Madonna Appreciation Thread (Part 8)

Comments

• Terry HesticlesTerry Hesticles Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    gpk wrote: »
    that is brilliant story. especially, the bit in bold.:D

the thing is though, i honestly feel that ageism in music has worsened since 2005 and madonna has aged another decade since then. the next lead single is crucial though and she needs to select something commercial, but also a track that will represent the album better than the leads from "mdna" did.

in the lead up to kylie's new release, some of her fans were quick to point out that kylie is a decade younger than madonna and that her connections at the bbc should ensure radio 1 support. so did any of that make kylie more relevant with the single buying public and land her a smash top 5 lead single? in short, no, it didn't. "into the blue" was a better lead single than gmayl, there is no denying that, but it wasn't an impressive return chart wise either.

like i said before, i can be "terminally negative" when the mood takes me, but i honestly feel madonna's days of scoring big hit singles both sides of the atlantic are behind her. however, with the right material, she still has the potential to sell a lot of albums and her tour grosses speak for themselves.

although, it all depends on madonna's personal priorities and agenda. if anyone has the balls to challenge ageism, then its her. throughout her entire career, she has challenged taboos and pushed forward positive agendas, but like i said, it all depends on whether having hit singles still motivates her or is high on her list of personal priorities.

Thanks - I really believe the next song needs to be as good as Hung Up/Into The Groove, like I say like Cher's 'Believe', a brilliant pop song and video which will make all DJ's and critics sit up and take notice!
  • Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My all wrote: »
    I hope for her next music video she doesn't try to be overtly sexual as it will turn off the younger audience! She can be sexy without coming across as desperate! I asked my friends 16 yr old daughter what she thought of Madonna and she said that she was like a stripper granny trying to appeal to a younger audience! It's a shame that the younger generation don't appreciate her, though some of her antics on the MDNA tour were cring worthy! Flashing her nipple onstage when her children were backstage was total face palm! Plus she always swears when she's on stage which is totally unnecessary! I may sound like a prude but I dont think she needs to act her own age! Just tone it down slightly! Plus she needs to envoke humour into her show and not take herself too seriously!
    If she gets Nile Rogers to work with her again and daft punk and Pharrell on her next album, it could be amazing!
    I did like MDNA but it wasn't her best work by any means!
    I think William orbit contributions on it were good but unfortunately it didn't recapture the magic they had on the Ray Of Light era!

Madonna's main audience isn't 16 year olds. Madonna has always been sexual and sweared! I remember hearing swearing during Blonde Ambition and it was a big controversy. I don't think she has to give up who she has always been because she's older. Madonna's main audience is adults who can handle a little nudity and swearing. Madonna has a great sense of humour and certainly doesn't take herself totally seriously. There's plenty of humour in her shows. But she does have things she wants to say from a political and social point of view.

In some interesting news, Madonna was pictured in the studio on twitter with this singer/songwriter Mozella who used to be signed to her old label Maverick. Mozella's music is kind of laid back groove based R&B sort of like what Madonna did on Bedtime Stories.
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,170
    Forum Member
    yep ...it is a shame because actually the album could have a groundbreaking reconnection with the music public

masterpiece -i'm addicted - some girls - beautiful killer or love spent - falling free
    (gang bang - was and should have always been the albums best kept secret - artforfreedom)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like I'm Addicted a lot, but I don't think it would have been a good single. It's a little too hard on the beats and technoish for a general audience.
    I stand by my opinion Turn Up the Radio would have been a great first single, it brings back good memories of happy carefree 80's Madonna.
  • Terry HesticlesTerry Hesticles Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    Oh I couldn't agree more re Beautiful Killer, and why Broken was never released as a single I will never know!
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm still amazed that after the Golden Globe win Masterpiece wasn't released as a single. Radio 2 had it on their playlist and it was even their record of the week. All it needed was some decent promo from her and it would have been the hit she needed to get the MDNA era started.

Beautiful Killer was also a massive wasted opportunity. I cannot believe it was only on the deluxe. It should have been a single. This is why I think Madonna benefited from being with Warner. Madonna picked the songs for the album but it was them who picked the singles and they always made the right choices. Madonna once said she could never pick what makes a good single. She was right! I'm still gutted she parted from them.

As for the person who said Madonna should act her age!!! Madonna has always been sexual. Frankly if Madonna wasn't being sexual she wouldn't be true to herself and everything she stands for. Even in the ever so serious Ray Of Light era she was grinding her ass in Austin Powers face! This is who Madonna is and what she has always and will always be.
    Forum Member
    i disagree gigi .... i'm addicted is not for 16s only ... its much more than that ... it is a reflective consciousness of sound and culture ..which everyone from the 60s to present could relate to....

i wonder what a red one 'madonna track' would sound like? Im listening to nicki minaj 'pound the alarm' ; 'automatic'; 'starships' ...they all have that heavy volume bite ....

she would never record with him sadly.... but i bet it is his ambition :(

maybe a collab with orbit?
    Forum Member
    'turn the radio'; 'gmayl' and 'GGW' had a synthetic copy like sound of S.Price.... nearly as a good but nowhere as good... he so should have produced those tracks....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's done is done. There's no use going back over what should have been, could have been. It's interesting putting together all these different producers and songwriters she's working with. They seem diverse and I'm not sure how they will all fit together. Of them only Avicii is a typical dj/EDM artist but even he incorporates atypical stuff like folk/country guitars. I feel this record will have more of a pop feel, and not so much straight electronica/dance although there will be elements of that. I feel that is a good move on her part. Even though I personally like her dance stuff, I definitely feel that certain fans have gotten tired of the straight dance stuff and are looking for different sounds. This new record seems exciting.

