If casting was different

James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
Forum Member
As we know sometimes the planned cast changes from the first idea now this has often worked out for the best but what would have happened if the original plan had gone ahead examples are.

They originally wanted David Jason to play Lance Corporal Jones in Dad's Army now I myself can not imagine anybody but Clive Dunn telling me "Don't Panic" and the fact "They Don't Like It Up Em"

I do think David could have made a good Jones but it would have been a very different Jones I don't think we would have gotten quite as much as the physical comedy Dunn brought to the part.

In the end it worked out for the best as if he had gotten the role then he would not have got the part of Del Boy Trotter.

Another one is Norman Wisdom was wanted to play the part of Frank Spencer in Some Mothers Do Have Em if he had again it would have been a very different Frank given his age then Betty would have had to be older and Baby Jessica would have been unlikely and I don't think we could have got as many job jokes as he would have been nearing retirement age.

I would have loved to see him turn up in a special though as Frank's Uncle (Norman Spencer?) who was just like him if they did a stunt scene together I think it could have gone down as one of the all time great comedy moments in history

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As we know sometimes the planned cast changes from the first idea now this has often worked out for the best but what would have happened if the original plan had gone ahead examples are.

They originally wanted David Jason to play Lance Corporal Jones in Dad's Army now I myself can not imagine anybody but Clive Dunn telling me "Don't Panic" and the fact "They Don't Like It Up Em"

I do think David could have made a good Jones but it would have been a very different Jones I don't think we would have gotten quite as much as the physical comedy Dunn brought to the part.

In the end it worked out for the best as if he had gotten the role then he would not have got the part of Del Boy Trotter.

Another one is Norman Wisdom was wanted to play the part of Frank Spencer in Some Mothers Do Have Em if he had again it would have been a very different Frank given his age then Betty would have had to be older and Baby Jessica would have been unlikely and I don't think we could have got as many job jokes as he would have been nearing retirement age.

I would have loved to see him turn up in a special though as Frank's Uncle (Norman Spencer?) who was just like him if they did a stunt scene together I think it could have gone down as one of the all time great comedy moments in history

I always wondered what Jim Broadbent would have been like as Del Boy as originally planned.
    Oh and John Travolta as..........Forrest Gump.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I always wondered what Jim Broadbent would have been like as Del Boy as originally planned.

I wonder how much it would have effected the stuff with Rodney as the joke always was about the size difference would Nicholas Lyndhurst have still got the part or would they have had Rodney as the smaller brother.

Plus would the character of Roy Slater ever been brought in as I feel that was just to get Broadbent on the show (and TBF the ones with him in are some of the very best ones)
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The part of Jones was first offered to Jack Haig who was too busy with other commitments; Clive Dunn was then approached and also proved reluctant . The next day it was offered to David Jason who accepted. In the meantime Clive discovered his old friend John Le Mesurier had accepted a part so he agreed and the offer to Jason was withdrawn, all in 24 hours !
    Thorley Walters was considered for Mainwaring as was Jon Pertwee but both turned it down so Lowe got the part.
    Robert Dorning was the first to be considered as Sgt Wilson.
  • ganderpoke66ganderpoke66 Posts: 2,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've no doubt Wisdom would have excelled at the physical comedy but Crawford's childlike innocence, serial dimness and camp buffoonery make's Frank Spencer a comedy great.
  • bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Victor Meldrew was originally offered to Geoffrey Palmer. I actually think Palmer would have done a good job, but nobody could top Richard Wilson's portrayal.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    bookaddict wrote: »
    Victor Meldrew was originally offered to Geoffrey Palmer. I actually think Palmer would have done a good job, but nobody could top Richard Wilson's portrayal.
    I've always seem him as a laid back person, even in straight, serious roles.
    Can't see him shoutinng and jumping about like Wilson did.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The makers of Cheers originally considered Ed O'Neill (better known as Al Bundy) and Fred Dryer for Sam Malone. Shelley Long beat Julia Duffy to the part of Diane Chambers, and John Lithgow was up for Frasier Crane. John Ratzenberger auditioned for the role of Norm Peterson and was unsuccessful, but apparently he delivered such a hilarious rant to the the producers that the character of Cliff Clavin was created especially for him.
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doris Day apparently said no to playing Jessica Fletcher (Murder she Wrote). Though I can see what she would have brought to the part.

Supposedly Bing Crosby was also offered Columbo.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Doris Day apparently said no to playing Jessica Fletcher (Murder she Wrote). Though I can see what she would have brought to the part.

Supposedly Bing Crosby was also offered Columbo.

Peter Falk was the 3rd actor to play Columbo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bert_Freed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Mitchell_(actor)