Doctor Who - Dark Eyes

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,546
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So they are releasing Dark Eyes a bit early (along with the main range release and the companion chronicles) and it will be available for download from tomorrow morning and box sets sent out next week.

I am so stupidly excited for this. The 8th Doctor is my Doctor, and I cried ridiculous amounts at To The Death. Lucie Bleedin' Miller!!!

The main range trilogy with Mary Shelly was great, but this is a direct sequel, following directly from To The Death so is much more exciting because of that.

Also, I know Paul and Big Finish were keen to change the look but I am feeling that this leather jacket look is really bridging the gap between 8 & 9... Although Big Finish have said that the ridiculous fan started rumours about Paul McGann wanting to record less stories per year were rubbish. So they have big plans for the 8th Doctor. Guessing box sets rather than main range of spin off series.

Anyone else excited??

Comments

• outsideoutside Posts: 5,610
    Forum Member
    Despite the fact that I think Briggs is one of the worst BF writers, I've got the CDs ordered. Didn't know it was being released early so cheers for that. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I don't mind him on projects like this. And Paul could turn anything into gold.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    The title comes from ...
    Eight giving Molly the nickname of Dark Eyes
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hardly a spoiler, he says it in the trailer.

Interesting erm... contribution anyway.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Hardly a spoiler, he says it in the trailer.

Interesting erm... contribution anyway.

I just spoilered it in case people didn't know about it:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    I just spoilered it in case people didn't know about it:)

I am still not sure why you even felt it worth posting, never mind spoilering.

There was nothing else to it, no contribution, offering of opinion. Just a random fact.
    The episode Lucie Miller is named after Lucie Miller the character
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am still not sure why you even felt it worth posting, never mind spoilering.

There was nothing else to it, no contribution, offering of opinion. Just a random fact.

:confused: Why was this worth posting? Just to be rude?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rude like pretty much everyone on this forum? The treatment people get when they do not fit into a clique on this part of the DS forum is disgusting. I just speak as I find since the last time I was treated like crap.

And no, this was not to be rude. It was a ridiculous post to make and I questioned it. That is kind of it.

But to stay on topic, I still have no clue what their post was even about.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have finished Dark Eyes now, a slow download but very worth it!

Excellent follow up to the series and so many places this can go. Great great work.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listened to the first episode, really liked it. Love the companion. At least it's somewhat more upbeat than the last series, here's hoping Nick Briggs resists the urge to exterminate everybody as a finale.
  • Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    Listened to the first episode, really liked it. Love the companion. At least it's somewhat more upbeat than the last series, here's hoping Nick Briggs resists the urge to exterminate everybody as a finale.
    Nope, they probably all get exterminated while the Doctor is watching helplessly, and he is completely broken afterwards.
    ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, they probably all get exterminated while the Doctor is watching helplessly, and he is completely broken afterwards.
    ;)

Have you ever thought of sending your CV to Big Finish? Your idea sounds like something they'd love. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Series 4 did have upbeat moments. Just a heartbreaking end.

Not sure why that is a bad thing, it was outstanding drama.
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,055
    Forum Member
    thanks for the tip-off. Will download tonight.

I'm a big fan of the 6th Doctor audio adventures, but have started to listen to the 8th Doctor too. I thought 'To The Death' left a lot of unanswered questions such as why
    the Doctor's great grandson Alex had no time lord DNA
    so hopefully the new season of 8th Doctor stories will begin to answer some of those mysteries.
  • gslam2gslam2 Posts: 1,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't listened yet - will wait until the cd's arrive.

I like Briggs but he does make RTD look restrained in terms of the use of the alien invasion of earth as a plot device.

Lucie Miller/To The Death had its moments but seemed to revel in brutality, Sheridan Smith pretty much held it together though. The recent UNIT Dominion story was also pretty good but apart from the Seventh Doctor and Klein lacked memorable characters. Hopefully this will be better.
    Forum Member
    What a disappointment. The plot was the kind of thing Briggs has been writing since the Audio Visuals - big Sci-Fi concept which relies on Doctor Who continuity rather than working as proper drama. I found it needlessly protracted
    (do we need another detour into "what if the Daleks weren't evil"?)

and the dialogue clumsy and uninspired.