It seems like possible song titles from her instagram are Rebel Heart, Holy Water, Trust no Bitch and Body Shop.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Besides Mozella, she was also seen in the studio with Symbolyc One, who's a rapper and produced for Kayne West, Beyonce and played with Erykah Badu and Toby Gad who produced and wrote for Beyonce, Kelly Clarkson, Fergie and Alicia Keys. So I guess they are producers on the album also.
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    when people more generally hear "turn up the radio" they are not reminded of anything other than solveig more recent smash hit "hello" from 2010. that should never have been released as a single and certainly shouldn't have been the album lead. had solveig not produced the track, like bfp suggested, then perhaps it could have had more of a madonna "stamp" on it.

frankly, i am still shocked that "girl gone wild" and "turn up the radio" were singles, considering her minimal input in the creation of those tracks. "mdna" leaded with "i'm addicted" would have had the media in a spin, the daily fail would have had a meltdown.:o i agree that should have, could have, would have is all speculative anyhow, but at least we are all agreed that gmayl was the wrong lead single choice.:)

people more generally are bored of madonna's uninspired single choices of late with songs about clubbing and having fun, because people expect much more from her and she has previously set the bar far higher than that. "frozen", "like a prayer", "live to tell" were all curve ball lead singles that people just couldn't ignore. she needs that level of genius again, if she truly wants a huge commercial return.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am just WOWED by the names she is working with here....i mean this looks set to be a real blend of styles on one album...looks like some grimey/urban sounds and Soulful/Neo-Soul elements will be brought on board :-) really REALLY cannot wait to hear what they have crafted and what Madonna has mapped out for this album!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am just WOWED by the names she is working with here....i mean this looks set to be a real blend of styles on one album...looks like some grimey/urban sounds and Soulful/Neo-Soul elements will be brought on board :-) really REALLY cannot wait to hear what they have crafted and what Madonna has mapped out for this album!

Yes, I agree. People say Madonna is out of touch or whatever, but I think she realizes she needs to do something different on this album to get attention and re-energize her fan base. People don't give her enough credit.
    As far as hit singles, she has had hits that are about fun and dancing and ones like Live to Tell that are about deeper things. So it's hard to say if one is more likely to be a hit than the other. But I think for most people they pay more attention to the melody and the music in making something a hit.
    But what's so exciting about Madonna is she works with different people on each album. With some artists it's always the same people so you know exactly what it's going to sound like. But Madonna you don't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also it is interesting looking back at the way MDNA was handeled...and the way POP was handeled 2010 - well the past yar really...lack of promos/airplay on radio/tv circulation for any massive named artist...let alone Madonna.

The exceptions always being Lady gaga, RIhanna and Katy Perry across that time period. ANd now it is like there is a shift i nthe air...artists who were in their 20s are now in their 30s and now getting less airplay....Timberlake gets Mirrors on airplay all the time however and P!nk always is a radio darling here...but others struggle...Beyonce while i am not a MASSIVE fan of the album itself...the concept of her fifth album and way it was marketed i think will be beneficial furthermore for artists....others have done it before where they just release the album before any single in the Indie market/underground artistic performers (grimes, Iamamiwhoami etc). So it was a matter of time...and i feel this will benefit Madonna...she will have her lead song (songs) and videos/visuals but i think the focus will be different this time..name alone only gets you so far but ifeel people will really expect a shock when it comes to Madonna...and with Avicii, Natalia Kills, Cherry Boom Boom (forget his name), some of the posse involved with Bloodshy & Avant/Robyn/Swedish House Mafia...and now with MoZella and Symbolyc One it really opens up so many areas that Madonna promised at the beginning of 2014

And she is about to show the world why she does have the crown...it is a different musical world but i think Madonna will really showcase her artistry....ii feel while she doesnt "need" the youth market (they are fickle and grow tired wthin a few years...i mean in and out is the way they go...Miley is hot property now until she isnt) but i feel that they do need to SEE that Madonna is MADONNA for a reason...not an attention seeker/hasbeen etc....she is here long term has been and will be :) i just feel and hope this showcases the same artist that has given us SO many classics in Pop Culture history....by the set up...it sounds like...i just want to be surprised.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    Yes, I agree. People say Madonna is out of touch or whatever, but I think she realizes she needs to do something different on this album to get attention and re-energize her fan base. People don't give her enough credit.
    As far as hit singles, she has had hits that are about fun and dancing and ones like Live to Tell that are about deeper things. So it's hard to say if one is more likely to be a hit than the other. But I think for most people they pay more attention to the melody and the music in making something a hit.
    But what's so exciting about Madonna is she works with different people on each album. With some artists it's always the same people so you know exactly what it's going to sound like. But Madonna you don't.

Exactly, with Madonna she doesnt really have a niche "sound" like ehr contemporaries...MJ, Prince, Celine DIon, WHitney, Mariah all kinda...you know what you would get from them.

With Madonna she is rare...she more has a "iconic style" in the way songs are created...doesnt matter who she works with you hear the MADONNA about it...which i guess is why so many artists (male/female) do get compared singing/songwriting style to Madonna because that is her genre/niche i guess...her namesake...does it shock?make you think?have a pwoerful hook? double/triple entendre? kinda themes and vibes...i lvoe that.

And again why people sometimes get jarred in the mainstream by her...sometimes she completely goes against what is current to make what will be current etc...something CYndi Lauper said recently actually :-) very cool indeed.

and i guess why MDNA only went gold here despite initial strong sales and then dip...because people just didnt know what they were getting...whereas her contemporaries people DO know so they pretty much ensure a solid run of stats :) but i prefer a change up ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    people, especially in this thread give madonna plenty of credit. read between the lines and don't just dwell on the negatives people.

"vogue", "into the groove" and "music" are classic examples of where madonna has done carefree with flair, that cannot be said of her most recent single releases.

all indications suggest that she is upping her game this time around, but that has been acknowledged and discussed at length by most of the contributors here. everybody is excited, hyped and positive about the prospect of a new album this year. of course, different fans have different expectations, but most people here all agree she has never made a truly dire album and that is why most of us are here.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved her Buzzfeed quotes...i really think all these art for freedom clips will be utilised for her new album...maybe even incorporated into her videos/visuals somehow...very excited about that.

ANd i think she is echoing back to Like a Prayer and Ray of Light and American Life when she showcased her rebellion against religion/spiritual identity/political outrage and pushing forward....really really cannot wait to hear what she has come up with.

Plus the past few months i have really loved her style too...very cool.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's what has got me so excited for this album. It actually feels like she has stories to tell again. The whole artforfreedom thing is featuring heavily in all the snippets we are getting from her which means she is out to break some balls :p Last time she was this focused on some sort of new movement was American Life. I've said it before but Madonna is always at her very best when she is pissing people off. I just hope she holds her nerve and sticks to whatever it is she is planning. It still guts me she pulled the American Life video - which imho was one of her very best.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the AMerican Life video i reckon SHOULD have aired....it would have been the making for the era i think....and would have followed a route similar to Like a Prayer i reckon :-) but sadly it did not happen.

I feel like she will tie personal elements with her artistic inspirations for this album and make something broad and accessable but in turn...introspective and deep...she has done and can do and most likely will do that sort of album :) and i am excited :)

I think it will be the making for the rest of her legacy...i mean she has shaped it, set in stone, her influence is incredible...and still every era she gets new fans too :) so this is what excites me...it is over two years since MDNA it will be fresh to see how M shakes it all up :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "american life" the song is quite dreadful.:blush: i would even place gmayl ahead of it as a lead single.:o the song was too similar to "music", the message was confusing and the rap was cringe worthy.:blush: however, the video as it was originally intended, completely elevated the song, it brought clarity to the song's message and the rap even was tolerable, due to the tongue in cheek delivery visually. i cannot praise that video enough and it was the first sign (for me) that she was losing her nerve/edge, when that video was pulled.

i am sure i read somewhere that she was concerned for the first time how her artistic whims could effect her children and i can totally understand that. becoming a parent changes people, it certainly has changed my brother for the better, just thinking of a personal example. its clear to me that her priorities have changed and the children have filled a huge void in her life. her career is not her sole focus now, but actually, i can totally relate to that too.

she is doing more teasing this time around though and she seems focused musically. this is a big positive, because she has so much potential and a lot still left to offer. when she is truly inspired by something, which i think that "artforfreedom" has been for her, she is at her best. i think the "artforfreedom" was all brought about by injustices/discrimination she witnessed on the "mdna tour". so besides the huge financial rewards she reaped during that tour, it actually re-energised her enthusiasm and give her a new sense of purpose.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah the American Life song was dire but the original video made it work. I understand her reasons for pulling it. I just wish she hadn't. The only reason the American media were pissed at her over it is because they couldn't handle the truth of the message behind the video.
  • Sunny BSunny B Posts: 7,359
    Forum Member
    Just listening to "Love Spent", one of the best tracks of MDNA - should have been the third single instead of TUTR!
    Forum Member
    Yeah the American Life song was dire but the original video made it work. I understand her reasons for pulling it. I just wish she hadn't. The only reason the American media were pissed at her over it is because they couldn't handle the truth of the message behind the video.

the song was so catchy .... and some of the remixes were amazing

the video should have been released....

it would have been extremely controversial though and at a time when young soldiers were going to war ...i am not sure that it would have been appreciated at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best version of American life is the more rock version with electric guitars that is on Remixed and Revisited and like the version she did on the RIT. I wish the single version had been like that. The single is okay but it lacks a little punch to really have an impact.
    Forum Member
    yep i agree Gigi - the headcleanr mix is just sublime!