IPhone 5 unable to update OTA?

Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,328
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As title ive just done my iphone 5 updated through OTA on the phone, 20 odd MB file took about 2mins to download/install and do the whole process, now when checking for updates on my mrs phone it says unable to update?

So i went onto Itunes to do it via the computer, which is working but its downloading the whole 1.23GB file? :confused: cant itunes just do the incremental 20 odd mb update? if i download/install the 1.23GB file isnt that going to wipe the phone? (even though i clicked on ''update and install'' ?

Confused.com!

Cant find the incremental file via google either, its all 1.23GB files.

Comments

• The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    OTA can only be done over the air. You'll have to update via iTunes and it will be the full download of 7.0.2

Have you tried rebooting the Phone (hold the power and home button until the apple logo appears) then trying to do the OTA update again. Must keep an internet connection available the whole way through the process (until the black screen with the apple logo/progress bar appears at least)
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Needs wifi to do it.
  • Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OTA can only be done over the air. You'll have to update via iTunes and it will be the full download of 7.0.2

Have you tried rebooting the Phone (hold the power and home button until the apple logo appears) then trying to do the OTA update again. Must keep an internet connection available the whole way through the process (until the black screen with the apple logo/progress bar appears at least)

Yeah i know OTA can only be done OTA lol but what i meant was its 20-25mb OTA or 1.23GB doing it on itunes, i just thought i could download the OTA (much smaller file) via the internet somewhere.

I have tried rebooting as in turning it off and back on, what your describing is a soft reset i believe, which i could try i guess. Havent got the phone to try at the moment but ill download the 1.23gb file tonight then when ive got the phone tomorrow i can just install it.

Cheers guys
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich_L wrote: »
    Needs wifi to do it.

It does indeed, but my issue isnt that, is the fact that i cant even search for the update in the first place, normally you can search/look for updates through your 3G data, then it will say up to date or yes there is an update, connect to wifi to download ;)
  • tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,650
    Forum Member
    Lidtop2013 wrote: »
    It does indeed, but my issue isnt that, is the fact that i cant even search for the update in the first place, normally you can search/look for updates through your 3G data, then it will say up to date or yes there is an update, connect to wifi to download ;)

I didn't get the 7.0.2 notification on 3G or 4G at work but ONLY when I got home and connected to WiFi.
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the reasons you can't do OTA update via data network purely down to Data limits? Else specially with 4G can't see why it needs WiFi.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just done it via itunes, worked fine on there, phone is now updated to 7.0.2 and also it now successfully checks for updates fine too, two birds, one stone, thats what i like :D

EDITED to say good job the OTA works now because it looks like there will be another update soon as another bug has been found to do with pass code(although not as much of an issue)

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/09/27/ios-7-0-2-lock-screen-vunerability/