As for Molly... jeez, her character's an embarrassing cliche; so Oirish she may as well come from Craggy Island. Constantly referring to her mammy, the "tardy box" and that chuffin' penny whistle just made her sound like a simpleton. I was really looking forward to Molly's introduction but she's no match for Lucie.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    outside wrote: »
    What a disappointment. The plot was the kind of thing Briggs has been writing since the Audio Visuals - big Sci-Fi concept which relies on Doctor Who continuity rather than working as proper drama. I found it needlessly protracted
    (do we need another detour into "what if the Daleks weren't evil"?)

and the dialogue clumsy and uninspired.

As for Molly... jeez, her character's an embarrassing cliche; so Oirish she may as well come from Craggy Island. Constantly referring to her mammy, the "tardy box" and that chuffin' penny whistle just made her sound like a simpleton. I was really looking forward to Molly's introduction but she's no match for Lucie.

Total opposite feelings, and you do seem to be well in the minority on this one. I hope they carry on exactly like this, it was a beautiful story for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was okay I guess, I really liked the first part, but it got progressively worse, with the happy daleks that were as the doctor pointed out, nonsense and a level of techno babble in episode 4 that Toby Jones even appeared to be weighed down by. I did like Molly O'Sullivan though, surprised no other writer has ever thought of having a character call him The Doctor throughout. I don't think it was bad overall, but I didn't think it was great either. The boxset story they released last month, UNIT Dominion, was better.

What was the point of making a big song and dance in DWM over the costume change; it didn't come into it as far as I could see.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I enjoyed reading in DWM about Molly and the language she uses, apparently they researched this to make sure her language was accurate for an Irish woman in that era. Simpleton? I think it is you who is missing the point, she isn't from 2012.
    JCR wrote: »
    What was the point of making a big song and dance in DWM over the costume change; it didn't come into it as far as I could see.

It is audio, you cannot see audio... The nearest you would get is the front cover, I am struggling to work out what you wanted to 'see'. The 'song and dance' in DWM even states that the only mention in the episode is that his costume is ripped and never states what he changes into. Just that he changes.
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed reading in DWM about Molly and the language she uses, apparently they researched this to make sure her language was accurate for an Irish woman in that era. Simpleton? I think it is you who is missing the point, she isn't from 2012.

You're clearly only interested in your own opinion so don't bother making more any more threads on a public forum.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're clearly only interested in your own opinion so don't bother making more any more threads on a public forum.

Ha, not at all. You gave yours, I gave mine. I backed mine up with some further information from DWM about how they researched the part.

Does this forum only work by people stating opinions and never questioning others? Or do people get to argue both sides and have opinions?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BF have put a trailer up for Dark Eyes 2, out next month.

http://bigfinish.com/releases/v/dark-eyes-2-978
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Series 4 did have upbeat moments. Just a heartbreaking end.

Not sure why that is a bad thing, it was outstanding drama.

It's not a bad thing when done right. When you do angst and tragedy like that, it needs to lead to something, and we saw the end result of Eight's adventures in "The Night of Doctor". He went from being a wide-eyed optimist to a broken, desperate man who chose to become someone who he knew would do things he would never do. You either break that character down completely, or use it as a way to build them up.

It's when you make everything horribly tragic, without it actually amounting to anything, does it become bad. If the character doesn't grow, or learn anything from these experiences, and only angsts about them, does it start to become awful. That's actually my biggest gripe about the Tenth Doctor's era.
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    Mrfipp wrote: »
    It's not a bad thing when done right. When you do angst and tragedy like that, it needs to lead to something, and we saw the end result of Eight's adventures in "The Night of Doctor". He went from being a wide-eyed optimist to a broken, desperate man who chose to become someone who he knew would do things he would never do. You either break that character down completely, or use it as a way to build them up.

I agree that the tragedy was in the contrast between his persona in the TVM and what he had 'become'. I thought it was a good idea to alter his appearance rather than trying to make McGann play seventeen years younger, because it allowed you to imagine all the stuff that might have gone on between these two points. The tragedy relied on the change and chasm, plus of course the metafictional tragedy of his Doctor having had the least screentime.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dark Eyes 2 is out now.