The problem with an older actor playing the Doctor (future multi-Doctor stories)

TributeTribute Posts: 820
Forum Member
✭✭
One of the drawbacks of having an older actor like Peter Capaldi is that in 20-25 years there's a fair chance he'll no longer be with us, and therefore obviously unable to appear in potential multi-Doctor stories.

Would you like to see a lookalike play his role as Richard Hurndall did for William Hartnell, or will we have to accept that although Eccleston, Tennant and Smith could all appear, Capaldi's Doctor would have to be written out of any story?

Comments

• FriendlyGoatFriendlyGoat Posts: 4,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ecclestone is 49 and he doesn't want to take part now, so it doesn't really matter does it?

It's not like they can have Hartnell, Troughton or Pertwee in the show now either.
  • PalmerwhoPalmerwho Posts: 1,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tribute wrote: »
    One of the drawbacks of having an older actor like Peter Capaldi is that in 20-25 years there's a fair chance he'll no longer be with us, and therefore obviously unable to appear in potential multi-Doctor stories.

Would you like to see a lookalike play his role as Richard Hurndall did for William Hartnell, or will we have to accept that although Eccleston, Tennant and Smith could all appear, Capaldi's Doctor would have to be written out of any story?

Don't wish him away already!

Him being a fan, I don't see a return being an issue tbh.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To think, Smith will be Hartnell / Capaldi age come the 75th.

Eccleston will be 74 and won't commit to a part because it isn't the 100th anniversary.

Tennant will also be considered too old to return, because of how much running will be involved... or something.

In the meantime, I would like to think that Capaldi will make it to Baker age :D
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hardly matters. In 50 years of the show there have been only 4 official multi-Doctor stories.
  • saralundsaralund Posts: 3,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given that the Doctor isn't supposed to age, there's a limit to how old his past incarnations should look, surely?
  • FriendlyGoatFriendlyGoat Posts: 4,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saralund wrote: »
    Given that the Doctor isn't supposed to age, there's a limit to how old his past incarnations should look, surely?

As old as a human being can possibly be, surely? It's superficial. Unless I'm missing your point?
  • Lady of TrakenLady of Traken Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hardly matters. In 50 years of the show there have been only 4 official multi-Doctor stories.

Agree with this so much....Sorry but the tone of the OP is frankly a bit distasteful bringing up Capaldi's age & that he may not be around to participate in a future multi doctor story.

I will enjoy and appreciate his performance for however long he wants to do it whether its 3 years, 10 years or longer.:p
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Meh, what's really important is that he's available for the part now, and that he plays it well.

Besides who knows what Matt will be up to in 20 years time? A younger actor is no guarantee of a future return.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    saralund wrote: »

The Doctor does age, just very, very slowly. Look at Hartnell.
  • saralundsaralund Posts: 3,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Doctor does age, just very, very slowly. Look at Hartnell.

I don't think he visibly aged in the part though, did he? That incarnation was just old to begin with. I seem to remember that his grand-daughter Susan (also a Time Lord) had to age herself artificially with make-up when she married a normal human.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So they shouldn't cast an amazing actor who is perfect for the part because we need to worry about a potential multi doctor story in a few decades? Say what?

This is why the show runner shouldn't and never will read forums or listen to fans. I mean really.
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,920
    Forum Member
    It's hardly important. By the time that it's the next big milestone anniversary where they might want to do a multi doctor story I'm sure all the Docs can be there, looking as they did when they were in the show, regardless of how much the actors have aged and whether or not they are still alive.
  • TributeTribute Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 'Doctor doesn't age' thing is a non-issue. Tom Baker is going to appear in the 50th. Believe me or not, but you'll all be talking about it on the 23rd November.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conversely, the problem with younger cast members is that, as evidenced in the case of Billie Piper, they may not necessarily possess any competence or any credible acting experience .... but, in an era of Pop Idol, X Factor etc, the Producer clearly presumed that anyone cast in a role need not be qualified to act.

This insidious attitude also manifested within the 1983-89 series with, for example, Ken Dodd cast, and worse, Bonnie Langford.

Of course, even if a competent and credible actor did feature in the show, circumstances may lead to the early loss of their life.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DariaM wrote: »
    Conversely, the problem with younger cast members is that, as evidenced in the case of Billie Piper, they may not necessarily possess any competence or any credible acting experience .... but, in an era of Pop Idol, X Factor etc, the Producer clearly presumed that anyone cast in a role need not be qualified to act.

...If you can't feed a troll, can you at least throw peanuts at him?

:D
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Compared to the Hartnell era, there are less transmitted episodes thesedays, but how long does it take to make an average Who series thesedays?

The 60's cast took the occasional break & even thesedays, scripting is structured to allow a break for the regular cast.
  • doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member

What a ludicrous, ageist statement.

Without those fine OLDER actors, you'd have no show nowadays so a little respect would be nice.

Okay, Capaldi is older, but I think it is a good thing that the show is going back to casting more on gravitas than just on looks. I prefer the idea of a 'fiercer' Doctor than another pretty face.

He is a splendid actor. Try and take a look at him playing the Angel Islington in the BBC adapatation of Neil Gaiman;s Neverwhere - I'm sure it is on YouTube somewhere.

Spellbinding. Capaldi does quiet menace very well.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In 25 years time, assuming DW is still being broadcast, there will have been maybe 5, 6 or even 7 more doctors in the role. More than enough to choose from for a multi-doc story.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Compared to the Hartnell era, there are less transmitted episodes thesedays, but how long does it take to make an average Who series thesedays?

The 60's cast took the occasional break & even thesedays, scripting is structured to allow a break for the regular cast.

Around 10 months AFAIK.
  • vampirekvampirek Posts: 4,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That didn't stop the First Doctor reappearing after Hartnell's death, plus if they wanted it they could easily CGI them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hartnell was younger than he looked; Capaldi looks younger than he is.
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

or he'll be between 75-80 years old and still going strong
  • Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's not a drawback in my opinion, as multi-Doctor stories tend to not be that great anyway. I can do without them. And - as others have pointed out - quite a few ex-Doctors are either dead now, or look nothing like they used to look, or don't want to come back.
  • lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,639
    Forum Member
    Whatever the age of the actor, there'll be a time that they can no longer do a future story. I don't see a problem.