Has Leona Lewis lost it?

intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
Forum Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOXY-7NaR34

The second half of the video is her singing Bleeding Love and is the worst I've heard her sing it live. The end of the song is around the 7m mark and is particularly where she sounds strained. I don't know if it was an off performance but I was quite shocked when I heard it.

Comments

• intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    Zack06 wrote: »

If the thread had been about whether singers deliver better performances in a studio than they can live then yes, case would be closed, and we could praise the likes of Katy Perry and Rihanna for being good singers.

Don't get me wrong, I love Leona, and she is probably my favourite X Factor winner, but I find it unrealistic that anybody could watch that video and not find something lacking with her vocals.
  • Time EraserTime Eraser Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    Wasn't she supposed to be the next Whitney Houston or something?
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Every singer has off nights performing live and Whitney before her untimely death was pretty dreadful live after years of drug abuse.
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    Hard to tell. She does occasionally sound odd live compared to her previous peak.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the thread had been about whether singers deliver better performances in a studio than they can live then yes, case would be closed, and we could praise the likes of Katy Perry and Rihanna for being good singers.

Don't get me wrong, I love Leona, and she is probably my favourite X Factor winner, but I find it unrealistic that anybody could watch that video and not find something lacking with her vocals.

Katy and Rihanna don't sing opera, so I'm failing to see how that is a relevant justification. Plus the video you posted is almost a year old now. She is in much better shape vocally. Try listening to something recent before making snap judgements.

Every singer's voice fluctuates over time. I don't think she sounded bad, all things considered.

I don't know how you can bring Katy and Rihanna into this when talking about live vocals. Even on her worst day, Leona is still far superior to those girls.
    Forum Member
    jonner101 wrote: »
    Every singer has off nights performing live and Whitney before her untimely death was pretty dreadful live after years of drug abuse.

1) Whitney had been singing live much longer than Leona and was much older when she started to be 'pretty dreadful'.
    2) Leona has not been reported as having gone through years of drug abuse
  • Time EraserTime Eraser Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    Whitney was falling as she turned 40.

Leona is still 28.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonner101 wrote: »

But before the drugs, Whitney was phenomenal. I don't think Leona could hold a candle to the younger Whitney.

For me, Leona has a very good voice but she is, frankly, boring and lacking in star quality, which Whitney most definitely was not. Most of Leona's songs send me to sleep as well.....so for her to come back out on top again, she needs to come out with some better songs. Other than 'Run', she's a great cure for insomnia.
    Forum Member
    Katy and Rihanna don't sing opera, so I'm failing to see how that is a relevant justification.

Every singer's voice fluctuates over time. It's worth noting that she was on a very successful tour for her 3rd album and also recorded her Christmas album, so her vocals have been working quite hard. I don't think she sounded bad, all things considered.

I don't know how you can bring Katy and Rihanna into this when talking about live vocals. Even on her worst day, Leona is still far superior to those girls.

I mentioned those two because you presented a clip of Leona singing on an album(?) track. The point I was trying to make (probably not very good in my other post) was that any singer that didn't deliver good vocals live (i.e. Katy and Rihanna) could sound good after take after take and multiple edits in a studio.

I know that Leona wipes the floor with those two. I just found it rather sad listening to that performance knowing she has done it far better. As I said, I;m a fan of Leona and don't mean this to be a put-down thread, I was just shocked that it sounded that way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

At the present rate she would need to be around for another 100 years plus to achieve Whitney's success.

I think she'll be lucky to be around for another 3.

O damn I forget to mention that it is all her management's fault.:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    But before the drugs, Whitney was phenomenal. I don't think Leona could hold a candle to the younger Whitney.

For me, Leona has a very good voice but she is, frankly, boring and lacking in star quality, which Whitney most definitely was not. Most of Leona's songs send me to sleep as well.....so for her to come back out on top again, she needs to come out with some better songs. Other than 'Run', she's a great cure for insomnia.

