Would Too Many Characters Spoil 50th?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
Forum Member
✭✭
Because an important milestone is coming up, many people are using this in hopes of seeing their favorite characters return, and the lists I've seen have been long.

But, is this really a good thing? Would having all these characters really the best? I've seen people want Rose, Jack, Martha, Donna, Mickey, Wilf, TenTwo, the Master, Davros, Daleks, Cybermen, Daleks, Ace, Romana, Ian, Susan, Amy, Rory, every living Doctor, and a lot more back for the 50th, but is it a wise choice to try and have as many characters return? Would having so many returning characters hurt the story rather than help it?

For example, look at 'The Stolen Earth/'Journey's End'. RTD had tried to stick in so many characters in to his story but in the end no one really did anything.. The only thing anyone accomplished was to have their Deus ex Machina trumped by Davros' own Deus ex Machina and to make the Daleks look more like a threat (only to have another Deus ex Machima beat them in the end).

We know that the 50th will contain at least between three and four characters, The Doctor, Clara, maybe River, and the Big Bad. So how many more would we be able to fit before it begins to hurt the plot?

I'm not saying bring no one back, that would be a bit disappointing, all I'm saying is that we should be wise as to who we should bring back. At the very least, past Doctor should return, and 'The Three Doctors' showed we could have good stories without returning companions.

Comments

• tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel exactly the same. I think the plot will suffer if there are too many old characters involved.
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tomwozhere wrote: »
    I feel exactly the same. I think the plot will suffer if there are too many old characters involved.

Agreed. It should feature 2 of the 3 the companions from the first ever episode in 1963 (Susan and Ian - the actress who played Barbara is unfortunately no longer alive) and the current companion (Clara). No one else.
  • RooksRooks Posts: 9,079
    Forum Member

That's why many people are annoyed about only getting a single anniversary episode. Doctor Who has a long and rich history that a single episode would struggle to celebrate properly. If they ran 5 episodes across the week then they could easily bring in a number of characters from the shows past without it feeling crowded.
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about a kind of This Is Your Life Doctor concept. There could be guests brought in to talk, telling their funny stories of when they met the Doctor. The Doctor could join in and laugh about the little stories. At the end they give him his book with his pics of his adventures.:D
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IF it's a single hour-long episode then yes, it would be totally unworkable to weave all of the characters fans want to see into a good story.

But we don't know what form it will take yet.

The bottom line is I think it's almost destined to be a disappointment to hardcore fans - they could never do enough. I'm coming around to the idea that maybe it's better to just have a panto, power on past this particularly huge albatross and concentrate on making the next series really good.
  • tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it depends on what each person wants and expects. For example, If The Doctors Wife was tweaked so that 10's console room was replaced by an older one, had other references chucked in and was made a bit more arc-linked (possibly Clara's mystery is addressed, not resolved) it would have been a pleasing special for me. It would have nods to the past but without losing it's modern feel. Although I want and I'm expecting something even bigger and better than The Doctor's Wife.

People are saying it's an anniversary of the whole 50 years not just the the 8 since it started again. They're saying that it shouldn't be something brand new or it won't be showing any respect to the classic series. But I really don't see how they can centre the episode around the classic series. If they do something big, exciting and new whilst still referencing the classic series, I'm sure it won't be a disappointment.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    No. Next question :p
    Who cares about the plot? I'd be happy with 90 minutes of the surviving Doctors arguing over who's costumes better, they can do a decent plot anytime, they won't have another excuse to bring Paul McGann in.
  • gingerfreakgingerfreak Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Who cares about the plot? I'd be happy with 90 minutes of the surviving Doctors arguing over who's costumes better, they can do a decent plot anytime, they won't have another excuse to bring Paul McGann in.

Ha ha! I think I agree with this!
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    Given that every actor with an equity card has said they definitely aren't in it, too many characters is the last thing to worry about. I'm picturing Matt in a Beckett style monologue. The Doctor's Last Tape. Or something.
  • prof_traversprof_travers Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    Yes, too many characters would be ... well ... too many.

What the 50th needs is just enough characters. :p
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At this point in time ANY characters would be welcome................
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    the right amount is always obviously best
    however a 50th anniversary needs to be self indulgent
    but also attempt to please fans of all eras
    mother nature and the passage of time have already insured there will be too few of those who should be with us
    restricting the scope of the anniversary to 1 or 2 eras would be a greater mistake than atempting a grand all ecompassing spectactuar and falling short buy feeling too busy for some people
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Or Tennant back.

**ducks**
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As it's a 50th you have to expect him to get a bit nostagic looking back at his past lives and companions. Dorium told him he has a long and terrible past and his future at trenzalore is even more terrifying. Plus we have had stuff about rememering in S7 part 1. Maybe thats what he needs to do. He lost himself when he "died". Now he needs to face the past before he can fight for his future.