So, which shop charged the most for GTA V?

Jon79Jon79 Posts: 1,400
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was shocked to learn yesterday that GAME are charging £45 for GTA V. I had suspected they would break the £40 barrier and was unwilling to pre-order with them for that reason(even though I had games to trade). HMV closed their store near where I live so i'm not sure if they followed suit?

Anyways, amazing that they feel they can get away with that when Tescos are selling it for £38 and on-line even cheaper. Is it your average gamer at fault for not shopping around or is there a reason why gamers want to pay extra? When you think of the volumes that were shifted they still would've made a hefty profit if they sold at £40. To make it worse trade-in price is £22. Yeah, not a fan if you haven't guessed already.

Comments

• brbbrb Posts: 27,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ASDA are selling for 42.
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    brb wrote: »
    ASDA are selling for 42.

I went to asda yesterday to get mine and it was £39.97
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Blockbuster was £44.99 on release day
  • Green ThingGreen Thing Posts: 1,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Granger games at £47
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    homer2012 wrote: »

Second that
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    homer2012 wrote: »

Then they just reduced it! I went in on release day and it was £42 :eek:
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    Then they just reduced it! I went in on release day and it was £42 :eek:

I bought mine from Asda on release day at £39.97
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazon was listing it at £52 when I checked.
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You think GAME going into administration would make the alarm bells ring but nah they still over charge.
  • paulj48paulj48 Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazon was listing it at £52 when I checked.

not Amazon but a seller on there
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kendoguk wrote: »
    You think GAME going into administration would make the alarm bells ring but nah they still over charge.

Not really.

The RRP is £49.99, so while GAME might be more expensive than other retailers they aren't over charging at all. In addition, supermarkets will sell games like GTA at a very small (or even no) profit, as a way of generating footfall, in the hope that people will buy other things while they are there.
  • Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    HMV were selling it for £47.99 in the Trafford Centre. I was a bit pissed Game wouldn't allow student discount on "launch day". In the end the queue was so big I buggered off to tesco and got it for £38 which was still cheaper than game after discount anyway.
  • crazybeatscrazybeats Posts: 383
    Forum Member
    You can't get everything cheaper because you're a student. Sometimes you need to stand in line with the big boys and pay the proper prices.
  • Jon79Jon79 Posts: 1,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aye Up wrote: »
    HMV were selling it for £47.99 in the Trafford Centre. I was a bit pissed Game wouldn't allow student discount on "launch day". In the end the queue was so big I buggered off to tesco and got it for £38 which was still cheaper than game after discount anyway.

Good on you for going elsewhere. Nothing but pure greed on their behalf. There is absolutely no reason why you should pay more than you have to. Do they allow the student discount for other launches?
  • jaimeswjaimesw Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't agree with student discounts on things that have no relation to what that student is studying.
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised Rockstar didn't hike the RRP to £54.99 knowing that even at that price it would still sell millions of copies.
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jaimesw wrote: »
    I don't agree with student discounts on things that have no relation to what that student is studying.

What if you are studying media or computer programming? :o;):D
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or studying for a degree in grand theft auto
  • wildphantom!wildphantom! Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HMV are selling it in Glasgow for £46.99. But their is a 10% discount for students.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PSN £49.99
    a independant trader called Games4u had it priced at £59.99
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    I bought my cop from Tesco's online. was 38.99 but they done a deal where you get £5 off so that come to 33.99. Then the day after release they refunded me 1.99 for some reason so I got the game for £32 and it arrived at about 10am on release day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brought mine from tesco for £38.

i new game would charge as much as they can.
    they still got the last of us for £40
  • Weigh-ManWeigh-Man Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CEX were selling it for £75 on release day, I think it was on ebay for the same as well, when amazon ran out of stock.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Weigh-Man wrote: »
    CEX were selling it for £75 on release day, I think it was on ebay for the same as well, when amazon ran out of stock.

They were selling it at 75 quid sat to monday...before release somehow, then it dropped it to 55 quid on release day up to yesterday and they now got it at 45 quid
    so they win and i thought they were just second hand
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    Or studying for a degree in grand theft auto

Omgz wer can I sing up 4 dat!!

I remember being able to refer to GTA in one of my Communication Studies A Level exams, which was fun for me, although I've forget the relevance of it now!