Panasonic child lock

I recorded The Motorbike Show on ITV4 last night on my new Panasonic DMR-HW220 HDD recorder but it won't let me watch the recording.
In Setup, "Child lock for playback" is set to "On" by default and can't be changed without a PIN.
The recording has a G symbol and it says "This content is restricted by child lock" and I must enter my PIN to unlock it.
The thing is, I haven't set a PIN on either the HDD recorder or the TV, so is there a factory default PIN I should know?
From reading the badly-written manual (example: "Do not expose the terminals of the SD card to water, garbage or other strange things") it seems possible that I have to set a PIN whether I want to or not, but it doesn't explicitly say so.
The content wasn't "adult" as far as I'm aware. I've just tried recording a few seconds of what happened to be on ITV4 currently and the same thing happened.
I don't know if the restriction is being applied by the recorder or by the broadcaster but I can watch live ITV4 transmissions no problem.
I haven't got children in the house and take a dim view of being nannied like this!

Comments