Sam Rubin - Samuel L jackson Gaffe

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 578
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26134784

I have to be fair here, Samuel L Jackson is just making himself look a bit of a cock by twisting this into a racism 'thing'.
Its easy to get two people mixed up, I do it a lot and colour doesnt come into it at all.

Ok the interviewer should have had some research done beforehand rather than coming across as a dumbass but SLJ has made himself look a fool and quite arrogant by the manner of his response.

I am famous, you should know who I am, I am important, are you being Racist etc etc....
Yawn - it sounds a bit to much of a princess complex to me SLJ, If I saw you in the street, Id have to think about who you were first before realising - but I wouldn't recognise Kim Kardashian or probably Nicole Kidman either if they were knocking around by Boots the Chemist.

Some people are not in love with you mate, just deal with it - I have too!

Comments

• BelaBela Posts: 2,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No he's not making a cock of himself, he's asking that a so-called professional interviewer does his homework. There's no excuse for confusing him with Lawrence Fishbourne - apart from anything else, they look nothing alike. It would be like confusing eg. Tom Hanks with Alec Baldwin.

The intention of course wasn't racist but it certainly was lazy and unprofessional. Rubin was rightly mortified at his cock-up.

SLJ was absolutely right to not let it lie.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. Its not easy to get two people who look nothing alike mixed up! Its ridiculous!
  • looby383xlooby383x Posts: 3,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing is, lindyhop1976, whilst you might not recognise Nicole Kidman in Boots the chemist, you probably would recognise her if you were asked to do an interview with her - you would probably also do a bit of research and look into recent projects to discuss with her.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't Jackson have a reputation for winding up journalists? He tried to make one say the N word when being interviewed about Django Unchained.
  • BobbyNoMatesBobbyNoMates Posts: 1,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't think Samuel L Jackson comes across badly at all. He dealt with it gently with a smile on his face. He ribbed the guy (in a pretty funny fashion) because the journalist hadn't done his job properly and was caught out live on telly.

I found it all quite funny.
  • GlenLGlenL Posts: 1,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, he wasn't the first person to make that mistake ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwuxVEy59rw&feature=player_detailpage#t=85
  • kjhskj75kjhskj75 Posts: 2,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And there was me thinking it was Charlie Brooker who was confused with Lawrence Fishburne.

https://twitter.com/charltonbrooker
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,290
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't recognise Kim Kardashian or probably Nicole Kidman either if they were knocking around by Boots the Chemist.

lol

Of course you would.
  • Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    Doesn't Jackson have a reputation for winding up journalists? He tried to make one say the N word when being interviewed about Django Unchained.

That was a great interview because he proved how silly it is for people to say the "N word".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fishburne has a big face. Jackson has a rather small face. And they don't get the same roles.
    I would recognise Jackson in Boots - he would be wearing a beret and a kilt.
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    "I'm the only black guy in Robocop who isn't a criminal"

:D:D:D:D:D
  • Nat28Nat28 Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26134784

I have to be fair here, Samuel L Jackson is just making himself look a bit of a cock by twisting this into a racism 'thing'.
    Its easy to get two people mixed up, I do it a lot and colour doesnt come into it at all.

Ok the interviewer should have had some research done beforehand rather than coming across as a dumbass but SLJ has made himself look a fool and quite arrogant by the manner of his response.

I am famous, you should know who I am, I am important, are you being Racist etc etc....
    Yawn - it sounds a bit to much of a princess complex to me SLJ, If I saw you in the street, Id have to think about who you were first before realising - but I wouldn't recognise Kim Kardashian or probably Nicole Kidman either if they were knocking around by Boots the Chemist.

Some people are not in love with you mate, just deal with it - I have too!

What a stupid argument
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd probably recognise him in Boots over the Kim woman. I agree that the interviewer should have done his job better. He looks nothing like Fishbourne. Although, I'm a big film fan, so know who a lot of actors/actresses are.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SLJ calls the original movie's director Peter Verhoeven, but his name is Paul Verhoeven. The host should have pulled him on that and said "See Sam, nobody's perfect!"
  • JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    Samuel L Jackson is indeed making himself look a bit of a cock.

Ok perhaps an entertainment reporter should know the difference, but it is not a serious matter and it is arrogant of the man to assume so much importance for himself.

How undeniably cheap to turn it into a race issue too.
  • Rose*~*Rose*~* Posts: 7,008
    Forum Member
    JELLIES0 wrote: »
    Samuel L Jackson is indeed making himself look a bit of a cock.

Ok perhaps an entertainment reporter should know the difference, but it is not a serious matter and it is arrogant of the man to assume so much importance for himself.

How undeniably cheap to turn it into a race issue too.

'to assume so much importance for himself'? He was being interviewed. The least you can expect is for the interviewer to know your name!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A simple 'thats Lawrence Fishbourne dude not me!!' would have sufficed.
    the interviewer would have still felt stupid without the jibes needing to continue.

I hope that when I become a multi millionaire film star, I am a bit less of a **** ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nat28 wrote: »
    What a stupid argument

what an amazing response!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bela wrote: »
    No he's not making a cock of himself, he's asking that a so-called professional interviewer does his homework. There's no excuse for confusing him with Lawrence Fishbourne - apart from anything else, they look nothing alike. It would be like confusing eg. Tom Hanks with Alec Baldwin.

The intention of course wasn't racist but it certainly was lazy and unprofessional. Rubin was rightly mortified at his cock-up.

SLJ was absolutely right to not let it lie.

Totally agree with this post.

Frankly, I don't know how anyone could mix up the two men unless they are blind and dumb. It was an absolutely crazy error to make.
  • Nat28Nat28 Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what an amazing response!

Thanks. Im proud of it myself