Personally, I've always thought that Leona never wanted to be a star, and definitely did not seek to be 'famous' and does not court attention. If it ended for her tomorrow I think she would be perfectly happy with how it all turned out for her.
  • DamienSDamienS Posts: 12,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think she quite has the life power she used to, but she is constantly sick and prob was here
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I mentioned those two because you presented a clip of Leona singing on an album(?) track. The point I was trying to make (probably not very good in my other post) was that any singer that didn't deliver good vocals live (i.e. Katy and Rihanna) could sound good after take after take and multiple edits in a studio.

I know that Leona wipes the floor with those two. I just found it rather sad listening to that performance knowing she has done it far better. As I said, I;m a fan of Leona and don't mean this to be a put-down thread, I was just shocked that it sounded that way.

It's not even a recent performance though? If you look at some of her Christmas performances this month, she is sounding brilliant.

I could easily find performances for any singer of them sounding bad in the past. Like others have said, every singer will have off days, but Leona has been sounding great recently.
  • Dean_AdamsDean_Adams Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was sick alot this year... tonsilitis etc.

Her latest performance have been pretty good :)
  • noelw1969noelw1969 Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, of course, as always its best to make stupid and needless comparisons to the likes of Whitney !! Its a very rare thing that artists make the kind of grade that Whitney did.

Leona is a class act and one of the very best we have. The performance in the link provided by the OP is good. Nowt wrong there. Don't judge Leona by putting her alongside others, judge by what you hear. She may not get the success others have enjoyed but she is still out there doing a fantastic job and doing us proud.
    Forum Member
    It's not even a recent performance though? If you look at some of her Christmas performances this month, she is sounding brilliant.

I could easily find performances for any singer of them sounding bad in the past. Like others have said, every singer will have off days, but Leona has been sounding great recently.

Cool, I will check some out. Any recommendations? I said in my OP i was wondering whether it was just an off performance of hers.
  • Dean_AdamsDean_Adams Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least she still sings live, whilst being ill. Cant say that for much artists nowadays.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 457
    Forum Member
    Leona lewis has an off performance does not equal "lost it". Do you go into work every day and give your absolute best, or do you also as a human being have off days? Leona has more than proved herself live on many occasions.

And the Whitney argument, to even be compared to her just shows what an exceptional talent leona is. I would argue Whitney Houston didn't have half the versatility Leona has exhibited in only 7 years (and 3/4 albums).
  • noelw1969noelw1969 Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leona lewis has an off performance does not equal "lost it". Do you go into work every day and give your absolute best, or do you also as a human being have off days? Leona has more than proved herself live on many occasions.

And the Whitney argument, to even be compared to her just shows what an exceptional talent leona is. I would argue Whitney Houston didn't have half the versatility Leona has exhibited in only 7 years (and 3/4 albums).

Well said. :)
  • rattierattie Posts: 7,050
    Forum Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOXY-7NaR34

The second half of the video is her singing Bleeding Love and is the worst I've heard her sing it live. The end of the song is around the 7m mark and is particularly where she sounds strained. I don't know if it was an off performance but I was quite shocked when I heard it.

If that's an off day, then I think many singers would quite like one of her off days. In no way was that a shockingly poor performance by any means even if it wasn't a stand out one.

Bit harsh OP :confused:
    Forum Member
    rattie wrote: »
    If that's an off day, then I think many singers would quite like one of her off days. In no way was that a shockingly poor performance by any means even if it wasn't a stand out one.

Bit harsh OP :confused:

I did not say it was a shockingly poor performance. I said it was, It my opinion, the worst performance of Bleeding Love I have ever heard her sing live
  • rattierattie Posts: 7,050
    Forum Member
    I did not say it was a shockingly poor performance. I said it was, It my opinion, the worst performance of Bleeding Love I have ever heard her sing live

You said you were shocked...........because it was so bad as to be shocking? At least that's how it read.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 457
    Forum Member

There is worse. But then theres a handful of off performances compared to many many fantastic vocal performances.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    Didnt she have plastic surgery?