food and presentation looked much better than Aidan's to me, so it's a shame he got the same points. imho.
  • prehensileprehensile Posts: 5,091
    Forum Member
    7 is just horrifically overmarked given his description :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear. Mary-Ellen hero to zero, poor girl :(

what happened?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mishcoll wrote: »
    Really like the look of Chris' dish, though I wouldn't like the taste, salmon/caviar/horseradish - not for me

From the scoring it looks like TH agrees, Aiden scoring 8 for taste and chris getting the same score presumably for hitting the brief.

the rest of M-E's dish must have been stunning for her to get a 7 with raw suet pastry :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chloe_26 wrote: »
    what happened?

She cooked a frozen oyster in suet pastry but the pastry was uncooked when served.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She cooked a frozen oyster in suet pastry but the pastry was uncooked when served.

was that an oven problem or just rubbish cooking? I hope she gets through anyway as I like the look of the beans dish :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chloe_26 wrote: »
    was that an oven problem or just rubbish cooking? I hope she gets through anyway as I like the look of the beans dish :)

she says she is mystified about the cause of the problem. Maybe sabbotage :D

I like her disposition.
  • smokeycatsmokeycat Posts: 898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I wonder what score Johnnie Mountain would of got if he served uncooked pastry?

:D
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    15 minutes late on the starter, raw pastry in the fish dish and she's still in the (joint) lead?

Looks like it's a scrap for the second place in front of the judges
  • saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sabotage? Hmmmm. Several chefs have had mysterious equipment failures, like ovens too hot....
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,839
    Forum Member
    saralund wrote: »
    Sabotage? Hmmmm. Several chefs have had mysterious equipment failures, like ovens too hot....

More likely that they are using equipment they aren't used to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hiya peeps

I'm a week behind so have a lot of catching up to do.

Guess who I saw on Good Morning today... a certain "Chef Dean".... young "digger" himself... Dunno how often he does a cook spot there... and what he does for his "day job"... looking good tho' :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smokeycat wrote: »
    I wonder what score Johnnie Mountain would of got if he served uncooked pastry?

:D
    I think a 2, but it would have been funny to see TH's face as he delivered the news.
    clm2071 wrote: »
    15 minutes late on the starter, raw pastry in the fish dish and she's still in the (joint) lead?

Looks like it's a scrap for the second place in front of the judges
    They all agree her flavours and textures are great.
    saralund wrote: »

I was kidding about sabotage.

Its weird being in an unfamilair kitchen and you make mistakes.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    From the previews I was expecting a bag or green gloop to burst for McTague. It didn't happen so that would indicate that she has more problems tomorrow.

Her brief could be a comedy or errors
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    When nice-fella Aidan and the other guy tasted Mary Ann´s dish they didn´t raise any concern about the undercooked pastry, and that´s something that would not go unnoticed. Maybe the portion served to Phil was just underooked god knows why, that could explain why Phil didn´t mark her down that much, maybe an execution error in one of the portions is not such a big deal.

First course she was late, now she had a technical error... I don´t think Phil would be as benevolent if she had another third cock-up, it would not be fair on the other two guys.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can I just bow down to Cherrybomber as the master of the multi-quote? #skillz

I'm loving Phil as a judge/mentor. If they do a series 9, I hope he's back in that role!

Last night was interesting. I wasn't sure I'd eat any of the 3 plates that were produced. Looking forward to tonight.

Last year I really liked Aidan and I felt for him when he lost out again. But he's not exactly covering himself with glory this time round. He seems quite spiteful and maybe it was just the edit, but he seemed to relish Mary-Ellen's criticisms from Phil about her dish's failings. Maybe it's just me though.
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Aidan is just desperate to get through and see Mary Ellen as his main competition. But he is coming across as a bit desperate....

If I were him I wouldn't have come back a fourth time, especially with a brief that is the antithesis of his personality!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Aidan is just desperate to get through and see Mary Ellen as his main competition. But he is coming across as a bit desperate....

If I were him I wouldn't have come back a fourth time, especially with a brief that is the antithesis of his personality!!

...But now that they showed us his partner saying she was going to marry him if he got through last year, and her waggling her wedding finger and saying "still not married" .... makes me wonder if there is a "story" in the making here? No, the beeb wouldnt be so shallow, ...would it? ;)
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Mishcoll wrote: »

I'd have demolished that, loved the sound and look of it
    prehensile wrote: »
    7 is just horrifically overmarked given his description :eek:

It did seem very high, I like Mary-Ellen, but me and Mr AK play 'yell the score before the judge says it' (yes, we are that easily amused :o ) and both had it down as a 5 - can only imagine the rest tasted divine, but a mistake on the plate and missing the brief :confused:
  • MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It did seem very high, I like Mary-Ellen, but me and Mr AK play 'yell the score before the judge says it' (yes, we are that easily amused :o ) and both had it down as a 5 - can only imagine the rest tasted divine, but a mistake on the plate and missing the brief :confused:

Glad to hear its not just me and Mrs. Mac that do it! :)