How to install Google in tool bar?

I used to have Google in my tool bar so I could easily go to another page and/or back to something else. Please could you good folks tell me how I do that?

I have Windows 7

Comments

• ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member
  • shirley222shirley222 Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    No.. I think this is for the (what I call) main page (browser?)
    What I want is to add it to the top tool bar as an extra if you like. So where the tool bar has things like "File - Edit - View - Favorites etc. just under that I did have another Google search bar...
    Forum Member
    Hmm, I'm not quite sure what you want. Can you see it on one of these images:

[link not working]

Sorry, I can't seem to get my link to work. If you type 'google toolbar' in to Google images (https://www.google.co.uk/imghp?hl=en&tab=ii) can you see a picture of what you want?
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    I think I see......Right click on a blank area along the toolbar, from the drop down box click 'customize'.
    From the box that appears drag the google search bar to an area next to the address bar.

Sorry if I've got the wrong end of the stick.....
    Forum Member
    call100 wrote: »
    I think I see......Right click on a blank area along the toolbar, from the drop down box click 'customize'.
    From the box that appears drag the google search bar to an area next to the address bar.

Sorry if I've got the wrong end of the stick.....

Nope... doesn't mention anything about adding Google.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to have the google search bar added in Firefox but it's not really necessary nowadays. In both Chrome and Firefox the URL box can be used to kick off a google search... Most likely the same in IE...
    Forum Member
    mred2000 wrote: »
    I used to have the google search bar added in Firefox but it's not really necessary nowadays. In both Chrome and Firefox the URL box can be used to kick off a google search...

Sorry ... :confused:
    Call me an hignoramouse.. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shirley222 wrote: »

What browser are you using?

In the box where you have your web address (www.whatever.com) try just typing anything in there, like 'pied piper', and hitting return...
  • MindeeMindee Posts: 22,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes the URL address box in Chrome is called the Omnibox.

Go to settings > search > manage search engines > set Google as default.

Edit: ..or do you mean having a bookmarks bar.?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mindee wrote: »
    Yes the URL address box in Chrome is called the Omnibox.

Go to settings > search > manage search engines > set Google as default.

Edit: ..or do you mean having a bookmarks bar.?

We don't know if the OP is using Chrome, though.

However, I've just checked in IE and even that will run a search if you just type something into the URL box so none of the three most used browsers (IE, Firefox and Chrome) actually need a Google search box in the toolbar anymore.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    We don't know if the OP is using Chrome, though.

However, I've just checked in IE and even that will run a search if you just type something into the URL box so none of the three most used browsers (IE, Firefox and Chrome) actually need a Google search box in the toolbar anymore.

Agreed, they all do, including support for a bookmarks bar too. I was just giving an example with Chrome. :)

In Firefox, there is a small separate box in the right top corner for managing what search engine can be chosen.

Not sure if shirley222 knows what she wants. :D
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=Mindee;6593690 .....

Not sure if shirley222 knows what she wants. :D[/QUOTE]

Excuse me .. I DO know what I want!

I have the Google search as my main browser setting, what I want is the same thing (an extra if you like) put into my tool bar.

I used to have this and I could click on the arrow at the side of it and get a drop down history of everything I had been using which I could then go to which made a very quick short cut.
    It ended with words "cancel all history" or something like that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't even remember the Firefox Google search box doing that...

I'm guessing you're in IE with some kind of add-on but, again - what browser are you actually using?
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unless you are using internet explorer google toolbar is RIP ... has been for a while
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have the Google search as my main browser setting, what I want is the same thing (an extra if you like) put into my tool bar.

I used to have this and I could click on the arrow at the side of it and get a drop down history of everything I had been using which I could then go to which made a very quick short cut.

Well....if you're using FF then it's left top and select "History". :)
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ahh reread things .... if using firefox could do as I do ... use all in one sidebar to access history quickly

ctrl+h puts up history
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barky99 wrote: »
    ctrl+h puts up history

Yup, ctrl+h brings up history in IE, FF and Chrome, usefully...
    Forum Member
    "File - Edit - View - Favorites etc.
    That sounds like IE, not Firefox
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member

Could you please tell us which browser you are using.....I.E, Chrome or Firefox....?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    unless you are using internet explorer google toolbar is RIP ... has been for a while

Just checked by adding Google Toolbar to IE and it does exactly what the OP has asked for (arrow next to search box showing search history). Link was provided in post #2 so I dunno if the OP has actually given it a go...

OP - go into Internet Explorer, click on this link: http://www.google.com/toolbar/ie/index.html install it and away you go...

... after installing you'll need to right-click on your IE toolbar and then click on Google Toolbar to see it, unless it loads up automatically on restarting IE...
    Forum Member
    Nope! Nothing says that.
    Tool bar at the top reads:

"a wee house"- Square orange icon - Email icon - printer - Page - Safety - ? "icon" - K (keyboard icon) - Tools

..and that's it.
  • curiousclivecuriousclive Posts: 378
    Forum Member
    Why can't you tell us what browser you are using to do this?
    Maybe we will have more chance of helping you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP, you're using IE... see post #2 and #21...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ianx wrote: »
    That sounds like IE, not Firefox

Sounds like the Menu bar shirley wants.

The menu bar is available in FF by right clicking on the add-on bar (if selected) at the bottom or if not ....in "Options".
    Forum Member
    ahh reread things .... if using firefox could do as I do ... use all in one sidebar to access history quickly

ctrl+h puts up history

Yup!! That'll be fine.
    Not exactly what I meant but it does the job..thankyou!

P.S. Hope OP doesn't mean "Old Person" :D

Mind you .. not far wrong there anyway. (-: