Options

what do Monty Python fans REALLY think of Series 4?

adam_fransellaadam_fransella Posts: 1,660
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Personally, I think it is under-appreciated - despite half the episodes focusing on a single story, instead of being in the more popular multi-sketch format, each of them raise more laughs than the second half of Series 3 (where the team did begin to run out of ideas, and many ideas were more bizarre than funny), and the fact that John Cleese is mostly absent seems to have little effect on the material overall.

Regarding Series 4 itself, praise has been levelled at Episodes 3 and 6 ("Party Political Broadcast"), the latter of which (in addition to being the last ever episode) was selected by Terry Gilliam as his personal favourite, in 1999. But there is so very little appreciation for Episode 1 (whose hilarious moments include the King of France turning out to be an impostor), Episode 2 (the poetry recital), Episode 4 (where a famous sports broadcaster sends himself up), and Episode 5 (the post-credits sequence), despite the fact that these are far less fragmented or bland, and far more memorable, than Episodes 8-13 of Series 3.

What if Cleese had left Python halfway through Series 3, and all of Series 4 became the second half of Series 3, instead? That way, a deterioration in quality might have been less noticeable.

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are there no responses? Monty Python may be vintage, but it still has plenty of admirers!
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Give people a chance. It's only 24 hours. sigh.

I had the boxset and stopped watching series 4 part way through. It just seemed to have lost some of the energy of the previous series, almost as if they had a deal for four series and were just fulfilling their contract.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ClarkF1 wrote: »
    Give people a chance. It's only 24 hours. sigh.

My apologies. I am so used to others responding in less than half an hour to most posts, seeing many views but no responses seems quite unusual.
    ClarkF1 wrote: »
    I had the box-set and stopped watching series 4 part way through. It just seemed to have lost some of the energy of the previous series, almost as if they had a deal for four series and were just fulfilling their contract.

So you do not think - even with Cleese present - that with the second half of Series 3, the team had lost the energy of the first half, or even the flawless Series 1 and 2?
    Like I said, I find Series 4 to be a massive improvement, after Series 3 - Cleese may have departed, but the team were more than just funny, once more.