This season's Big Bad a Buffy rip-off? (spoilers)

PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
Forum Member
✭✭
From the snippets we've seen so far, the Silence seems worrying close to The Gentlemen from Buffy.

http://buffy.wikia.com/wiki/The_Gentlemen

Not just the similar look, the the string-pulling, and the whole silence gimmick.

Comments

• Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    erm they really don't look much like them really, it's only superficial similarities, like dark clothing and a chrome dome. Big deal.

I hate the term rip off, i remember how Planet of the Dead was going to be a "rip off" of Pitch Black according to some on here....remind me how that panned out again? Not even close was it?
  • PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    erm they really don't look much like them really, it's only superficial similarities, like dark clothing and a chrome dome. Big deal.

I hate the term rip off, i remember how Planet of the Dead was going to be a "rip off" of Pitch Black according to some on here....remind me how that panned out again? Not even close was it?

In terms of pure "look" I'm not sure how you can say they are different at all. The exact same suits, and virtually the same makeup (just one has an over-exaggerated mouth, and one no mouth)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right.. So because they are both bald with rather ugly faces and make silence fall they are the same? Actually, that backfired because they are quite similar when you put it like that..
    But the Silence are forgotten as soon as you take your eyes off them, the gentlemen werent..
    and I've gotta say.. If they are anything like the gentlemen they'll be shiit scary. I was terrified of them (I was also about 8)..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    In terms of pure "look" I'm not sure how you can say they are different at all. The exact same suits, and virtually the same makeup (just one has an over-exaggerated mouth, and one no mouth)

What the heck????:confused:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-jK88kuqm_gs/TaO8ms8SIHI/AAAAAAAACiA/0c8iD_obvFs/s400/The+Silence.jpg
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How is that radically different from this?

http://www.starstore.com/acatalog/Buffy_Gentlemen_bust_L.jpg

the entirely different shape and texture of the head and skin, the entirely dissimilar eyes, the entirely dissimilar ears, the entirely disimilar lower face, the absence of any visible mouth, the entirely dissimilar hands...

frankly, the people that claim they are "rip offs" of the ood have more points in their favour.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the entirely different shape and texture of the head and skin, the entirely dissimilar eyes, the entirely disimilar lower face, the entirely dissimilar hands...

frankly, the people that claim they are "rip offs" of the ood have more points in their favour.

When you're bringing up "skin texture" as a main differentiator, you're onto a loosing argument...

It's like you arguing that the new daleks were not based at all on the old daleks, because some of them are now blue.

And as I said "silence" is main idea behind both of them.
  • Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ha, even if they are, let's not forget the the Borg are essentially highly based on the Cybermen.

It's about time DW "borrowed" something back from the States. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ha, even if they are, let's not forget the the Borg are essentially highly based on the Cybermen.

It's about time DW "borrowed" something back from the States. :D

And if you're going to steal, steal big. The Gentlemen were the best baddie on US television for years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you're bringing up "skin texture" as a main differentiator, you're onto a loosing argument...

It's like you arguing that the new daleks were not based at all on the old daleks, because some of them are now blue.

And as I said "silence" is main idea behind both of them.

so you've focused on one word in my post and ignored everything else i said?I think you'll find THAT is what is being on to loosing an argument is actually.

Fact is they don't look that much like them really.

As for the main idea behind them...they are called The Silents, but, how do you know what their main idea is? From what little i know of the episode, their main thing seems to be something else entirely, but there you go....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so you've focused on one word in my post and ignored everything else i said?I think you'll find THAT is what is being on to loosing an argument is actually.

Fact is they don't look that much like them really.

As for the main idea behind them...they are called The Silents, but, how do you know what their main idea is? From what little i know of the episode, their main thing seems to be something else entirely, but there you go....

I'm guessing you'll deny the obvious similarities even if Moffat talks about them as inspiration.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing you'll deny the obvious similarities even if Moffat talks about them as inspiration.

well this was actually the inspiration, if your actually interested to know where the idea for them came from...

http://www.paperstone.co.uk/images/NewsImages/2010/scream.jpg

as reported here:

http://www.list.co.uk/article/33696-doctor-who-monster-based-on-scream-painting/

Also there is a lot of difference between inspiration and rip-off.

Rip off implies stealing, and breech of copy-write, which to me seems rather a strong word to use, don't you?
  • Octopus_PrimeOctopus_Prime Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From the snippets we've seen so far, the Silence seems worrying close to The Gentlemen from Buffy.

http://buffy.wikia.com/wiki/The_Gentlemen

Not just the similar look, the the string-pulling, and the whole silence gimmick.

The only thing they have in commen is that they wear suits.

They look nothing alike, for one the silence don't even have mouths to have evil smiles.........the Silence look more an awesome design the Greys (alien abduction and stuff), and as muttley said the picture the scream......which was basis for them read this ......... (LINK)

I cant really imagine the slience slowly floating from place to place.

Plus I'd love to see a link that you haven't pulled out of you butthole that quotes Moffat saying anthing about the gentlemen being inspiration.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    You can obviously see the similarities, I immediately thought of the gentlemen why I saw the pictures of the silence. I dont think steven moffat has ripped buffy off but I would be very surprised if he hasnt been just a little bit inspired. As I have just posted something identical to this in another forum before stumbling upon this thread, as I said there, I would bet anything that when people look at a silent they lose the ability to speak or make noise very similar to the gentlemens ability.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The gentlemen from Hush scared the hell out of me....Buffy is my all time fave show! and that episode is one of the finest pieces of television ever made.

So yes, If The Silence was to borrow, be influenced by anything it would have to be something petrifying and :cool: and big! so why not the gentlemen! PLUS The Silence have their own spin, and look JUST as terrifying to me by image alone. They are a force that will wreak havoc i am sure...also SO SO SO excited :)
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    This is the second or third theory about who they were supposedly ripped off from now, didn't Moffat say he came up with the idea for them or at least their story arc when he was a kid?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the second or third theory about who they were supposedly ripped off from now, didn't Moffat say he came up with the idea for them or at least their story arc when he was a kid?

When he was 12 I believe he said. There are a few similarities, but I think that's just coincidence as they look more like the typical Area 51 alien crossed with The Scream