Liz Jones - YOU magazine (Part 4)

Comments

• Mommie DearestMommie Dearest Posts: 412
    Forum Member
    No-one posts on this thread any more. Is interest in Lizard at an all time low?
    For one thing, her ramblings are becoming increasingly even more insane - "hot drinks are a sign of weakness" (something she has written before) WTAF? 500k a year for THAT?!
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just think she is getting boring. She witters on about the same thing every week and nothing changes. There is only so many times you can read text messages from someone else and her angst. I used to look forward to her column and read it first when I opened the magazine. Now I read it last, and scan read it. Its yawnsome.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    I just think she is getting boring. She witters on about the same thing every week and nothing changes. There is only so many times you can read text messages from someone else and her angst. I used to look forward to her column and read it first when I opened the magazine. Now I read it last, and scan read it. Its yawnsome.

I used to love following this thread but I agree with all you say about LJ becoming so boring there is now nothing to say about her. Ever since she hooked up with David she's become even less of a journalist than she already was. I can't believe she is paid 500k a year to churn out drivel that would have probably not even made the pages of Jackie back in the day! Why her employers still give her the time of day, let alone such a huge paycheck for doing what is basically F all is such a mystery I can only conclude she knows where a LOT of bodies are buried.
  • BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »

Snap.. I just cannot be bothered anymore. It's like she just keeps writing the same old same old and all we get are copies of texts or emails. dull dull dull.
  • jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ditto.

It's not even rancid enough to take the pee out of. Just yawnsville, and has been for a couple of months.
  • cathrincathrin Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree it's been so abysmal (and repetitive) recently, there's nothing much to joke about any more! This week's Diary was just another tedious cut-and-paste text/email job, but it was actually quite intriguing to see the change in the way Liz has started portraying the relationship. Poor DS seems to have shed his previous persona as dashing romantic hero, and is now cast as a needy, insecure teenager desperately seeking constant reassurance from their first love. (wasn't this how Liz herself was behaving towards him until recently, endlessly asking him why he didn't want her 30 years ago, why he wants her now, and whether he will continue to love her? When did the roles switch?)

Meanwhile Liz has taken to casting herself as a chillingly cold-hearted partner relishing having the "upper hand" in the relationship, brusquely dismissing his feelings and concerns, telling him it's not "helpful" for him to voice these complaints, and that "Pulling me up on small things is only going to annoy you and me", which actually sent a bit of a chill through me! It sounded like "Know your place!" Add to this the way she constantly rubbishes his friends and exes, and her endless reminders that he loves her more than he has ever loved anyone, (she might as well write "Have you got that message, exes and family? He loves ME more than YOU!") and it all adds up to quite an unpleasant picture. (A couple of the comments on the DM site have picked up on this interestingly.)

Of course, there's no knowing how accurate an impression of the relationship she is giving her readers--but even if it's all fiction, it's still rather startling that she is happy to portray herself in such an unappealing light!

Even the Diary heading seemed to have a faint tinge of subtle cruelty about it, referring to David having got upset over the things she's written about him. (If he's upset that she's written about him, how upset is he going to be when he reads that she's written about him being upset?) :o Ditto the references to things she didn't write about before (but in telling her readers that she didn't write about them before, she neatly manages to write about them now!) We've seen her use this trick so many times before when someone has (perfectly justifiably) complained about something she's written. Her comeback is always the same "I didn't write anything that bad...it's not as if I told my readers about XYZ" (proceeds to go into intrusive detail about XYZ!)

Oh, and on a different note, Liz, grown-up writers do not put "ha ha" in brackets after they've made a weak pun. Most people grow out of that by the time they've left primary school!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another thing that has taken the fun out of reading LJ articles online is the Daily Mail having FAR tougher modding when it comes to the comments than they used to. Reading the fighting between LJ's supposed fans and anti-fans was always more entertaining than anything in the articles themselves, as well as observations from the dedicated sleuths out there who would point out LJ's inconsistencies, outright lies, and general batshittery.

