• funcat650funcat650 Posts: 1,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simon Ashdown and Carey Andrews.
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At present or throughout history?

Present - Matt Evans, Pete Lawson, Simon Ashdown, Carey Andrews, Christopher Reason, Jeff Povey at times.
    History - Christopher Reason, Sarah Phelps, Tony McHale, Tony Jordan.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simon Ashdown! Without a shadow of doubt!
  • Tom-Bennett.Tom-Bennett. Posts: 2,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simon Ashdown, probably the best writer EE has had
  • Sarah MichelleSarah Michelle Posts: 1,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simon Ashdown fo me too... He's one where as soon as you've seen the first 5 mins or so, you know it's one of his.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt Evans and Christopher Reason at present. Simon Ashdown is usually reliable and Carey Andrews sometimes delivers. Sharon Marshall is pretty good. Rebecca Wojciechowski's scripts are usually very funny.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Simon Ashdown isn't all that consistent though. But when he gets it right, his episodes are very good.
  • Paul WilsonPaul Wilson Posts: 5,108
    Forum Member
    Well Christopher Reason wrote what is still my all time favourite Eastenders episodes - Ricky and Bianca's wedding - so I've got to say him. That episode was fantastic. We had a rare - very rare - instance of Grant and Phil being likeable and funny 'I think I've just seen one of Nigel's girlfriends grazing over there' 'Careful Phil, you were almost funny there', we had the whole community coming together, something which none of the soaps appear to bother with now, and a plot that the Coronation Street writers of the seventies - it's high water mark for me - would be immensely proud; 'Does anybody remember getting on a boat?'
  • mo mousemo mouse Posts: 38,691
    Forum Member
    They are all rubbish as evidenced by the cheap, trashy, inconsistent, unbelievable, badly thought out and pathetic storylines.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mo mouse wrote: »
    They are all rubbish as evidenced by the cheap, trashy, inconsistent, unbelievable, badly thought out and pathetic storylines.

The Scriptwriters don't come up with the Storylines (bar Simon Ashdown), they follow their given brief.
  • EveT1991EveT1991 Posts: 12,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Are you a man or a woman? If you were EP would you sack all of the writers including Simon Ashdown, Carey Andrews, Pete Lawson and Sharon Marshall? Did you think Tony Jordan was a good writer?
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,271
    Forum Member
    EEFanatic wrote: »
    The Scriptwriters don't come up with the Storylines (bar Simon Ashdown), they follow their given brief.
    Exactly. All they do is Write. For Example Thursday was written by Pete Lawson and Fridays episode was written by Carey Andrews. So both writers tend to show different styles.

Chris Reason has been with EastEnders for years. He wrote Kathy's first exit back in the late 90's

Rob gittins has been there since 1986:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well Christopher Reason wrote what is still my all time favourite Eastenders episodes - Ricky and Bianca's wedding - so I've got to say him. That episode was fantastic. We had a rare - very rare - instance of Grant and Phil being likeable and funny 'I think I've just seen one of Nigel's girlfriends grazing over there' 'Careful Phil, you were almost funny there', we had the whole community coming together, something which none of the soaps appear to bother with now, and a plot that the Coronation Street writers of the seventies - it's high water mark for me - would be immensely proud; 'Does anybody remember getting on a boat?'

Christopher Reason is brilliant. One of his best episodes was Ethel's funeral and the arrival of the Slater's imo.
    Forum Member
    Are you a man or a woman? If you were EP would you sack all of the writers including Simon Ashdown, Carey Andrews, Pete Lawson and Sharon Marshall? Did you think Tony Jordan was a good writer?

Well without being rude, if I say "They are all rubbish" where do you get confused as to whether I think Tony Jordan is a good writer or not ? Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoy our little interaction on here and I look forward to your comments but we shall be here all day if I have to explain something that is already perfectly clear each time I post. Who are your favourite writers ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well without being rude, if I say "They are all rubbish" where do you get confused as to whether I think Tony Jordan is a good writer or not ? Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoy our little interaction on here and I look forward to your comments but we shall be here all day if I have to explain something that is already perfectly clear each time I post. Who are your favourite writers ?

I like Simon Ashdown, Pete Lawson, Carey Andrews, Sharon Marshall, Christopher Reason, Jeff Povey, Sarah Phelps and Tony Jordan
    Forum Member
    I like Simon Ashdown, Pete Lawson, Carey Andrews, Sharon Marshall, Christopher Reason, Jeff Povey, Sarah Phelps and Tony Jordan

Okay. Can you remember any specific stories they came up with ? What do you think makes good writing ?
  • aspijackaspijack Posts: 1,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simon Ashdown
    Daran little
    Jessie ( I can't remember their surname)
    Sharon Marshall
    Christopher Reason because he gives Tracey lines
    Emer Kennys episode was good
  • danyelldanyell Posts: 10,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What story plots has Simon Ashdown written?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    danyell wrote: »
    What story plots has Simon Ashdown written?

The Christmas episode, Danielle's death, Lexi being taken away by social services, Billie's death, Whitney's abuse, Who killed Archie, Stacey's bi-polar,Stax reveal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay. Can you remember any specific stories they came up with ? What do you think makes good writing ?

Well the writers don't make up storylines. A good writer needs experience of writing. Eastenders has a quote a few good writers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the writers don't make up storylines.

This. The producers do. The writers job is to carry out the ideas of the producers in the form of a script.
  • trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    Well the writers don't make up storylines. A good writer needs experience of writing. Eastenders has a quote a few good writers.

So are you saying that EE writers aren't experienced writers :confused:
  • jonjonsjonjons Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sharon Marshall understands the soap industry and is a viewer as well so she has our kind of expectations in her scripts as well as linking to the past

Simon Ashdown will always write the big episodes

Sarah Phelps even though she left will always be my favourite writer
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Some of the writers do contribute to the storylines. The "core" writing team meets up with the producers and storyline department every so often to devise plots.

I think there are 10/12 core writers and this includes people like Simon Ashdown, Jeff Povey, Carey Andrews etc.

The core writers also are commissioned to write a certain amount of episodes each year.

Others writers like Sharon Marshall are hired on a freelance basis.and bid to write episodes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to add to my previous post...

Here is a quote from John Yorke
    EastEnders we created a core writing group of twelve writers who each write twelve episodes a year and it is they who storyline the show every month.

I think they end up writing more then 12 scripts a year.