Anne Hathaway - Too successful now, let's knock her down

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
Forum Member
✭✭✭
That seems to the attitude towards her these days. A very talented girl can't enjoy her success without some cynical people saying she is unlikeable.

I was quite sad to hear some of the crowds outside the Baftas had booed Anne when she was walking the red carpet.

I say enjoy your success and congrats on the award. Richly deserved.

Comments

• NotaTypoNotaTypo Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    downtonfan wrote: »
    That seems to the attitude towards her these days. A very talented girl can't enjoy her success without some cynical people saying she is unlikeable.

I was quite sad to hear some of the crowds outside the Baftas had booed Anne when she was walking the red carpet.

Some of the "fans" at red carpet events are autograph sellers. They're the ones who probably didn't appreciate her late arrival because it meant they couldn't add to their profits.

I love her. She's a funny, intelligent, ridiculously beautiful actor who deserves her success. It was only a matter of time before she won major awards. She's been there or there abouts for a few years.

Now if only the academy would get up of it's arse and give Amy Adams the gong too!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amy's time is coming. :) And then we can all 'hate' her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She comes in for a lot of stick on the US forums too, not sure why really, she seems pretty inoffensive to me.
  • HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shakespeare was much edgier before she and the kids came along.
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm afraid I don't like Anne as an actress. I've tried but so far it's just not happening for me and her.

But well done to her for her very successful awards' season.
  • gav016gav016 Posts: 5,836
    Forum Member
    She comes in for a lot of stick on the US forums too, not sure why really, she seems pretty inoffensive to me.

I think most people agree she deserved her many awards, just her speeches whilst winning them were all quite painful to watch. I generally like her in films and think she's a brilliantly talented actress, just she can be quite irritating - I enjoyed her Oscar speech more because she finally ditched the pretend shock and faux-modesty.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lexi22 wrote: »
    I'm afraid I don't like Anne as an actress. I've tried but so far it's just not happening for me and her.

But well done to her for her very successful awards' season.

I agree Lexi. I haven't seen Les Mis so she may be great in that but she isn't usually my cup of tea. However, she's someone with a good career and a talent and she is famous rather than infamous and so good on her.
  • user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Short hair doesn't suit her.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,916
    Forum Member
    I like her. :)
  • Julie_EvansJulie_Evans Posts: 2,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Short hair doesn't suit her.

I really like her hair short, not as short as Les Mis, but she looked lovely at the BAFTAs and Oscars.

She seems a real sweet girl to me.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen her in many interviews on US Talk shows and also hosting SNL and she's only too keen to poke fun at herself and genuinely doesn't take herself too seriously which, for me, makes her very likeable.

And that's without taking her clothes off in most of the films she does as well ;)
  • BadKid95BadKid95 Posts: 7,137
    Forum Member
    I liked her in Les Mis and I wasn't a big fan of the film but my favourite film of hers is Devil Wears Prada
  • user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really like her hair short, not as short as Les Mis, but she looked lovely at the BAFTAs and Oscars.

She seems a real sweet girl to me.
    That I agree with but l think long hair suits her better.
  • artlesschaosartlesschaos Posts: 11,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She does not appeal to me as an actress...and nothing I have seen changes that. Don't hate her. Just don't really want to watch her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She had to cut her her for Les Mis
  • Julie_EvansJulie_Evans Posts: 2,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She had to cut her her for Les Mis

Yes, I know that :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    The whole world knows that. But aside from her showing off her lady garden to the world, gushing uncontrollably when giving speeches, talking about using one of her awards to hit herself over the head to to dispel self doubt, throwing a hissy fit and ditching her dress 3 hours before the Oscars because someone elses (alledgedly Amanda Seyfreid) was too similar and not telling the Valentino press office, rehearsing her Oscar speech over and over to make her more likeable, why don't I like her? Gee, I just don't know.
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's an odd thing to say about an actress but she needs a bit more confidence. She just comes across in interviews as a bit needy a bit unsure that people like her. That will probably pass in a few years and she will be a lot more likeable. I certainly want to like her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's needy but I don't think she deserves this kind of disdain. It's close to bullying.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moireen wrote: »
    She's needy but I don't think she deserves this kind of disdain. It's close to bullying.

People throw in the word bullying too easily nowadays.

She tries far to hard to be likeable which makes people suspicious that they are being lied to. She needs to just relax and be herself and accept the fact that some people will like her and others won't but you can't control that.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,195
    Forum Member

It's not that exactly. I did like her in the past. But ever since award season started last year she has constantly been "On" If she just relaxed and be like she was before, i wouldn't think she was so fake, because she wasn't like that in the past.

:confused: Does that make sense???
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,290
    Forum Member
    No one is knocking her down

Some idiots booed. Big deal. They mean nothing.
  • katkimkatkim Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Anne Hathaway, but she was annoying during the award seasons. She just came across as so frantic and desperate, even though she was a shoo in to win every gong going. I just wanted to sit her down and tell her to relax and enjoy it. Hopefully she goes back to being quirky and adorable now that it's all over rather than awardzilla.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand why some have a dislike for her. If they don't rate her as an actress, fair enough, but as a person she seems pretty unoffensive to me. I see nobody had any problem with Daniel Day-Lewis rabbiting on during his speach on Sunday, but when Anne does there's a problem?

People can say she was always going to win, but as both Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe have said, when you win one, and the next one, and the next one, there's that pressure to keep on winning. I imagine she was quite nervous all along during the award season, especially as being in Les Mis was a childhood dream of hers after seeing her mum in it when she was younger.
  • katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree with this - I can't comment on anything else - but she was fantastic in Les Mis - and very good in a totally different role in The Dark Knight Rises.