Best PC dvbs - s2 card solution for freesat

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
Forum Member
Hi

I am currently running a Mythtv based PC PVR with a hauppauge PVR-250 capture card and I am looking to buy a dvbs card for capturing freesat.
For future use I would like to know if I will definitely need dvbs2 capability and is it likely that there will be any kind of encryption on freesat channels necessitating the use of a CI slot.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the benefits of dvb-s2 will mean it will become the standard for transponders carrying HD channels however if the likes of the BBC, ITV and CH4 in particular have enough HD to run a full transponder is another question.
    A Freesat channel is FTA, that's the point:)
    Will encrypted content appear on the Freesat EPG (Like TUTV/Setanta on the Freeview EPG) at some point if CI slots become the norm, perhaps but that's a long way away.

I went straight for a DVB-S2 card and CI module from the start and it wasn't expensive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 433
    Forum Member
    There's the Technisat SKYSTAR HD with optional CI adaptor.
    http://www.hisat.com/proddetail.php?prod=REC_SKYSTAR_HD
    I'm think of getting one as it doesn't seem that there will be a Freesat PVR for some time.
    It needs a powerful PC though, and you haven't described yours.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    My other option is if we are saying that there will be no DVB-S2 transponders for a few years? is to get a DVB-S card for the moment and add a second DVB-S2 card at a later date (when prices drop and Linux drivers for them are easily available) for the HD content, as a DVB-S card will obtain current HD content.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't rule anything out but for now it looks like DVB-S will still be viable for HD in the short term, for SD it is a given.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would pick S2 if I were me...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 433
    Forum Member
    Bob_Cat wrote: »
    I would pick S2 if I were me...
    You're someone else?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,222
    Forum Member
    There's also the Hauppauge Nova available for much the same price although don't think it has the CI option if you wan't that.

http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/pages/products/data_novahds2.html

I'm in the market of one too, i run Vista 64 Bit and both seem to have Vista 64bit drivers now. So decisions, decisions. LOL

Actually i don't think the Technisat has 64 Bit Vista drivers i'm getting mixed up with the Black Gold 6 in one card.

http://shop.blackgold.tv/category/tv-tuner-products/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Hauppauge don't actually make their own DVB cards, although I can't remember if they are actually Technisat.
    Forum Member
    I think Technotrend and Technisat are the same thing don't think they are related to Hauppague. Not 100% sure though.
    Forum Member
    I really just want one for HD i have a Asus Freeview tuner card for my Vista Media Centre which is great.

Has anyone actually seen the quality of HD on a PC card?

I have oodles of actual films which are amazing but i'm still not too convinced what an actual HD broadcast on a pc card would look like compared to these.

I suspect i may be dissapointed. Can anyone tell me otherwise before i waste my pennies? LOL
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Snoods wrote: »

I have oodles of actual films which are amazing but i'm still not too convinced what an actual HD broadcast on a pc card would look like compared to these.

I suspect i may be dissapointed. Can anyone tell me otherwise before i waste my pennies? LOL

Watching SD broadcasts on a PC is no different to watching them via a STB or TV tuner making allowances for the secondary processing across all reception devices and HD is no different.

To put simply if the HD broadcast is good then what you receive will be good and as you would be recording the bitstream no loss in video or audio quality, mind you the file sizes are still high:)

As for the direct comparison of SD and HD well the final result seems to be more variable with HD perhaps because it has to reach heights in terms of PQ a SD production could never do but in general HD will knock your socks off.

There are free HD downloads from MS and Apple etc and while they look fantastic (if your PC is upto playing them) they are perhaps not representative of what you would see broadcast wise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The cards don't make a difference, they are just receivers. Your computer generally does the decoding of the video and in the opinion of most broadcast people most computers are badly configured to deal with de-interlacing because computer displays are progressive not interlace. De-interlacing is a bigger problem than most people will accept outside of broadcasting.
    Forum Member
    Yes i will probably still get one because they don't exactly break the bank and i have no problems with my PC playing 720p or 1080p HD films just deciding which card to plump for that supports 64Bit Vista drivers.
  • _ben_ben Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    Snoods wrote: »
    I really just want one for HD i have a Asus Freeview tuner card for my Vista Media Centre which is great.