I used to look forward to pointing and laughing at her along with the more intelligent and witty commenters, but we can't do that anymore.
  • SeabirdSeabird Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do wonder it the MOS are actually aware of the content of the Diary or if it just gets automatically printed with no screening or editing because as others have said, it's beyond parody now and nothing even worth commenting on. Vicki Pollard meets Kevin the Teenager as pensioners but without any humour. It is still fascinating that each week one new supporter will appear from nowhere with a brand new shiny account name for the Mail and say exactly the same as other mysterious one-off posters; 'Liz is hilarious, self-deprecating, it's not meant to be taken seriously...' no example of such side splitting humour is ever expanded upon, only that her critics are jealous of her. I have nothing against people enjoying her work but it is quite clear that either she or a minion is posting under different usernames each week with EXACTLY the same whiny comments, a bit like Liz's Diary.
  • nosilauknosilauk Posts: 647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still wonder why noone is pointing out that she met and wrote about David Scrace prior to their "big reunion" last year. Having the article she wrote in 2005 removed from the Mail website does not unfortunately remove the proof of her "inconsistencies" http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-137367589.html
    Forum Member
    nosilauk wrote: »
    I still wonder why noone is pointing out that she met and wrote about David Scrace prior to their "big reunion" last year. Having the article she wrote in 2005 removed from the Mail website does not unfortunately remove the proof of her "inconsistencies" http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-137367589.html

I think the full transcript of that article is on this thread somewhere.
  • fizzycatfizzycat Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    I'm another one who's given up commenting on the same old same old but this leapt out at me -

What about the time wasted by people who sip tea, cradling a mug with hands that should be rebuilding this country?

Add this to her assertion that hot drinks are a sign of weakness and I'm left wondering what she was planning to do with the Illy coffee she was so disgusted at her village shop for not stocking. :confused:
  • CyanideCindyCyanideCindy Posts: 495
    Forum Member
    Another one here who has given up reading or commenting on Liz Jones.
    Yes, Liz first mentioned David Scrace in 2005, it can be found on Highbeam as nosilauk says:

The Mail on Sunday (London, England)
    October 9, 2005 | Copyright
    Byline: LIZ JONES
    **Liz,' the northern voice on the other end of the phone said. 'It's David Scrace.' This is someone I hadn't spoken to for 22 years. My first proper, proper love, someone I would have given anything in order to make him love me back.

We arranged to meet for lunch. I spent hours getting ready.

Would I be a disappointment after all these years? He had sent me a text saying he hoped he wouldn't be a disappointment.

Because he had never dumped me, I had never got over him. He was my, 'What if?' I remember what it was like, loving him.

It was a fierce longing I have never felt since.

When we met I was 20, 21 and he was 32...**

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-137367589.html

Jones lost her relevance when she divorced Nirpal.
    Her 'Married Life' MOS diary column did interest people and for a brief period she was flavour of the month - attracting hits to the Mail's website.
    It's been downhill for her ever since though - the Exmoor experience did not garner her the attention she hoped for and the Fake Rock Star nonsense left her looking desperate to keep her readership up.
    The MOS 'diary' has become third rate fiction, yet still they employ her.
    The David Scrace 'romance' is surely a mutually beneficial financial/publicity arrangement?
    She has admitted to doing CBB solely for the money.
    Perhaps LJ's days on the Mail are numbered?
    I no longer comment on her articles in the Mail - don't comment and she'll soon be yesterday's news.
  • Suzy_CatSuzy_Cat Posts: 1,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the link to the original DScrace meeting! I've been dying to read it. Now I am really intrigued to know the truth behind their getting together this time...

What I find really bizarre about this is not just the creepy codependent vibe, and not just his creepy potential abuser vibe, but the fact that Liz Jones seems to genuinely think that her feelings for him were "real love". Someone you have a huge crush on when you're 21, who doesn't actually return them, is not your First Love. He's someone you have a huge crush on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fizzycat wrote: »
    her assertion that hot drinks are a sign of weakness

How in the world did the crazy old bat come to this conclusion? How could ANYONE? :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I no longer comment on her articles in the Mail - don't comment and she'll soon be yesterday's news.

