Sound Delay on Samsung TV with External Speakers

I have a Samsung 26" TV (LE26R88BD) and because the sound is not very good I have just bought an external speaker system (Samsung Sound Bar HT-SB1g).

When I plug the Sound Bar into the Audio Output of the TV there is a sound delay between the Sound Bar and the TV's internal speakers - It is only a split second but it is enough to give a slight echo.
(It is also possible to have an Optical Cable connection between the two which I also tried but there was still an echo.)

I have just phoned Samsung who suggested that I either listen to the Sound Bar with the internal speakers turned down or vice versa. It is something to do with the Digital Processing.

I wanted to have both the Sound Bar and the TV speakers working together with the TV speakers acting like center speakers.

Is this a common problem with most TVs when connecting external speakers or just Samsung (or even just my Samsung model)

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is never a good idea to have the TV speakers and any external speaker system "live" at the same time. Sometimes it works OK but more often than not the two sets of speakers interfere with each other in various ways.

Generally ending up with a less than optimal sound quality. Especially given how crappy the sound is from most LCD TV's (though Samsung do seem to have a reputation for poor sound).

Samsung are right, use the soundbar only. That will give you the best sound overall. Forget about the TV speakers. All they will do most likely is muddy the stereo image and colour the overall sound. And that is quite apart from the echo problem.
  • ngc1967ngc1967 Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the quick answer.

Due to the lack of space that I have (i.e. no room for more Video/DVD/Cinema Surround units etc.) I opted for the Sound Bar system.

I was hoping to install this on the wall behind my TV but due to wall mirror (which has no where else to go) I can only wall mount it high up right near the ceiling.

I haven't installed the Sound Bar on the wall yet but I am now wondering whether I will get a wierd sound/picture experience as the TV will be in front of me (line of sight) with the speaker 1.5m above.

I will be looking at the TV picture with the sound coming from above. That is why I would have prefered an additional sound coming out of the TV as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The speakers being up that high will be fine. You will not really sense that they're not close to the TV. My 7.1 system is 2m above the centre of my LCD and almost a metre above the centre of my projector screen. It's not a concern. being off-axis to the left or right *would* be a problem.

You must turn the TV speakers off though. They're not up to the job!
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do not stick the soundbar up at the top of the wall. The best place for it is right under the TV

Putting it up near the ceiling will compromise the sound, probably making it sound way too bass heavy. That is the usual result of sticking speakers in corners. It may not be the most elegant solution but sitting it on the TV cabinet in front of the TV would be best. ie the Soundbar would be along the bottom of the TV screen.

The optimum position for the speakers is at or slightly below ear level. The horizontal centre of the sound bar should also be aligned with the horizontal centre of the TV for the best results.

Putting the speakers up at the ceiling level and possibly not aligned correctly with the TV picture is not going to do them any favours.
  • ngc1967ngc1967 Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all the advice. I will have a play around tonight when I get home.