I didn't capture them myself, but I've watched some stuff on my PC that was recorded from the BBC HD channel using a PC card and they look great. The Colour of Magic looks great in HD on the PC too.
    Forum Member
    Thanks Ben, good to know they are OK i wasn't very optomistic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Does anyone have any views on the timespan we should expect to see DVB-S2 transmitions arising.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    well i have just bought the one of these for sky hd

http://www.digital-everywhere.com/en/alcms/index.php?sid=1187859689

here is a guide to set up sky in a pc

http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/skymceintegration.html

i was only going to get it for free sat untill I read you could set up sky as well
    Forum Member
    Looks good fun if you want to mess around with Sky, £115 not too bad if you want an included CI for a cam.

I have no interest in the Sky side of it so will probably plump for the Hauppague Nova, Dixons have it at £64.25
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    I use a Technotrend S2-3200 card (the Skystar HD is a rebadged version of this) comes complete with a remote & optional CI module, www.dvbshop.net. It happily drives the dish motor using DVBViewer software, so I can receive all sats from about 60deg E to 60deg West.

One of the best decoders for HD is PowerDVD Ultra, just download the trial version from the Cyberlink site, the beauty of PowerDVD is that it enables DXVA (hardware acceleration) with most Nvidia graphics cards and with ATI HD series, so you don't need such a powerful PC.

I don't use my STB any more, just use the PC card, gives me 1000's of channels, more with certain software addons (which can't be discussed here).

PM me if you want more info.

My advice is get an S2 card and think about a motor as well (about £35 - £60),
  • bellandbottlebellandbottle Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    chaela wrote: »
    I use a Technotrend S2-3200 card (the Skystar HD is a rebadged version of this) comes complete with a remote & optional CI module, www.dvbshop.net. It happily drives the dish motor using DVBViewer software, so I can receive all sats from about 60deg E to 60deg West.

One of the best decoders for HD is PowerDVD Ultra, just download the trial version from the Cyberlink site, the beauty of PowerDVD is that it enables DXVA (hardware acceleration) with most Nvidia graphics cards and with ATI HD series, so you don't need such a powerful PC.

I don't use my STB any more, just use the PC card, gives me 1000's of channels, more with certain software addons (which can't be discussed here).

Can the ATI HD series be used on XP?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    chaela wrote: »

Have installed technisat skystar hd card with CI/cam....had XP pro64bit and had nightmare switched back to xp pro and all ok except have not got Cam recognised on system...?
    Btw....HD or at least BBC HD preview channel is very nice...not as good as via SkyHD box thru HDMI lead (am using PC connection on Sony tv)
    Any help for my prob with CI would be very welcome....thanks
    Forum Member
    Can the ATI HD series be used on XP?
    Yes, DXVA (HA) is working on XP, was a lot of problems with earlier drivers, but seems OK now.
    There's a long thread about it here:-
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=872538
    Forum Member
    rjgvip wrote: »
    ... all ok except have not got Cam recognised on system...?
    Don't know what software viewer you're using, don't think all software supports CI/cams.
    rjgvip wrote: »
    ... BBC HD preview channel is very nice...not as good as via SkyHD box thru HDMI lead (am using PC connection on Sony tv)
    Are you outputting the video at the right resolution, can you check on your tv what res it is seeing, really need 1:1 pixel mapping for best results. I had probs with my screen, set video card to 1360 x 768 but screen was getting 800 x 600 and upscaling it, due to video drivers, had to set up a custom resolution on card driver, now screen is getting 1360 x 768 and picture is really good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    Using supplied Technisat TV Centre software....found sat/lnb easily enough
    CI/cam recognition is a puzzle?
    Have BFG Nvidea 8800GTX card and resolution 1024/760