As I said, the Mail now let so few comments through on her articles there's no point in even trying anyway. I think this is the biggest mistake the Mail could have made, because even if most people hate her Liz used to get us all talking when it was actually allowed. The way they censored any trace of her appearance at THAT party (and they didn't just censor their own site, but mumsnet and Digital Spy too) was when the censorship went overboard to the point of no return in terms of giving anyone a reason to bother with LJ's ramblings.
  • BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How in the world did the crazy old bat come to this conclusion? How could ANYONE? :o

I'm off for a nice cup of weakness and maybe a non vegan biscuit or three. God I am SOOOO beneath her :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Badcat wrote: »
    I'm off for a nice cup of weakness and maybe a non vegan biscuit or three. God I am SOOOO beneath her :D

I love a nice hot chocolate on occasion.

HOW CAN I LIVE WITH MYSELF! :o
    Forum Member
    I love a nice hot chocolate on occasion.

HOW CAN I LIVE WITH MYSELF! :o

Instead of wasting time showing your character weakness by drinking hot chocolate, you should be out 're-building Britain', Like LJ does by erm ... sitting on her bum and writing bollix for a newspaper. I can really see the value that has to the national economy and solving the problems of homelessness, youth unemployment ... ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hot drinks might be a sign of weakness but refusing food lovingly cooked for you by your First, Real, Proper Love purely on the basis that you don't like chili (presumably vegan) when it is rendered rich by the addition of chocolate is not even ungrateful.

Love's Middle Aged Dream is souring enormously this week. I am addicted to this car crash.
    Forum Member
    Suzy_Cat wrote: »
    Hot drinks might be a sign of weakness but refusing food lovingly cooked for you by your First, Real, Proper Love purely on the basis that you don't like chili (presumably vegan) when it is rendered rich by the addition of chocolate is not even ungrateful.

If only he'd cooked her an omelette using those special vegan eggs she's so fond of the whole episode would have had a happier ending.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Suzy_Cat wrote: »
    Hot drinks might be a sign of weakness

But how! :o I am still trying to figure out how looney Liz got this idea, which I think is on of her weirdest yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now people are pointing out that Liz going on about The Baker's personal hygiene and untrimmed nails can only impact negatively on his baking business. Good call.

Is she really this clueless? Does failing to ask her how her day went (because that's better than suggesting that no, talking about his own work is not at all boring) really warrant putting people off buying his bread?
  • SeabirdSeabird Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As he admitted to only contacting her to plug 'his' business, Mr 5% and his senior partners must be mortified at the the type of publicity he has actually generated. I have no sympathy, even without her graphic descriptions of his lack of hygiene he deserves the humilation. Liz has fixated on him as the 'perfect man' for 30 years and it's going to take a while for the grim reality to actually hit her. Jealous behaviour is NOT a sign of 'love'. Calling your partner by the C word is never acceptable (even if it is Liz Jones!). Both seem to forget that all this will be online for eternity, who on earth would employ him in the food industry again or even date him. The RS will soon be making a convenient re-appearance but Dscrace will be forever slagged off in every article she writes in the future, like her 'husband' Nirps.
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seabird wrote: »
    As he admitted to only contacting her to plug 'his' business, Mr 5% and his senior partners must be mortified at the the type of publicity he has actually generated. I have no sympathy, even without her graphic descriptions of his lack of hygiene he deserves the humilation. Liz has fixated on him as the 'perfect man' for 30 years and it's going to take a while for the grim reality to actually hit her. Jealous behaviour is NOT a sign of 'love'. Calling your partner by the C word is never acceptable (even if it is Liz Jones!). Both seem to forget that all this will be online for eternity, who on earth would employ him in the food industry again or even date him. The RS will soon be making a convenient re-appearance but Dscrace will be forever slagged off in every article she writes in the future, like her 'husband' Nirps.

I confess to dipping in and out of this thread and seldom commenting, however, kudos to you Seabird for your brilliant assessment of La Liz and her less than spotless boyfriend. Both unsavoury characters and deserve each other. However, I don't think it will be long before she's playing her violin again and ranting in her usual self pitying style.
    Forum Member
    Seabird wrote: »

I'd also like to applaud the lovely Seabird for the wonderful post.

I give the "Romance of the Century" til Easter...tops.