Why Vista Is Better Than 7

I personally think Vista is a better O/S than 7 and the link below concurs with my reasons but if you think 7 is better give me 10 reasons why?

http://variableghz.com/2012/01/why-windows-vista-sp1-is-better-than-windows-7/

Comments

• NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, as I never really used Vista, I can't take issue with you, other than to say I'm happy with 7 and prefer it to XP. Who knows whether I would also have liked Vista SP1.

One problem with Vista though is that if you're a heavy user of MS apps. then they are pretty much mandating either 7 or 8 now. E.g., no IE 10 or Visual Studio 2012 on Vista.
  • SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vista gets a bad time in general and I don't think it is completely deserved. At the time of Vista's release there was a hell of a lot of old hardware being used which did not have Vista drivers and therefore would only work under XP. I think that is a huge chunk of the problem and the subsequent negativity it received. By the time Windows 7 came out, there was a much more matured library of drivers available which gave the illusion that XP to 7 was far less painful.

Vista wasn't without other problems though. Speaking from my own personal experience. The installation of Vista's Service Pack 2 was disastrous and left my computer very unstable and I'd expect 2 (sometimes more) BSODs per day. Removal of the Service Pack immediately fixed the problem. Boot up and shut down times took forever on Vista. The desktop environment seemed a little bit laggy to me. When checking Task Manager it revealed the CPU usage was never at 0% even when completely idle.
  • 2000motels2000motels Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    Well, as I never really used Vista, I can't take issue with you, other than to say I'm happy with 7 and prefer it to XP. Who knows whether I would also have liked Vista SP1.

One problem with Vista though is that if you're a heavy user of MS apps. then they are pretty much mandating either 7 or 8 now. E.g., no IE 10 or Visual Studio 2012 on Vista.
    Which is a pity, I actually like 7 it's an excellent O/S but I prefer using Vista, it's a matter of preference, but Vista got bad press for all the wrong reasons as the hardware at the time of it's release wasn't up to the standard that Vista required and with two service packs and better hardware Vista is a superb O/S and way way better than XP.
    Forum Member
    Vista gets a bad time in general and I don't think it is completely deserved. At the time of Vista's release there was a hell of a lot of old hardware being used which did not have Vista drivers and therefore would only work under XP. I think that is a huge chunk of the problem and the subsequent negativity it received. By the time Windows 7 came out, there was a much more matured library of drivers available which gave the illusion that XP to 7 was far less painful.

Vista wasn't without other problems though. Speaking from my own personal experience. The installation of Vista's Service Pack 2 was disastrous and left my computer very unstable and I'd expect 2 (sometimes more) BSODs per day. Removal of the Service Pack immediately fixed the problem. Boot up and shut down times took forever on Vista. The desktop environment seemed a little bit laggy to me. When checking Task Manager it revealed the CPU usage was never at 0% even when completely idle.

I agree with everything you said, yes Vista has it's problems like all O/S but it's now a refined O/S and Windows 7 is built on the Vista platform and so is 8 which I detest.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never had a problem with Windows 7 yet. Obviously they couldn't make Windows 7 the same as previous OSs. I think there'll always be little things that will displease some, but it's mostly a good OS in my opinion.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vista after Service Pack 1 was a perfectly decent OS, but Windows 7 will always be better. It's basically Vista with a bunch of enhancements and it wasn't plagued with any of the issues Vista had. That being said, Windows 7 is still a pretty resource hungry OS, which is why I think Windows 8 is better than both of them.

It's designed to use less power and manage resources efficiently which is especially crucial for laptops and tablets and other devices running on batteries. Vista and 7 are good OSs, however they do have their drawbacks.
  • SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Vista after Service Pack 1 was a perfectly decent OS, but Windows 7 will always be better. It's basically Vista with a bunch of enhancements and it wasn't plagued with any of the issues Vista had. That being said, Windows 7 is still a pretty resource hungry OS, which is why I think Windows 8 is better than both of them.

It's designed to use less power and manage resources efficiently which is especially crucial for laptops and tablets and other devices running on batteries. Vista and 7 are good OSs, however they do have their drawbacks.

