Should Top Of The Pops return full time?

RandomPeter94RandomPeter94 Posts: 4,935
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Did the poll in the TV show forum so I thought I'd do it here as well to see any difference in results lol.

Should Top Of The Pops return full time? 105 votes

Yes
62% 66 votes
No
37% 39 votes

Comments

• RandomPeter94RandomPeter94 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poll :)
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cant see the point... we can see what we want to on youtube, theres loads of music tv channels, why sit through a list of tracks we might not like nor care for? and as the charts have lost their meaning, what bit they had, its pretty pointless now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show has past its prime now. If they do revive it, it should air once a month or something like that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, but with artists only permitted to singing live - this would exclude a great percentage of today's 'singers';)
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I said no. Who would watch it? It's not really relevant in the age of 24/7 music channels and the internet. If it did return it would have to be with a fairly big online presence (phone app, Twitter page, Facebook page, Youtube channel etc.).
  • ChrisJamesSatsChrisJamesSats Posts: 458
    Forum Member
    I think it should return, but on Saturday night instead, perhaps just after the X Factor. It should just be performances though, no interviews or other filler.

I suppose one of the problems of it airing on a Saturday night is that the chart rundown will seem so out of date.
  • tim18tim18 Posts: 737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, its ratings would be terrible. Even the xmas and new years ones dont do that well
  • SlojoSlojo Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In its day TOTP was one of the few places to see the artists performing live -- and by that I mean in person not necessarily singing live --- without going to a concert. They needed to be on the show to promote their records and the line up's on a single show could only be dreamed of these days.

They showed a selection of chart singles of the week a new release and maybe a special appearance by someone and had no mindless interviews.

It worked well but as time moved on video became the order of the day and latterly YouTube etc has taken over so the need for a show like TOTP has just faded away.

So no it wouldn't be good to bring it back
  • LMLM Posts: 63,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually always preferred CD:UK over TOTP, so in a way, no
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unless you want to damage your ears by having One Direction on every week...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People watch award shows to see stars perform. Stars have nowhere to perform anymore except for chat shows and award shows. I miss seeing popstars perform, a music show that focuses on performances should be brought back.
  • Scratchy7929Scratchy7929 Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only 50 / 50 % - on a web site that has a higher proportion of pop lovers than the general public at large.Shows there is no real demand for bringing TOTP back.Although singles (downloads) are popular again.It probably has a narrower (generally younger) demographic than it ever has before.The vast majority of people over 25 do not purchase singles / downloads I would have thought.

TOTP always generally aimed at the under 25 demographic but also had a following from on older demograahic, especially during the mid to late '70's when there was a large following for MOR type music.Punk changed all that, followed by the New Wave movement which had a wider demographic, as did the Alternative Rock period (lmid '80's to mid '90's).

Without that wider demographic a show like TOTP is never going to capture the general public's attention (to a certain extent) as it did before.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Jason100 wrote: »
    Unless you want to damage your ears by having One Direction on every week...

They'd probably be on it nearly all the time :yawn:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, it's over. .
    Let's move on, there's got to be a new format out there.
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    I don't think anybody would watch it to be honest. We've got Youtube now, which completely outclasses TOTP really.

Also, the charts move quite slowly now, they'd have to get people to perform the same song twice on different weeks, or venture out the top 40. There's not enough new entries each week, they'd just be playing the same songs shuffled around a bit each time.
  • Theo_BearTheo_Bear Posts: 997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chat music is utter crap now days, and is totally irrelevant. There's very little if any 80/90s style pop music.

What we need is a slightly less eclectic version of Later. .With Jools Holland that established acts are happy to go on and perform new material (Top 40 or not) or older tracks. Kind of like a one hour a week Big Reunion gig. Gone are the days when most new acts with any longevity will be created through single sales.
  • RandomPeter94RandomPeter94 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thinking about it. Maybe if the BBC had their own music channel like C4 has 4Music, it might work if they air it every week on there. But not on BBC1.
  • farscapefarscape Posts: 2,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theo_Bear wrote: »
    Chat music is utter crap now days, and is totally irrelevant. There's very little if any 80/90s style pop music.

What we need is a slightly less eclectic version of Later. .With Jools Holland that established acts are happy to go on and perform new material (Top 40 or not) or older tracks. Kind of like a one hour a week Big Reunion gig. Gone are the days when most new acts with any longevity will be created through single sales.

Lack of 80/90s style pop music surely is not an indicator of lack of quality. ;)

Seriously though I'm not sure what you mean. These days its pretty much all about single sales, with the iTunes age were we don't have to commit to a full album and instead cherry pick the tracks that sound appealing single sales are more important than ever. Why do you think satellite singles are more common or someone like Rihannia releases so many

Also I can't really picture any of the acts from The Big Reunion TV show featuring on Jools Holland. Can you imagine "here's Radiohead and next up B*Witched" :D. This does kind of come off as "I miss the music of my youth and only want to see that on TV".
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    Thinking about it. Maybe if the BBC had their own music channel like C4 has 4Music, it might work if they air it every week on there. But not on BBC1.

