Finally: The Veronica Mars film.

Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Looks like it's going to be a reality.

Less than 5 hours in and they've already passed the half-way point in their funding goal.

There's always room for more Veronica Mars in the world. So excited for this.

Comments

• CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They've made over a $100,000 in the last half hour, they'll have the $2 Million by the end of the day.

Guess there's still a few fans about.

Will this be the start of lots of films/shows being funded this way?

I'm sure Joss Whedon could raise enough for a Serenity sequel if he wanted to.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They made their $2 Million in about 10 hours.
  • RooksRooks Posts: 9,093
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    Will this be the start of lots of films/shows being funded this way?

I'm sure Joss Whedon could raise enough for a Serenity sequel if he wanted to.

Well Joss has enough star power now to make that happen if he wanted to. Bit unlikely though. I hope to see more from the Firefly universe but I doubt we'll ever see a direct followup to the original.

It could lead to revivals for other shows though but more importantly it's showing the networks that the old advertiser driven format is the past, content on demand is the future and people are willing to pay for the content they want. VM has $2.6 million pledged so far and rising, I suspect it'll get between $5-$10 million pledged by the end of this. That's enough for a mini-series.

Great stuff though :)
  • NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Never seen the show, but pleased to see that fans of a cancelled show will get to see a proper conclusion. Hope it's the beginning of a new trend :)

Might check out the dvd's if they're ever released over here.
  • Mark AMark A Posts: 7,689
    Forum Member
    I demand a Xena movie!

Regards

Mark
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    NinjyBear wrote: »
    Never seen the show, but pleased to see that fans of a cancelled show will get to see a proper conclusion. Hope it's the beginning of a new trend :)

Might check out the dvd's if they're ever released over here.

I am pretty sure each ssason was self contained so it wasn't about concluding the series and as the main actress is now in her thirties I suspect the character will also be - can't really pull off being in college any more.
  • NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    alternate wrote: »
    can't really pull off being in college any more.

That never stops them from trying :D
  • GoldeyfishGoldeyfish Posts: 670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am pretty sure each ssason was self contained so it wasn't about concluding the series and as the main actress is now in her thirties I suspect the character will also be - can't really pull off being in college any more.

There,s a brief description of the set up on the kickstater website, the character will be returning for her ten year high school reunion... They've now reached 3.3millon and climbing

I've gotta admit its a pretty awesome concept..
    I'd really love a serenity sequel even if funded this way
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Congrats to them for doing it but I had kind of thought people would've moved on from the show's cancellation though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    Congrats to them for doing it but I had kind of thought people would've moved on from the show's cancellation though.

Well if the fans are willing to pledge millions for more!
    Who are we (non-fans) to object!
    More power to them!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And also considering doctor who has approximately 1millon uk pounds an episode... How much till the fans pay for a mini series???
  • LMLM Posts: 63,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't E4 have viewing rights to Veronica mars? I would like them to re-run it as I only ever saw each episode once and would be nice to cacth up for the film.
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't E4 have viewing rights to Veronica mars? I would like them to re-run it as I only ever saw each episode once and would be nice to cacth up for the film.

Woo hoo - the return of VM! That news has made my week :D

Its also making me slightly nervous just in case they can't capture the brilliance of the show after such a long time.

Considering the enormous success of the kickstarter project, you'd think the BBC or 4 would consider screening it... although they may figure that the fans here will already have copies.

Wish list for returning characters - Wallace, Weevil, Logan, Keith, Dick, Mac... and not forgetting the always amusing Vinnie.... Can we hope for no Duncan or Pez?
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'twas in the US TV Forum if anyone was interested ..

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1807136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'twas in the US TV Forum if anyone was interested ..

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1807136

Doh - I wonder if it breaks T&Cs to copy it into there too... probably....
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    Doh - I wonder if it breaks T&Cs to copy it into there too... probably....

Meh .. it probably counts for both .. it's a US TV Show and a cult show .. two for the price of one :)
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wow thats great news for VM fans

i know joss is a big wig but if there is any fear for serenity or buffy spin off he should set this up,worldwide he would get close to 10m!

this could be future,so many films that only break even or make tiny profit but are critically acclaimed or have cult followings dont often see sequels,this could change that
  • leithladleithlad Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great news cannot wait to see how this pans out,wonder if creator Geoff Thomas could get Whedon to direct seeing as he directed an ep in the original run:D.....mmm maybe not
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So is the plan for her to pretend to still be young enough to be a Freshman or move on from teh setting that was surely a large part of the show's character?
  • Mark AMark A Posts: 7,689
    Forum Member
    I believe it's to be set at some sort of school reunion, neatly explaining why they've all aged. The question is, has she since established a career as a Fed, or is she still a PI?

Regards

Mark
  • LMLM Posts: 63,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went on the kickstarter website and read the synopsis and it says that Veronica hasn't taken on a single case since the series finale of season 3. But something occurs when she visits Neptune for her school reunion and Veronica can't help but investigate.
  • Ghost WorldGhost World Posts: 7,036
    Forum Member
    She's also preggers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What the tiny blonde one has been up to in the last 10 years
    She transferred away from Hearst college after that freshman year and went up to Stanford and finished her undergraduate degree. And then she went to Columbia Law School. She’s certainly been back to Neptune from time to time to see her dad and Mac and Wallace, but she hasn’t worked a PI case since the last one we all saw in the final episode of Season 3. She ruined her dad’s chance for re-election and she decided that that path had caused too much chaos in her life. And so she hasn’t worked a PI case in nine years. And when we meet her, she’s sort of like where Tom Cruise was in the beginning of The Firm. She’s between having graduated and taken the bar and she’s interviewing at various law firms in New York.”
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,750
    Forum Member
    Can't wait.
  • andy614andy614 Posts: 45,259
    Forum Member
    This is now open to countries other than American now too, including the UK!

You can now pledge from here and get the first 9 'rewards'.

Yay!