Supermarket Ready Meals

TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
Forum Member
✭✭
They got a lot of bad press, but some of them are pretty good. The ASDA Extra Special ones are really good and only £2 each in the frozen section. Anyone recommend any others?

Comments

• MidiboyMidiboy Posts: 8,263
    Forum Member
    M&S Orkney crab linguine and duck with noodles and hoisin sauce are my current two favourites.
  • John_ElwayJohn_Elway Posts: 5,121
    Forum Member
    Don't eat them myself though will get things like mash potato or fresh veg if I'm running late and want to eat something good.

I agree though, the all get bad press which doesn't apply across the board.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's nice to see a thread which isn't slagging off ready meals. I'm afraid I virtually live on them I don't enjoy cooking, and can find neither the time or the inclination. I always buy the Healthy Options/Count on Us/Eat Smart meals, normally with chicken in or sometimes fish. I don't eat pork, beef or lamb. These meals are low cal, low fat, low salt. I usually have something in a sauce and do my own veg to go with it like broccoli, sweetcorn, carrots, jacket potato etc.

I often am afraid to say anything about it on this site for fear of being slated to be honest, there are always threads stating what crap microwave meals are, well yes, some of them are horrendously high in salt and preservatives, but there are alternatives, and I enjoy them!
  • inactivevolcanoinactivevolcano Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure if this qualifies as a ready meal, but my favorite ready meal, (if it qualifies as a ready meal that is! :p) is a seafood selection pack from Morrisons which consists of prawn, mussels, crabsticks and rice. I have found it very filling indeed, and all for a very cheap price. (I can't remember the exact price, but it was between £1 and £2. :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if this qualifies as a ready meal, but my favorite ready meal, (if it qualifies as a ready meal that is! :p) is a seafood selection pack from Morrisons which consists of prawn, mussels, crabsticks and rice. I have found it very filling indeed, and all for a very cheap price. (I can't remember the exact price, but it was between £1 and £2. :cool:

Are you sure it doesn't contain sea horses?
    ;):D

But seriously: not sure this counts either, but Sainsbury's has a half price offer on its stonebaked-tasting pizzas just now so they're under £2. I find the Margherita a tasty and substantial quick supper with some extra onion and tuna or whatever pimped on top and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
  • inactivevolcanoinactivevolcano Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    Are you sure it doesn't contain sea horses?
    ;):D

But seriously: not sure this counts either, but Sainsbury's has a half price offer on its stonebaked-tasting pizzas just now so they're under £2. I find the Margherita a tasty and substantial quick supper with some extra onion and tuna or whatever pimped on top and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
    I LOVE onion and tuna! :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I LOVE onion and tuna! :cool:

;)
    Off topic alert but in the days when Pizza Express had the market pretty much to itself, my pizza of choice was usually a Veneziana with extra tuna and onion. And then a lot of chili oil.

:)

To hop back on topic, the ready meals I've never had much luck with are Chinese, especially ones including duck and/or noodles.

The sauces so often seem too gloopy or thin.

Any recommendations gratefully received.

Oh, I've just looked back through the thread after posting this, and will check out midiboy's recommendation of the M&S duck and hoisin noodles.
    :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 283
    Forum Member
    When I was getting my kitchen fitted I found the M&S Gastropub meals nice. I liked the lamb hotpot. I also liked their Singapore noodles.