Maybe, but there's already a music channel (I think VIVA or something?) that played the top 40 every weekday. The only difference would be the BBC would probably have the occasional live performance on their show, and they're not going to be able to get many big artists to perform on a show that only gets 100,000 viewers.
    farscape wrote: »
    Also I can't really picture any of the acts from The Big Reunion TV show featuring on Jools Holland. Can you imagine "here's Radiohead and next up B*Witched" :D.

I agree. The music industry has to be profitable at the end of the day, and programs need to realize they have their target audience, and their target audience have songs that they do NOT want to hear. On the rhyhtmic/dance/urban programs, you're not going to be able to have a rock band appear on there. The audience of those programs don't want to hear rock music, they're tuning in to hear Rihanna, Disclosure, Kendrick Lamar, Rudimental, etc. Same with rock stations, you can't decide to play a Katy Perry song occasionally, rock fans don't want to hear that.

In the past we've seen people like Jay-Z performing at rock concerts. It NEVER goes down well. Rock and mainstream should not be mixed. It's extremely difficult to crossover.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    I used to watch it every week but I stopped because there was just too much talking in it. When it used to be mostly just one song after another with the presenter there only to introduce the songs I liked it. Even when I didn't like most of the music they played I use to still watch it and criticise the songs I didn't like, take the mickey out of the people who mimed or who had silly dance routines and so on. Every now and then I would come across a song I liked and I might go out and buy it. But there was a point when they changed the format for a while and there was a lot of interviews and talking and less songs and I stopped watching it. If it came back on with just the music I would watch it.
  • shellman_shellman_ Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    Personally, I most definitely think so! :cool:

Shellman. :cool:
  • SpencerLeveySpencerLevey Posts: 1,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No way.
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I used to love the performances on CD:UK - they often had the number one act in to perform just before the show ended, if I remember right? I'm not sure I preferred it to TOTP but the performances were good. The thing is, I have a clearer memory of watching TOTP as a kid and into my teens than the last few years it was on air (I was 23 when it was cancelled), which makes me wonder if it had lost its edge (as it were).

I definitely do miss there being a weekly music show which features live performances and a chart rundown, since I don't listen to the radio anymore and im not familiar with some of the chart names I hear nowadays. I might quite like some of the artists, I'd be interested enough to watch a half hour show like that again I reckon but I don't feel particularly bothered to trawl youtube for videos of their songs, if you know what I mean? the main appeal of TOTP was the fact it featured live performances - I'd take an artist more seriously if I thought they had a good live presence, I reckon.

I can't imagine the BBC re-commissioning the same show anytime too soon due to the links with JS (Savile), something tells me they'd be attacked by certain tabloid about it one way or another. I actually talked about this with at new years, when they had that new year special on - she was wondering if they'd bring the show back full time and I said if they did, they might well change the name to lose the association after the scandal and all of that but she didn't think they'd need to. She wasn't impressed with the lineup on the new year special and said she'd be concerned if it came back that it'd end up like some music shows on ITV, too Simon Cowell based, with X Factor and BGT artists appearing rather than other lesser known acts. However, if it did come back, presumably it'd be on BBC, not ITV, whom broadcasts Cowell's shows and another staple part of the TOTP format was that it showed a cross section of songs in the main top 40 chart, so if Cowells acts are in the charts then their automatically likely to appear, I'm not sure what anyone can do to change that(?!).
    I said no. Who would watch it? It's not really relevant in the age of 24/7 music channels and the internet. If it did return it would have to be with a fairly big online presence (phone app, Twitter page, Facebook page, Youtube channel etc.).

I have access to many music channels but I never watch them - some barely show music, preferring to air teen based documentaries and other factual shows etc. and others show music videos but I prefer watching live performances.

If I like a song, I'll download it (usually through Amazon, its cheaper than iTunes often and downloads straight to iTunes :D), you can get music in lots of places nowadays but there's a difference between watching lyric videos or official music videos and documentaries and a decent show with live performances every week.

I couldn't honestly name a single act in the top 10 or even the top 40 nowadays, well I could hazard a guess at most. It does seem different these days...there again, I guess perhaps most people in their early 20s stop paying attention to the charts and things? it just so happened the show was cancelled when I was in my early 20s, so I presume I'd keep watching if it hadn't been cancelled.
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wonky Donkey!! :eek:

Great show :o:D
  • BenllechBenllech Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nah, not the same without Sir Jim.