43 days to go and not a shred of promotion

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 203
Forum Member
Seriously - the new series of sherlock is subject to more promotion at present and that isn't likely to air until the new year - what is the BBC thinking?

Comments

• BadWolfOneBadWolfOne Posts: 172
    Forum Member
    You're wrong. They have begun the promotion. Just because it isn't a full length trailer for the episode it doesn't mean they aren't promoting it. I've seen the teaser on several occasions since it was released. Teasers are all we are going to be getting at the minute.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    BadWolfOne wrote: »
    You're wrong. They have begun the promotion. Just because it isn't a full length trailer for the episode it doesn't mean they aren't promoting it. I've seen the teaser on several occasions since it was released. Teasers are all we are going to be getting at the minute.

Well said! While I'm slightly frustrated we've had no trailer yet, the missing episodes have just generated some of the biggest hype in the show's history. And they've not had to produce a single frame of the show that's under 45 years old. If you want to avoid spoilers while drumming up chatter then whoever is doing their PR is a genius... an evil genius admittedly, but a genius none-the-less. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Personally, I find it refreshing that we havent had a trailer that usually shows things that spoil our enjoyment when it airs. I am also someone who actively sought spoilers. I have seen the Trafalger Square stuff n that is enough. I have had several episodes spoiled by trailers. A recent one was when the baby Angel blew Rorys match out. That would have been spine chilling if only shown in episode.

I could go on... but I for one am hoping that they stick to a new policy of not showing the good stuff... so Im happy for a trailer that shows as little as possible.

The title of this thread actually helps. 43days! Perhaps they will start with 30 days to go. I hope they only do one and it perhaps shows 3 Doctors with face/body shots only, and isnt a distillation of the ep with the best bits shown... but that is just me...
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sceptilian wrote: »
    Seriously - the new series of sherlock is subject to more promotion at present and that isn't likely to air until the new year - what is the BBC thinking?

The usual. The fans will watch anyway because we all know the date. The not-we's will get by with a trailer a few weeks from now. Nobody on this forum needs to see a trailer, so much as wants to see a trailer.

But the reminders are still there before and after some of the most watched shows at the moment.
  • joe_000joe_000 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the bbc are very canny..I think they've already started with whipping up interest in the show with the timely discovery of the missing episodes.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They've released the pointless hashtag thing so you can't say there hasn't been any promotion.
    Anyway, I think they'll almost certainly release the trailer within the net four weeks. After that, there'll be loads of promotion.

As Joe_000 has said, the BBC probably know what they're doing.
  • amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    Aside from Sherlock which may have been moved in the schedule, I couldn't tell you the last time I saw a trailer for a show 43 days away!
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks God for Watch TV, at least they're paying it the respect it deserves.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aside from Sherlock which may have been moved in the schedule, I couldn't tell you the last time I saw a trailer for a show 43 days away!

To use the Atlantis example:
    CD93 wrote: »
    They did do it. For Atlantis.

Teaser Trailer: August 16th

Teasers: 23rd August - 29th August

Trailer: 7th September

Air Date: 28th September

Five teasers, one full trailer and a clip in the 43 days before broadcast - for a thirteen episode series.

We're going to be heading in to that time period soon. But there's still 58-9 days to promote the broadcast - and over the next two weeks, there's still little precedent.

We have already entered the no-footage teasers stage! So if it follows suit, the trailer should be heading our way around the 1 month mark.
    Thanks God for Watch TV, at least they're paying it the respect it deserves.

So long as they show more than a measly nine episodes, eh? ;):p
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the BBC are doing things just right by doing the whole 5 second thing, hopefully they will gradually build it up as the weeks go by to the anniversary and for me, that's the best way to go about it. I still don't get why people want a trailer with the anniversary over a month away.

After all, you'd still have to wait November 23rd until you see it!

:)
  • Sharon87Sharon87 Posts: 3,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm happy they haven't started promoting it intensely right now, otherwise it'll just be like Christmas. Starting promoting it end of October and by the time it comes around you're already bored of Christmas!

Either that or you keep seeing trailers and then get impatient when you realise it's over a month away!
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some strange attitudes on here as always.

People would get bored of promotional material, really?

OK.....but I don't get why.

As for Watch showing the DW programme - WE DON'T ALL GET WATCH!!! This programme should be on BBC3 or BBC4.

I'm now so past caring, due mainly to the disgusting way the BBC has treated the show and the fans in the anniversary year, that I'm not bothered whether I see DW ever again or not.

I've completely lost interest in the whole thing.

I'll now leave you all to your "The BBC is always right" idylls. Have fun!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    See you next thread, Granny ;) We all enjoy this too much to lose interest.
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5 fear her
    4 love and monsters
    3 unicorn and the wasp
    2 night terrors
    1 god complex
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oops wrong thread meant to post in new who episodes you wish were lost forever sorry.:o
  • bbll22bbll22 Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good on the BBC for not going overboard with promotion at this stage, really well done!

These gentle little stings are exactly what should be done at the moment - it's got my parents talking about the 50th when they've seen them (they don't watch the show by the way), so it's doing its job to get a general audience aware of it coming up next month.

