What happened to the silence and Kovarian after Utah ?

Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Last time we saw them they thought they had killed the doctor. Preventing him reaching trenzalore. Continuing the "endless bitter war". Doubt that would be the only thing they ever did. Like the GI they seemed to have a lot of influence and power. Kovarian was left alive. They could easily come back at christmas or some time in the new series next year.What would you like to see them do next ?.

Comments

• andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    How do you know Kovarian was left alive ?. The last we saw of her she was being attacked by her eye patch, which if I am correct, is not removed, kills the wearer. I also assume that the Silence knew she was being affected by this and chose to do nothing about it thus letting her perish. A lot of "if's" I know but I have always assumed that she is now dead.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 491
    Forum Member
    Wasn't that part about Kovarian cancelled by the time reset?
  • FATCHOPSFATCHOPS Posts: 626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasn't that part about Kovarian cancelled by the time reset?

Yes that's right.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were sucked back into the convoluted plot hole from which they came.

Nah, I guess they just stopped after they thought he was dead. Maybe the Doctor erasing himself has counteracted them noticing him. Like sort of changing the adventures he has. They say, "Look, we have 120,000 records of the Doctor doing stuff", so the Doctor erases some and has some more. They don't detect he is back alive and running about.

But that is convoluted as well. :o

Would be good to see them back though, answer some questions, etc.
  • C. SamuraiC. Samurai Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    They probably would be slapping themselves since it's the person they brought up to be a weapon that actually answers the question to save The Doctor and his troope, and allows the GI to mess with time....
  • YosheeYoshee Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    The way I see it, they could return eventually, but they don't need to and probably won't at the moment. Their plot arc was finished in 'The Wedding of River Song'. The Doctor was 'killed' at Utah. As far as the Silence know, they succeeded in killing him, and therefore prevented him from reaching Trenzalore. The Doctor then erased himself from every database in the universe, to hide himself from the Silence and let them continue to think he was dead.

So at the moment, they're probably just there, doing Silence-y things (being silent?), in the knowledge that the Doctor is dead. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    They are currently investigating how they Doctor could firstly die (for good) at Utah and his body be burnt, then secondly die (for good) at Trenzalore and his body turned into his time stream. Eventually, they'll realise that the two events are TOTALLY INCOMPATIBLE and if he's still entombed at Trenzalore, then the Doctor MUST have survived the Astronaut. It doesn't matter if the Doctor isn't on any databases, if the tomb's on Trenzalore, then the Silence will know they failed.

The Answer? They'll come back all guns blazing to get the Doctor, this time for good! Or they'll think 'sod it' and forget all about it. Or they'll just stick a few armed guards on Trenzalore and shoot anyone who tries to access the Tomb - far better then their original plan.

Alternatively, they'll watch 'The Name of the Doctor' and see that Clara will sort everything out for them. In fact, with River's distinct lack of keenness to get back in the suit and kill him, they should have changed their plan and got her to hang around with him - they both seemed happy with that anyway. Then she could jump in the time stream herself if necessary - and you know she wouldn't hesitate. The Doctor and River could have got up to all sorts of fun in the meantime and actually built up a believable relationship, before heading off to the Library. The Silence would be happy, because they'd protect the Doctor's timeline (and of course, the Doctor's such a monster,his timeline and legacy must be preserved at all costs :rolleyes:

I doubt Moffat will bother us with the details, though. He's not a detail person. Or a logic person,
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I don't think we'll be seeing them again to be honest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    I don't know... part of me thinks that Moff could/might circle back and somehow tie the Silence and the Great Intelligence together in some way at Trenzelore.... don't ask me how, though :p
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrimps wrote: »
    They are currently investigating how they Doctor could firstly die (for good) at Utah and his body be burnt, then secondly die (for good) at Trenzalore and his body turned into his time stream. Eventually, they'll realise that the two events are TOTALLY INCOMPATIBLE and if he's still entombed at Trenzalore, then the Doctor MUST have survived the Astronaut. It doesn't matter if the Doctor isn't on any databases, if the tomb's on Trenzalore, then the Silence will know they failed.

