Do you get charged for using supermarket "cashback" facilities by credit card company

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,626
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi all,

I was wondering - instead of paying a fee to use my credit card in the cash machine (which I don't anyway out of principle) - if I used the "cash back" facility which has been offered in the past by ASDA - due either the supermarket or credit card company make any charges?

I haven't heard ASDA offering "cash back" for a while now - does anyone know if they still offer the service?

When I last heard them offer it I didn't have a credit card but I do now and was wondering if the service would be useful to me?

Many thanks,

Steve.

Comments

• DinkyDooDinkyDoo Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work at Asda and I can tell you now, that you wont ever get asked if you want cashback if you are using a credit card.

The tills dont offer the option when paying by credit card, only debit cards give the option to get cashback.
  • grtrekkiegrtrekkie Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    you will only get charged if you use the credit card in a cash machine to withdraw money. normally about 2%
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many thanks for the info - I was just curious to see if it was possible to avoid the cash advance fee (either 2.5 or 3% not sure which need to find out).

I guess the credit card companies don't allow retailers to offer cash back on credit card transactions because they wouldn't be able to collect their cash advance fee from the ATM's. I appreciate the cost of the logistics involved to keep the ATM's restocked but I think 2-3 percent is a bit steep perhaps?

Steve.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Some credit cards give you cash back when you shop in a supermarket. Barclaycard does.

However from what I read this is a different terminology and they give you the money as a loyalty bonus for how much you spend.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you have a local independent shop that has a card machine separate to their till units, and a good rapport with the cashier, then it is possible that they can 'overcharge' you on the cad machine and give you the 'change'. I have done this a few times, but don't do it that often - I think if you did it a lot then they wouldn't do it. Like I say, you will probably need to know the person behind the counter and it is probable that very few places will do it...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember not only do you pay a fee for cash from Credit Card but the interest rate for cash is high as well.
    It's not a good idea to get cash off your Credit Card.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 266
    Forum Member
    duffystev wrote: »
    Remember not only do you pay a fee for cash from Credit Card but the interest rate for cash is high as well.
    It's not a good idea to get cash off your Credit Card.

And interest is charged from that day - there's no grace period like there is for purchases.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cordunkni wrote: »
    And interest is charged from that day - there's no grace period like there is for purchases.

I didn't know that but I don't use my credit card for cash.