DM Showbiz gone all US-ified?

duvindupainduvindupain Posts: 2,125
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Or is it just me?

I have no idea who chat show host, Wendy Williams is, nor am I that intrested in 'former American Idol star, Diana DeGarmo, spotted flaunting her flat stomach with fiance Ace Young.

Or, swimmer, Ryan Lochte, anyone?

These all getting a top billing on the Showbiz home page.

Or am I just further behing the times than I thought and they're actually household names?

:confused:

Comments

• big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i dont read that toe rag paper
  • duvindupainduvindupain Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good, point, well made, Big Brother 9!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pmsl .
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Or is it just me?

I have no idea who chat show host, Wendy Williams is, nor am I that intrested in 'former American Idol star, Diana DeGarmo, spotted flaunting her flat stomach with fiance Ace Young.

Or am I just further behing the times than I thought and they're actually household names?

I agree with you. Most of the stories are about people I have never heard of. I have not heard of the people you mention about - apart from Ryan Lochte - but that is only due to watching the Olympics last year.
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Been getting lots of American adverts too, Smokey the fire bear, Bill Clinton, I'm a little far from Yellowstone Park ya know. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    I think it's probably because they get more and more traffic from the US. I notice quite a lot of comments from Americans these days, particularly on those US celeb articles.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. The Daily Mail online is obsessed with little known American reality TV stars and TV shows that most British people have never heard of. Who the hell is Lisa Vanderpump when she's at home for example? They talk about shows like The Voice USA and Dancing with the Stars like we should all know what the **** they are on about, but these shows are, as far as I know, not even broadcast in the UK.

I can only assume that they are desperate to get Americans reading the site.
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or is it just me?

It's been like it for age's and they are obsessed with trash like The Kardashian's and honey boo boo just lately it is all about ' jacko's ' kids and those sodding Beckhams ,

I kinda pity people like them must be kinda lonely living for the camera and not for themselves
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's probably because they get more and more traffic from the US. I notice quite a lot of comments from Americans these days, particularly on those US celeb articles.

They certainly live up to the "Dumb American" stereotype I know that.

When the DM covered the recent hen party mini bus crash under the headline, "Hen Party Horror" several Americans commented underneath it stating that referring to women as "hens" is sexist and offensive. People kept trying to explain to them what a hen party was, and yet the comments kept on coming. They couldn't seem to grasp what a hen party was and that its not offensive at all.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree. The Daily Mail online is obsessed with little known American reality TV stars and TV shows that most British people have never heard of. Who the hell is Lisa Vanderpump when she's at home for example? They talk about shows like The Voice USA and Dancing with the Stars like we should all know what the **** they are on about, but these shows are, as far as I know, not even broadcast in the UK.

Lisa Vanderpump!! Now there's a name I shall not forget in a hurry. :eek: No idea who she is, but what a name.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lisa Vanderpump!! Now there's a name I shall not forget in a hurry. :eek: No idea who she is, but what a name.

I know. I mean if you had a name like "Vanderpump" you'd change it wouldn't you? I would :D
  • Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    Ryan Lochte, what a magnetic personality:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuV1JYgyBxY
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, I see, it deffo seems like they want to get more Americans reading it.

It's funny how there's Z-listers the world over! :D

I wonder what the American readers make of the likes of Natalie cassidy and Chantelle etc?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stvn758 wrote: »
    Been getting lots of American adverts too, Smokey the fire bear, Bill Clinton, I'm a little far from Yellowstone Park ya know. :D

:eek:

I just clicked back on the DM site and got a fundraiser advert for kids in the US!

(nowt against them, but it's deffo a sign of the site getting more US traffic!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    in answer to the op, yes they do seem to be going all american id saying they are becoming high class daily star
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spookyLX wrote: »
    It's been like it for age's and they are obsessed with trash like The Kardashian's and honey boo boo just lately it is all about ' jacko's ' kids and those sodding Beckhams ,

I kinda pity people like them must be kinda lonely living for the camera and not for themselves

I read a lot of showbiz :o:o and it took a while to fathom out who this honey boo boo and her family were.

I think the show is being broadcast over here soon?

Probably all tied into advertising revenue and the DM are getting a cut to promote it?

(cynical, me? :p)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know. I mean if you had a name like "Vanderpump" you'd change it wouldn't you? I would :D

:D

It's a cracking name, I think I'd keep it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    that is a good name, but not as good as wilberforce
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that is a good name, but not as good as wilberforce

We need to find her a Wilberforce so she can double barrell! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just thinking about it, maybe we could ship off Katona, Chantelle, Cassidy, PA, KP and all, over to the US in a showbiz trade off?

(Bank Holiday beers are taking effect, oops)

:D
  • FatsiaFatsia Posts: 1,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe that as part of their world domination plan, the DM opened a US office about a year or two ago. I also think that the fact that they are the most "popular" (most clicked-on) alleged 'news' site is directly related to that.

For myself, in the olden days I had Yahoo! as my homepage, and all their Entertainment headlines were links to the DM, which is how I first became afflicted with my addiction to the Sidebar Of Shame. I'm very ashamed of myself, but I do still visit even now Yahoo no longer links to them but has its own Showbiz team.
  • angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

To know who Lisa Vanderpump is (she's a Brit) you have to be addicted to The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills, shown on ITV2, not that I'm addicted to it or anything.....
  • ZimzammamZimzammam Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    It is because they cut and paste all their celeb news from US websites?? The flamin Kardashians are in it daily, why?? Who are they to us and why the heck should we care?? I don't know why I look at the DM website, I only wind myself up!!
  • ElCantoDelLocoElCantoDelLoco Posts: 6,637
    Forum Member
    They use very American language too - I've seen 'cell phone', 'pants' (for trousers), 'bangs' (for some kind of hairstyle??) and of course 'gotten' - not that I ever look of course *blush*
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    Fatsia wrote: »
    I believe that as part of their world domination plan, the DM opened a US office about a year or two ago. I also think that the fact that they are the most "popular" (most clicked-on) alleged 'news' site is directly related to that.

For myself, in the olden days I had Yahoo! as my homepage, and all their Entertainment headlines were links to the DM, which is how I first became afflicted with my addiction to the Sidebar Of Shame. I'm very ashamed of myself, but I do still visit even now Yahoo no longer links to them but has its own Showbiz team.

That's a perfect title for it :D I would say I'm not addicted to it myself...but I do read it at least once every day, so... :o