The Answer? They'll come back all guns blazing to get the Doctor, this time for good! Or they'll think 'sod it' and forget all about it. Or they'll just stick a few armed guards on Trenzalore and shoot anyone who tries to access the Tomb - far better then their original plan.

Alternatively, they'll watch 'The Name of the Doctor' and see that Clara will sort everything out for them. In fact, with River's distinct lack of keenness to get back in the suit and kill him, they should have changed their plan and got her to hang around with him - they both seemed happy with that anyway. Then she could jump in the time stream herself if necessary - and you know she wouldn't hesitate. The Doctor and River could have got up to all sorts of fun in the meantime and actually built up a believable relationship, before heading off to the Library. The Silence would be happy, because they'd protect the Doctor's timeline (and of course, the Doctor's such a monster,his timeline and legacy must be preserved at all costs :rolleyes:

I doubt Moffat will bother us with the details, though. He's not a detail person. Or a logic person,

It was a bit remiss of The Silence not to rush to Trenzalore after the events of TWoRS and check that the Doctor's tomb had in fact disappeared. Too late now.

And they must feel a bit embarrassed by the fact that all that kidnapping and brainwashing of River was totally unnecessary because the suit acted on it's own anyway, it seems.

So probably they've been sacked by the head Silent (maybe his was the voice we heard in the Tardis in TPO, or maybe not. Who knows?) and sent back home in disgrace. But given that they were behind every human invention from the wheel to spaceships, I wonder what we are going to do without them?

Do you think Moffat thinks more than two episodes ahead?
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a bit remiss of The Silence not to rush to Trenzalore after the events of TWoRS and check that the Doctor's tomb had in fact disappeared. Too late now.

And they must feel a bit embarrassed by the fact that all that kidnapping and brainwashing of River was totally unnecessary because the suit acted on it's own anyway, it seems.

So probably they've been sacked by the head Silent (maybe his was the voice we heard in the Tardis in TPO, or maybe not. Who knows?) and sent back home in disgrace. But given that they were behind every human invention from the wheel to spaceships, I wonder what we are going to do without them?

Do you think Moffat thinks more than two episodes ahead?

I think at times he forgets to think two minutes ahead...
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FATCHOPS wrote: »
    Yes that's right.

As it stands at the moment, Mme Kavorian and the Silence have never existed, as time was 're-booted' by the Doctor.
  • So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    As it stands at the moment, Mme Kavorian and the Silence have never existed, as time was 're-booted' by the Doctor.

:confused:

Of course Madame K and the Silence both existed after the Doctor rebooted the Universe, they were in Series 6! Which believe or not takes place after the Series 5 final. It's only the events of the Wedding of River Song that were erased, hence Madame K still being alive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    Maybe the Doctor having gone back to erase all records of him from history ended up preventing the Silence from having existed in the first place (as they couldn't have formed without knowing about the Doctor).
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    So 3008 wrote: »
    :confused:

Of course Madame K and the Silence both existed after the Doctor rebooted the Universe, they were in Series 6! Which believe or not takes place after the Series 5 final. It's only the events of the Wedding of River Song that were erased, hence Madame K still being alive.
    Tiggerpooh was referring to that episode, not The Big Bang.
  • So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JAS84 wrote: »
    Tiggerpooh was referring to that episode, not The Big Bang.

Still, the Silence and Madame K most definitely do still exist. Only the alternative universe was erased, not the whole concept of the Silence. I'm not quite sure how anybody could have thought that was the case.

(and please note tiggerpooh that this and my previous post were not written to be as rude or smartarse as they're coming across).
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    tiggerpooh wrote: »

I'm also not understanding this thought - the world in which Kovarian was killed, where the Silence took over - was an alternate collapsed timeline caused by River changing the fixed point in time.

Kovarian and the Silence exist in the original timeline just as they've always done - River allowed time to return to its normal flow.