So long as even when we are in November itself that the promotion isn't done to the OTT extremes ala the End of Time then I'll be happy. TEoT over-promotion really got on my nerves as a viewer and fan, so hopefully the Beeb will balance it just right for the 50th.

I'm certain they can do that!
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,920
    Forum Member

Of course people get bored of promotional material. They promoted The White Queen endlessly for what seemed like months before it started. By the time that it did start I was so bored of the trailer that I didn't bother to watch the show.

As my mum always says, you can always tell when a program is going to be rubbish because the Beeb will promote it endlessly.

Aside for trailer there's loads of other promotion going on about the show at the moment anyway.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. This endless promotion of The Day of the Doctor is really getting tiresome. It must rubbish. I'm as always with Granny on this. Utterly bizarre attitudes. Even saying fans don't 'need' a trailer! What's need got do with it? How about it might be nice and ramp up the excitement a bit. Of course I am just an impatient child among all the saints on here.
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,920
    Forum Member
    Yes. This endless promotion of The Day of the Doctor is really getting tiresome. It must rubbish. I'm as always with Granny on this. Utterly bizarre attitudes. Even saying fans don't 'need' a trailer! What's need got do with it? How about it might be nice and ramp up the excitement a bit. Of course I am just an impatient child among all the saints on here.

Excitement isn't being ramped up? Have you been living in cave this past week?

Doctor Who was one of most read and shared articles on the BBC News site during the week. Last time I looked the episode of Web and Enemy were dominating the top 10 on iTunes.

See it's not all bad! Chill out. There will be a trailer in good time... it's in post production. There's still over a month to go!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    The promotion is spot on right now, fans already know the time the date, some of the stranger but still lovely fans even know what they'll be wearing and what they'll be eating, they don't need a trailer, you hook the casual viewers and the lapsed fans with a trailer. Now don't get me wrong I want a trailer I check in everyday for news of when the trailer will be, but I don't see the need to be negative that there hasn't been one yet.
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As for Watch showing the DW programme - WE DON'T ALL GET WATCH!!! This programme should be on BBC3 or BBC4.

I'm now so past caring, due mainly to the disgusting way the BBC has treated the show and the fans in the anniversary year, that I'm not bothered whether I see DW ever again or not.

Personally speaking, for me this isn't about whether the BBC is right all the time or not(which frequently it isn't), this is about timing.

When I used to work in a supermarket, the Xmas stock used to come in September and from then until Xmas, it was so much forced down my throat that by the time Xmas actually arrived I was sick to death of it.

In principle, it's the same with the 50th anniversary. IMO, I wouldn't want to see that trailer plugged day and night on the Beeb for over a good month before it gets here. Then I would start getting annoyed at seeing it and by the time it got here, I'd probably be just as fed up with it as I had done with Xmas as I said above. The BBC have overkilled on many trailers before, and not just on Doctor Who. I think The End Of Time was hugely overhyped, not just because of the trailers but because Tennant was seemingly everywhere on TV that particularly Xmas.

Yes, in the two or three weeks preceding the anniversary the show is going to be overhyped everywhere and I can live with that but over a month?

Just think that's too much.

We all want to enjoy the anniversary and have Doctor Who get loads of exposure during November but I don't want to see it so exposed it gets tiresome.

:)
  • mrprossermrprosser Posts: 2,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just be thankful you get to see it. I have to be out of the country due to work, and by the time I see it there will have been stories, spoilers rants and raves giving the whole plot away.

It makes a refreshing change not to have trailers giving the plot away, some trailers these days go so far that you know what happens without having to see the episode/film
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fallucas wrote: »
    The promotion is spot on right now, fans already know the time the date, some of the stranger but still lovely fans even know what they'll be wearing and what they'll be eating, they don't need a trailer, you hook the casual viewers and the lapsed fans with a trailer. Now don't get me wrong I want a trailer I check in everyday for news of when the trailer will be, but I don't see the need to be negative that there hasn't been one yet.

I'll have my fez and my TARDIS mug ready :D
  • F1etchF1etch Posts: 4,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dunno about "not a shred". I watched a 5 minute segment on the 10 oclock news last night where the 50th was mentioned quite a few times and it probably didn't cost them a penny (dr who production) in advertising revenue. That along with the exerts on the BBC.co.uk site is probably more promotion than they could ever hope for and it isn't costing them a thing. I inagine moffat and co will be loving the coverage the show is getting as a reult of the missing episode find because whenever it is mentioned on news channels they always mention the 50th and the anniversary year etc etc.
    Keep with the #STD, couple weeks before release a short trailer like the BBC "Doctor has a secret you know.." drama trailer for NOTD and with all the other PR they will be laughing to the bank. Good thing too as the multicast and cinema release is probably costing them a fortune.
  • Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Really? Really?! Surely you have to admit that's a bit of an overreaction. Hell, even if they did nothing on the promotion front, I wouldn't stop watching DW. Because I love the show. Sure I would be pissed as hell at the BBC, but that has no impact on my enjoyment of the show.

Surely if you love the show, you should direct your anger solely at the BBC, but still appreciate the show not stop watching it just because. Otherwise, it's like hating the lieutenant because of their captain's orders.