Count Arthur Strong TV sitcom?

Comments

• myoldmatemyoldmate Posts: 1,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I listen to a lot of radio comedy (4extra) and no other show has made me laugh out loud as often as CAS has.

I am concerned though that it will not translate as well to the small screen. I hope it will but we'll see.

Anyway not long to wait, this time next week we'll have the proof.
  • fizzycatfizzycat Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    Another CAS fan signing in.

We're both looking forward to trying the TV version although we share the reservations voiced on here as to how well it will work.

We were lucky enough to see him about 4 years ago but stage is different from TV. There was plenty of scope for 'noises off' and bumbling around in the wings which TV won't give.
  • macavity77macavity77 Posts: 404
    Forum Member
    Love the radio show but not sure about on TV. Oddly he rather reminds me of Harry Worth.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just seen a trailer inbetween flicking around the tennis on the BBC.
    Might give it a watch. Thought I recognised Rory Kinnear.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    macavity77 wrote: »
    Love the radio show but not sure about on TV. Oddly he rather reminds me of Harry Worth.

A bit,the bumbling old man act, but Harry was a nice gentleman. Arthur is quite a lot nastier altogether and all the better for it.
  • Dr.  OtterblandDr. Otterbland Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking forward to seeing it, hope it works TV wise.
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    I love the radio shows, and have seen him live but i have reservations about the TV show. We will see...
  • worrierprincessworrierprincess Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    Miranda was originally a radio series too and look how that took off on TV. I actually recently listened to the radio version and didn't find it funny at all which is weird because I really enjoy the TV series and found it odd that it was initially a radio series because Miranda's style of comedy relies so heavily on physical comedy and addressing the camera. Her mannerisms are often what crack me up the most.

Anyway, back on-topic, I have seen the preview for CAS a few times and I get the feeling it won't be for me but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and watch the first episode. Can't be any worse than The Wright Way, can it?!
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    An 8:30pm slot...

Isn't that rather unusual??
  • BirdsworthBirdsworth Posts: 1,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like other fans of Count Arthur, I am *very* apprehensive about seeing the Great Man on the televisual idiot-viewing box.
    The one ray of hope is that his humour doesn't really rely on "pictures on the radio" in the way that other radio comedies do - so much of the comedy is verbal. So, it might just work.

Fingers, legs, and everything else crossed. If it works as well as it does on the wireless, he's going to be huge.
    I am sure the critics will hate it though....
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    macavity77 wrote: »
    Oddly he rather reminds me of Harry Worth.
    Just reading the website and looking in Wikiperdia, (and not having heard any of the radio shows) I was just thinking the same
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    I saw the trailer on BBC2 the other day. I must say I'm not sure what to make of it but I really enjoyed the trip to Pinewood Studios and thought it was very funny 'in person'. As usual, the BBC don't know how to promote themselves, especially if it's anything anything a bit out of the ordinary.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    An 8:30pm slot...

Isn't that rather unusual??

Thought that myself, the Count can be a bit saucy so that aspect may have been erased.
  • grantus_maxgrantus_max Posts: 2,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AZZURRI 06 wrote: »
    John Shuttleworth is brilliant!!!

I really like John Shuttleworth and I got very excited when he was going to appear on TV and told Mrs Max and my step-son that this guy was really funny that was coming on. He came on and they just looked condescendinlgy at me with that "what's so funny about this idiot" look on their faces...

I won't be making that mistake again. If they watch the new show *and* find Count Arthur funny, *then* I'll own up to having been listening to him for ages on R4... :cool:
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    8.30 is a very weird timeslot. Shouldn't they be showing gardening programmes at 8.30? :confused:

I am not sure that this bodes well for the Count.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A clip has surfaced. I like it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0Dh2Y9yKzw
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was told that he was a bit like Sir Henry Rawlinson. Doesn't even come close.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Just seen a trailer inbetween flicking around the tennis on the BBC.
    Might give it a watch. Thought I recognised Rory Kinnear.
    I saw the trailer. I wouldn't have known who that was but I watched Skyfall again the other night.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    8.30 is a very weird timeslot. Shouldn't they be showing gardening programmes at 8.30? :confused:

I am not sure that this bodes well for the Count.
    8:30 on BBC2 on a Monday is strange. I could see it if it was on BBC4 or on BBC1 on a Friday at that time.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Came across this by accident on Radio Four Extra and thought it was one of their repeats of a 60's programme. It's certainly an acquired taste shall we say. Like others I struggle to see it making the transition to tv.

Me too.... Whenever it was one I always imagined he looked a bit like Norman collier...

I really not sure whet to make of it....
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    I think only existing fans will like it. Luckily, that includes me.
  • TheGrumpWizardTheGrumpWizard Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This got slaughtered by Kevin O'Sullivan as unfunny bilge but a guy on Talksport just now says it's ok.

Looks like it's going to be another Mrs Brown and Miranda in that it's going to split opinion big time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member
    Judging by the promo, it looks like yet another hammy, contrived and over acted sitcom. :sleep:

Why can't the BBC make proper studio based sitcoms like they used to do with proper actors and well written scripts? These days, the scripts are just full of cheap jokes.
  • Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,960
    Forum Member
    Looks like it's going to be another Mrs Brown and Miranda in that it's going to split opinion big time.

And be a ratings success in the process? ;)

20:30 is a strange slot for a studio comedy - you'd expect any studio comedy to be after the watershed, but I will give this a go.
  • TheGrumpWizardTheGrumpWizard Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    And be a ratings success in the process? ;)
    Time will tell! Neither of those two appealed to me but I've no problem with them being on as plenty others obviously liked them.

I love comedy so here's hoping the Count works out but I'm not holding my breath from what I've seen and heard so far. If they were going to put anything that I've heard from the BBC's radio stable on tv I would have guessed Clare In The Community. A lot more boxes ticked for them...!