Not if you're using a desktop. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vista wasn't without other problems though. Speaking from my own personal experience. The installation of Vista's Service Pack 2 was disastrous and left my computer very unstable and I'd expect 2 (sometimes more) BSODs per day.

Every Windows service pack causes severe problems for some users. If you happen to be in the "some" category then you will conclude that the SP was dreadful.

I had a problem like yours with XP SP2. Worse, in fact, as mine wouldn't boot at all. I had to rebuild from scratch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I've never had a problem with Windows 7 yet.

I've had one BSOD in about 2 years but that coincided with a power surge, so not sure if that counts.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Every experience I've ever had with Vista was bad. It wasn't on old hardware either, it was on new computers bought with Vista pre-installed. A lot of the machines only had 1GB RAM which might have affected performance. Vista is an OS that makes me want to throw the computer against the wall. W7, on the other hand, seems to be fine. It's what Vista should have been. Vista is banned in our house. I think this video sums up Vista nicely: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOh6Nh8w6f8 :D
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vista had several problems on launch
    Revised driver model so you couldn't use old xp drivers for some old printer/scanner etc and a lot of the hardware drivers were not very good as the writers didn't have much time to get to grips with the new driver model
    Was going to be written entirely in .net (i think) but at some stage they cancelled that and had to rewrite it in c++ so they didn't have time to do all the optimisations required

And by the time MS had given it a good once over and fixed 99% of the problems it was too late and its rep was ruined
  • scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I preferred the look feel and the over OS of vista compared to XP.
    Xp towards the end of its run seemed and looked like a fisher price stickle brick block collection, where as for me vista just seemed a bit slicker and more refined... glossy is the word I'm looking for
    Yes people bashed it, and old drivers did not work with it, however I don't think I ever had a problem with it e.g. crashing/BSOD etc compared to XP.
    However I have had more crashes with W7 then vista.. but that's of my own doing though....
    One thing vista did better then xp no bloooming dog wagging its tail when you ran a search.. it was instant..
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    2000motels wrote: »
    I personally think Vista is a better O/S than 7 and the link below concurs with my reasons but if you think 7 is better give me 10 reasons why?

http://variableghz.com/2012/01/why-windows-vista-sp1-is-better-than-windows-7/

He only gave 7 reasons why do I have to give 10? :D

I have used Vista from when it came out to where it is now but still find Windows 7 and now 8 to be better as they are quicker and work better and would never want to use it again and can't see any of the reasons given on that site that would cause me to want to keep Vista over 7.
    Forum Member
    alan1302 wrote: »
    He only gave 7 reasons why do I have to give 10? :D

I have used Vista from when it came out to where it is now but still find Windows 7 and now 8 to be better as they are quicker and work better and would never want to use it again and can't see any of the reasons given on that site that would cause me to want to keep Vista over 7.
    Fair enough, each to there own. I have Vista on a laptop and a desktop and XP on another desktop and 7 on a fairly new laptop and I use Vista most of the time and I have the desktop since 2007 and I've upgraded RAM and Graphics and I've never had a problem with it, obviously the newer desktops with 7 and 8 on them would blow my machine away but it owes me nothing.
  • 24 Carat Sirius24 Carat Sirius Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    I didn't like how Windows Vista before SP1 had a bug with Windows DVD Maker where it hated certain codecs and would crash halfway through the encoding process.

I did like the integration between Windows Movie Maker and Windows DVD Maker where I didn't have to publish my saved project first and Windows DVD Maker would encode the project directly to DVD format, thus saving a lot of time. One of my main bedbugs about Windows 7 is that because of the lack of Windows Movie Maker, thus me having to use Windows Live Movie Maker, it is a lot more time consuming having to encode the finished project, then have to go through the process of it being encoded again by Windows DVD Maker! :mad:
  • fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from a faster start-up, I see little significant difference between Vista and W7 (I have 2 of each). One of my Vista machines has been running reliably as a media centre for five years - new installs of W7 don't have WMC unless you pay extra. I use a couple of non-MS file managers with both OS's - the W7 refresh issue is not confined to Windows Explorer and file management in general is much slower on W7.

One of the best things about Windows 7 is that it's not Windows 8.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    I find the whole OS quicker - especially filre transfers.