LoveFilm Now on Wii

-GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
Forum Member
Better late than never I suppose, but LoveFilm is now available via the Wii Shops Channels section.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    The update for wii u was out on mine this morning, it works well and I like the interface. No log in issues and the quality is very good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So if you are a lovefilm member does this enable you to stream movies and are they in HD.
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So if you are a lovefilm member does this enable you to stream movies and are they in HD.

IF he's talking about the original wii .... Then HD viewing isn't possible only SD. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    IF he's talking about the original wii .... Then HD viewing isn't possible only SD. ;)

Ah misread, thought he was on about the Wii U.
  • steven123steven123 Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent news, now I can finally enjoy my lovefilm sub in the bedroom. Hope it is a good player like the Netflix one which I was very impressed with, considering of course that the Wii is 480P only. Playback was still very smooth and clear on the Wii Netflix player, hope the Lovefilm one is too.

Very impressed that they bothered to release a player for LoveFilm at this late stage, though it does make sense considering the number of Wii that have been sold over the years and might give people reason to dust off their Wii and put it back into service as a media player. With BBC iPlayer and the Netflix one it makes the Wii a decent media solution with it's (near) silent operation and low power use, though it's still no where near PS3/X Box 360.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've tried it and it stutters badly, the Wii is the worse console Nintendo have ever brought out, netflix worked on the Wii (set to pal 60) but I don't know what is wrong with Lovefilm on the Wii, I have a Digitalstream stb and Lovefilm works no problem with that when wired up via the lan, I'm giving up on the Wii it's just bad at almost everything.
  • unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is LoveFilm available on Wii U does anyone know?
  • CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    unclekevo wrote: »
    Is LoveFilm available on Wii U does anyone know?

Yes it is. You can watch it on the tv or the controller and it's in HD as well as SD.
  • kyresakyresa Posts: 16,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    azimo wrote: »
    I've tried it and it stutters badly, the Wii is the worse console Nintendo have ever brought out, netflix worked on the Wii (set to pal 60) but I don't know what is wrong with Lovefilm on the Wii, I have a Digitalstream stb and Lovefilm works no problem with that when wired up via the lan, I'm giving up on the Wii it's just bad at almost everything.

Mine does exactly the same and I'm on VM 100mb broadband!!

Netflix is perfect, lovefilm stutters. Just as well I only got 6months for a tenner as after that, then I'm cancelling.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Netflix use Amazon for streaming so why does Netflix run smooth on the Wii but LF doesn't???

The strange thing is you can start watching a film and it's smooth but if you stop it and then go back later it starts to stutter, I've tried this on a few films and all of them do the same thing, some films just stutter all the time, I'll be ringing LF to see what they say.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Netflix use Amazon for streaming so why does Netflix run smooth on the Wii but LF doesn't???
    Netflix might use the AWS server, but AWS are not responsible for how Netflix works as that's all down to Netflix.
    AWS are only responsible for the network server.
    Likewise LoveFilm are entirely responsible for how their service works on Wii.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I rang LF today and they gave me the run around, they said it was down to buffering, if that's true then alot of Wii users are going to be very disappointed with LF on the Wii and cancel, I have my Wii hooked up via a Lan to USB adapter I've tried it with a pc and get around 10mb down 1mb up with the Wii it's about 2.7 mb down and 0.3mb up wireless is about the same :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another update got an e-mail from LF with the usual scripted reply blaming my ISP and to check with them blah blah blah when the real problem is LF and the Wii which is just not capable of keeping up its like trying to watch a youtube video at 360p fullscreen on a Via-C7 PC with 512mb of ram it's going to stutter and it has nothing to do with your broadband speed :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Blaming the Wii, but how come Netflix manage a decent job of it? Hmmm, sounds like excuses to me from Lovefilm.
    Forum Member
    Another update got an e-mail from LF with the usual scripted reply blaming my ISP and to check with them blah blah blah when the real problem is LF and the Wii which is just not capable of keeping up its like trying to watch a youtube video at 360p fullscreen on a Via-C7 PC with 512mb of ram it's going to stutter and it has nothing to do with your broadband speed :mad:

If I were you I'd reply to them and say your going to cancel your subscription and go to Netflix as it seems that they actually know how to make their service work on the same device.

One question for you, have you been using Netflix with DNS settings to access other Netflix regions?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Yeah I'd definitely give them some grief about it. I mean, I installed the YouTube Wii app this morning, and it really surprised me just how well its done. Really sweet picture,even on some of the poorer quality vids, no lag or slowdown, no problems with buffering, and a pretty excellent UI on top. How it should be done.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -GONZO-

If I were you I'd reply to them and say your going to cancel your subscription and go to Netflix as it seems that they actually know how to make their service work on the same device.

One question for you, have you been using Netflix with DNS settings to access other Netflix regions?

I did say I would cancel, they offered to put me through to cancellations and to hold the line, they don't care.

I have used Netflix in the past and I did change the DNS settings to access the US version of Netflix but I have now reset the network settings on the Wii and it only connects via the Lan to USB connector.
    Kal_El

Yeah I'd definitely give them some grief about it

I will but Lovefilm seem to think it's not there problem.
    Forum Member
    I have used Netflix in the past and I did change the DNS settings to access the US version of Netflix but I have now reset the network settings on the Wii and it only connects via the Lan to USB connector.

Mmmm must be that LoveFilm are just pants then.:D
    My Wii uses unblock-us DNS which is great for Netflix, but if I try to watch a video on the Nintendo Channel it stutters badly. Putting it back to Auto DNS resolves the issue so just wondered if your issue could be the same.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No my Wii is on Auto DNS, the stutter is more of a jitter actually as if it was encoded at the wrong frame rate, LF are still blaming my broadband when it's obviously the Wii that's the problem, I told LF to get advice from Netflix then may be it would work ;)
    Forum Member
    No my Wii is on Auto DNS, the stutter is more of a jitter actually as if it was encoded at the wrong frame rate, LF are still blaming my broadband when it's obviously the Wii that's the problem, I told LF to get advice from Netflix then may be it would work ;)

Actually, you saying this has reminded me of a similar issue I had with my Blu Ray player.
    On Sony Bravia Internet players it has LoveFilm trailers which trying to play the HD trailers was a right pain as they kept on buffering every few seconds.
    Playing HD on BBCiPlayer and HD movies on Sony Entertainment (formerly Qriocity) however played perfectly.
    For some reason they don't seem to add new HD trailers anymore.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My PS3 plays LF perfectly and so does my Digitalstream STB it just the Wii, I moved the Wii closer to my router today just to see if it would make any difference and something strange happened the wireless is quicker than the wired connection but some films still have that jitter, I've never had a buffering problem all the films seem to play within a few seconds but not smoothly some films do but it's just pot luck, LF tried to tell me that the reason some films have that jitter is because they're in HD but why send a HD Stream to the Wii you can only watch LF in HD on a PC.