Paramount

How could they possibly justify zero R2 titles?

I demand Star Trek: Insurrection R2 this very moment.

Comments

• Chris ButcherChris Butcher Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    They can't.

Trouble is Paramount don't entirely trust DVD, so they were late coming to it in the US, hence slow to commit over here.

Get your player modded for R1 (http://www.techtronics.com), and then make DVDBoxOffice (http://www.dvdboxoffice.com) your new best friend.
  • NikhilNikhil Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi i definitely agree with Chris. One of the major plus points with DVD's are the possibility to get R1 DVDs. If you buy a DVD player Get it chipped!
    If you haven't got a DVD player i recommend purchasing the Sony DVP-S725D because it is the best around at the moment at quite a reasonable price

I have seen the DVD box office price but i recommend Play DVD for region 1 and region 2 titles if you live in the UK. Their web address is http://www.play247.co.uk
    they are based in Jersey, are pretty reasonable (£17.99 for latest titles) and there is no risk of customs charges etc.

Happy dvd buying!

[This message has been edited by Nikhil (edited 02 March 2000).]
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Just a quick question. I would love to get DVD but I don't have a home cinema set up and can't see myself ever getting all these extra speakers etc. Is it still worth getting DVD if you just send the sound through your hi-fi amp and use your hi-fi speakers for stereo?

[This message has been edited by Mark Hughes (edited 19 March 2000).]
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    Most (if not all) DVD Players have L&R outputs too which you can plug whatever you want in.

Also: I think ALL DVD plays have only Scart/S-VHS outputs (no RF) so if your TV is very old then you won't be able to watch a DVD at all without some "creative" conversion device.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    I bought my Sony DVP-S725 from Upgrade Heaven (www.upgradeheaven.co.uk). They were really helpful, it arrived when they said it would (3 days) and works perfectly. It was also the cheapest chipped 725 I could find, with the best "chip".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paramount have announced UK DVD releases this week - the reasons they were so long in actually getting them out were -

1) They were waiting for CIC (who are now known as Paramount Home Video) to change around and become Paramount Home Video.

2) They "wanted to make their DVDs among the best possible", whatever that meant.

Releases in April onwards, including Star Trek Insurrection, for details see release news page on http://www.dvdnews.co.uk/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, and on the topic of players from what's been said to me in the past, and from personal experience, the Toshiba SD2109 is the best player, in terms of quality vs. price, that you can get.

It can be had fully region modified and with a 1yr guarantee from Upgrade Heaven, for around £280 last time I looked.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Also: I think ALL DVD plays have only Scart/S-VHS outputs (no RF) so if your TV is very old then you won't be able to watch a DVD at all without some "creative" conversion device."

This is true - most come with scart, svideo and composite, with both svideo and RGB Scart looking FAR better than composite.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    i modify the machines as part of my job and from the sheer build quality and reliability factor i would go with the sony range everytime i personally have a dvps325 which i got very very cheap £200 modded but even retail prices are or were as the model is discontinued just below the £200 mark!! also teh modification auto switches and disables macrovision the panasonic machine have very very low reliability.. colleagues and panasonic think it is due to the modification! (this applied to the 350/150 range at least) the samsung has very poor build quality and uses korean/taiwanese chips the tosh seems to be in a similar league to the samsung. but the samsung outputs pal so what choice does this leave you with!!!!

in my personal opinion if you can afford a 7700 (dual laserpickup very nice machine) buy one or failing that pick the one that suits your wallet from the rest of the sony range becaause they are by far the most reliable (i have not had to change a single laser on one of these machines) and have best build quality!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    £20 for a 325 oopsy typo i meant £300
    :)
  • strings of lifestrings of life Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    I have tried searching on Google for some information, but nothing clear came up, so I will ask it here instead. :)

During the VHS vs Betamax format war, which videotape format did Paramount favor supporting the most? Or didn't they really have any preference on what videotape format they would support?
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unbelievable!

Welcome to Digital Spy and congratulations on reviving a thread from the turn of the century!

This must be one of the oldest thread revivals yet!

*goes off to find the head slap emoticon.